dutos
Argentina
Joined 5723 days ago

35 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 17
12 October 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
TheElvenLord!

If MyTaylorisRich wants FSI Spanish Basic Course levels 3-4 *audio*, then he's got to buy it. No one has put those files up. You can find the Spanish Basic Course texts 3&4, but no audio.

Think about this:
The people like appreciate the FSI materials on here could essentially make a huge library with all of the public domain language materials. I think that's what www.fsi-language-courses.com tried to do, but it's been over a year since they updated that site, and there's a lot material that's there. Personally, I don't want to spend $100 or $250 for a course that supposed to be free. At the same time, I know that it's a lot of work to scan books. If someone likes to scan the books as a hobby, then fine.. I respect that, but I would be perfectly willing to donate to a site too. If you think about it, $5 from 50 people = $250, which is plenty enough to compensate someone for the course and the hours scanning (depending on their scanner, of course.)

After all, this IS NOT copyrighted material, and it feels a little rotten to see these people are profiting from the tax dollars of my grandparents and parents.
1 person has voted this message useful

irrationale
Tetraglot
China
Joined 5860 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 11 of 17
16 October 2008 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
This my answer to the original question.

How I use each unit is this way;

I read and listen to the dialog first, amd imput the words into Anki and memorize them. From then on I will completely ignore the pdf with drills and do only audio. I then listen to all the drills except the convo stimulus, without text, several times throughout the day (spaced out).

The next day, I listen to the drills again, imput the frist vocab enrichment (these start later on) into Anki, and memorize. Read the first reading.

I then continue until I can respond to nearly every drill with no effort. When this happens, I do the review drill, and the convo stimulous, as well as read the final reading. I then move on the the next lesson.

2 persons have voted this message useful

luckyboy1300
Diglot
Philippines
Joined 6377 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Tagalog*, English
Studies: Spanish, French, Japanese

Message 12 of 17
30 November 2008 at 7:18am | IP Logged 
wakefield10 wrote:
Hi,

I have been wanting to learn Spanish for a long time now and have gotten Platiquemos fsi Spanish.

I have not gotten very far and am currently on unit 6, my question is what is the best way to use the audio and pdf?

I am using it on my own and am aware that it is best used with guidance, I feel that I havnt really learn that much. I mean how many times should I listen to each lesson?

I think it was mentioned in Platiquemos that there will come a stage where you think you're not learning anything. It is because your brain is assimilating information like a jigsaw puzzle, and everything will start to make sense starting about level 3 or 4. So I guess you just have to persevere and when you arrive at level 3 or 4 you'll start to feel real progress.

roy2005
Diglot
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 6360 days ago

70 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, German

Message 13 of 17
30 November 2008 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
If you feel you can't retain anything, it might help to listen to the basic sentences for a few more times (days) before repeating after the speakers. Move on to the exercises only when you are familiar with the basic sentences.

wakefield10
United Kingdom
Joined 5717 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 14 of 17
25 November 2010 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I know this is old but I have one last question.

On some of the exercises it seems like there are no correct answers.

eg

¿Están Uds. en la escuela o en el hotel

answer : Estamos en la escuela

is it supposed to be like that? what is the point of the exercise?

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 15 of 17
25 November 2010 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
The moment I read this post, it rang a bell.

You're talking about the response drills, in particular the "choice" ones which do not provide a clue to the anwser in the prompt. The guidance is only that they "normally require full sentence replies".

In one sense, you are right there is no correct answer - both might be correct depending on context. On the other hand, the "correct" answer is the one given in the book/on the tape. You shouldn't worry too much about this, the important thing is that you have assimilated the correct pattern in response to the question:

¿Están Uds en __ o en __ ?

Estamos en __

3 persons have voted this message useful

Talairan
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6402 days ago

194 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*, Gypsy/Romani, Dutch
Studies: Spanish, Flemish, Galician, Aramaic

Message 16 of 17
25 November 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
I think that there are no correct answers for these types of drills; answering "Estamos en la escuela" or "Estamos en el hotel" would equally be correct. I have gone through my printed out copy of Platiquemos and written the correct option in brackets behind the question, so that I know which will be coming up on the audio/ as the model answer. So eg. ¿Están Uds. en la escuela o en el hotel? (la escuela).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version