iordanis
Triglot
Greece
Joined 5763 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Greek*, French, English

Message 25 of 204
27 September 2008 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
sometimes i wonder, we learn a language only from necessity, because we love speech or just because we want to live multiple lives.otherwise the mother tongue of everyone has so much depth and richness, we should provide all our life to cope with.for example my own language,ellinika-greek,is a universe.history and literature gave her so much beauty and importance, why am i attracted so much by other shores full of words
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 204
27 September 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
I'm 18 years old.
Russian - native language
English - some really basic stuff at the age of 4, somewhat more serious studies at 6-8, then classes at school/lycee and university. Advanced fluency (at least I hope so)
Finnish - flirting with the language at 11-15, quite intensive studies later on. basic fluency, aiming for advanced fluency within 1,5 years.
German - started at 13 at the lycee, still only intermediate
Latin - started at 14 at the lycee, something like basic fluency
Ukrainian - studied it for a few months when I was 16, aiming to acquire good passive skills (and I think I managed to)
Esperanto - started at 16 (just a few days before I turned 17 though:))), almost basic fluency
Belarusian - I've been exposed to this language a lot but started studying it seriously just about a year ago. Quite fluent passively, not even intermediate actively
Portuguese - learning since February, something like advanced beginner I think
Romanian - about to start learning for passive skills....

Edited by Serpent on 27 September 2008 at 8:51pm

Akatsuki
Triglot
Portugal
Joined 6083 days ago

226 posts - 236 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, English
Studies: Norwegian

Message 27 of 204
27 September 2008 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Serpent, what about your Latin?

JD
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 5951 days ago

36 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Finnish, French

Message 28 of 204
27 September 2008 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
I'm 21 years old and my native language is Swedish. Because of that, I also understand Norwegian quite well. Danish has taken me a while to get used to, the differences in pronunciation being the biggest obstacle, but nowadays I understand more and more when listening to it and I have begun to develop a fondness for our North Germanic "grimme ælling" ;) ("ugly duckling").

I started to learn English at school at age 7-8 and have reached a fairly high level, close to advanced fluency I believe.

German classes began in 6th grade, at age 12, and I'm striving for basic fluency in it in the near future (I'm currently at a higher intermediate level). I can make out quite a bit of written Dutch as well, just because of my German and English knowledge.

I've had Spanish, French and Latin classes in the past but I only remember fragments of it today.

Two years ago, I started to study Finnish at the university but I have only reached a low intermediate/high beginner level as of yet.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 204
27 September 2008 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
Akatsuki wrote:
Serpent, what about your Latin?
:D I was pondering what exactly I should write about Ukrainian and Yiddish (and decided not to mention the latter at all because I never got too far and I remember very little of it now) and ended up forgetting to mention I did start another language between German and Ukrainian :DDD

Edited by Serpent on 27 September 2008 at 8:59pm

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5689 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 30 of 204
28 September 2008 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
I'm 24 years now. I was raised in Belgium, so native dutch/flemish speaker, though through immersion throughout my life native English as well.

I get confused over the Dutch/Flemish thing, Flemish is not considered a language in any Dutch speaking region, but a dialect (or better said a collection of dialects as eastern flemish and western flemish is quite different). Yet in most language websites it's listed as a language...

Through being native in Dutch/Flemish I can basically understand and converse with Afrikaans speakers, as it's very similar, I try to work and speak more and more Afrikaans than Dutch in those instances.

I learned French as everyone in Flanders does, in last next to last year of elementary school (age 10-11) all the way up to quiting high school. Though it is not as fluent as it used to be...

Started Korean in 2005, so I was 21 then, first with 6 months of Korean saturday school, then independent. Right now I would say I rate intermediate, though I have been studying on and off previously, so I might have been better if I'd been more consistent.

I studied latin in high school (as in from age 13 on), and still remember some of it, I try to catch up on it now and then but seem to be lacking the time.

A couple of years ago I started dipping into Esperanto.

RisaXKoizumiX
Diglot
United States
last.fm/user/rei_hii
Joined 5750 days ago

35 posts - 34 votes
Studies: Italian, Spanish*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Modern Hebrew

Message 32 of 204
28 September 2008 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
holy crow...just realized im gonna be 29 2 weeks from tomorrow...0.O that goes to show how much i pay attention to things lately XD

anyway heres my listing:

Spanish-mother tongue
English-apart from picking things up as a infant/toddler i started learning it when i was 4
Italian-24 or 25...cant remember
Hebrew-28
French-28
Japanese-28
Portuguese-28....
...yea i'm a late bloomer

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version