Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5836 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 40
19 September 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
Over the years I have found that some languages are much more phonetic than others. What I have also noticed, however, is that some languages like Greek may be easier to read than to write. For example, in Greek one sound is represented by a number of letters. What's your opinion? I would also like to know whether anyone has stopped learning a language because of a particularly hard writing system. Thanks.

Ranking

Reading

Very Easy

Spanish (European or areas where ceceo is used and Latin American or areas where seseo is used), Turkish, Greek, Ukranian, Czech, Gujurati, Punjabi, Korean, Vietnamese

Easy

Italian (when reading Italian you can't tell which vowels are long and which ones are short), German, Hindi, Nepali

Moderately difficult

French, Russian, English

Very difficult

Arabic, Pashtu, Urdu, Sindhi, Punjabi, Kashmiri, Baluch, Persian, Hebrew, Burmese, Lao, Thai

Extremely hard

Japanese, Chinese

Writing

Very Easy

Spanish (European or areas where ceceo is used), Ukrainian, Turkish, Italian (if you know the word you should be able to write it), Gujurati, Punjabi, Korean, Vietnamese

Easy

Spanish (Latin American or where seseo is used), Czech, German, Hindi, Nepali

Moderately difficult

Sindhi, Punjabi, Kashmiri, Baluch, Pashtu, Urdu, Greek, French, Russian, English

Very difficult

Arabic, Persian, Hebrew, Burmese, Lao, Thai

Extremely hard

Japanese, Chinese

For each of the categories the languages are in order from easiest to hardest. So for example, even though Chinese and Japanese are both Extremely hard one is harder than the other.

Definitions

Very easy Once you've learned how the writing system works you can write any word or read any word correctly almost all the time.

Easy Once you've learned how the writing system works you can write any word or read any word around 80 percent of the time.

Moderately difficult You can read the word correctly or write it correctly around half the time.

Very difficult Even native speakers have considerable trouble mastering these writing systems.

Extremely hard Almost every word has to be learned in order for you to be able to read and/or write it.

Edited by John Smith on 24 September 2008 at 11:32am

3 persons have voted this message useful

GBarr
Uruguay
Joined 5771 days ago

29 posts - 30 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 4 of 40
20 September 2008 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
I think French is easy to read but hard to write.
1 person has voted this message useful

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5836 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 

Message 5 of 40
21 September 2008 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
GBarr wrote:
I think French is easy to read but hard to write.

I haven't done enough French to be sure but I don't find it that easy. I mean think of words like femme (fam) and fils (fis).

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6459 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 6 of 40
21 September 2008 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Italian should definitely be in the 'Easy' category for reading! It's one of the most regularly spelled languages and I think it's easier to read than German, Greek and Czech.
You say that Italian doesn't mark vowel length, but why should it? Vowel length is not phonemic in Italian. In German it is, and it's not always marked, e.g. in Swiss German 'Masse' can be 'mass' or 'measures' depending on the length of the 'a'. And how do you know that the 'a' in 'das' is short but long in 'Glas' (except in some linguistically underdeveloped places such as Hannover)?

The 'moderately hard' category is rather broad. Although French and English have some spelling irregularities and are not overly phonetic, they are not very difficult to read; I think they're not in the same ballpark as Arabic or Persian, where many native speakers have problems with reading.

Apparently, Russian is not hard to read or write. The high literacy rates in Russia seem to support this.

To mention two languages not on your list: Turkish is in my opinion the easiest (natural) language to read or write and Japanese is my candidate for the most difficult.

Edited by Marc Frisch on 21 September 2008 at 4:49am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 40
21 September 2008 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
I'd disagree about Russian being not very hard. There are few Russians that only make occasional minor mistakes, and rather many that make loads of them :/ Russian is easy to read if you don't mind sounding like a child or someone from Vologda region though ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5836 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 

Message 8 of 40
21 September 2008 at 6:35am | IP Logged 
Reading your comments I realized that whether or not a particular language is hard to read or not depends on whether or not your a native speaker! Lets take Italian for example. A native Italian speaker does not need to have a writing system that marks vowel length as he knows the words. On the other hand a learner doesn't. Since this website is about learning language I would like to look at these languages from a learners point of view. Please check the ranking. I have changed it to reflect your views. Thanks.

Edited by John Smith on 21 September 2008 at 6:47am

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version