XRomaXAntiguaX
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5663 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 44
28 September 2008 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
What would be an "easy" slavic language to learn? By easy I mean "not THAT complicated" noun declension, or are there any that don't have any noun declensions at all?

Edited by XRomaXAntiguaX on 28 September 2008 at 11:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5907 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 2 of 44
28 September 2008 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Bulgarian and Macedonian have no declensions AFAIK. On the other hand I've heard that their verbal aspect system is fairly complex.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 3 of 44
29 September 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Well, almost none. There are traces of the old declensional patterns when using some pronouns in Bulgarian and Macedonian.

Using verbs in those languages is a different story indeed.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6198 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 5 of 44
29 September 2008 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
Polandboy wrote:
I am Polish, and I know Polish grammar is very complicated...
it is considered one of the hardest languages to learn.
we have 7 cases, with diferent rules for male noun, female noun, etc...

Polish is tricky (5 noun genders, 3 of which are for various masculines, and aspect), but I'd say Russian is harder. Russian seems to use affixes more, and its stress-based vowel reduction combined with very mobile stress is something happily lacking in Polish.

I don't think there's such a thing as an 'easy' first Slavic language. The ones that (mainly) eliminate noun declension have their own complications.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6031 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 6 of 44
29 September 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
I have heard that Bulgarian and Macedonian do not have the complex declensions of other Slav languages but as has been noted above, they have other difficulties (I have only studied Russian and Polish so I don't know for certain about B and M).

I don't think there is an "easy" Slavic language, unless your L1 happens to be another Slavonic language, in which case you will have advantages.

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6377 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 7 of 44
29 September 2008 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
A better question might be which Slavic language to learn. If you learn Russian, you'll have an easier time finding
someone to practice speaking with. I haven't read any of Barry Farber's books but I heard that Russian was one of
his first languages and that helped him learn some other Slavic languages.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6198 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 8 of 44
30 September 2008 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
Probably the 'easiest' first Slavic language would be Russian: not because it's grammatically the most easy, or the easiest to pronounce, but because it's the largest. As skeeterses says, there are more people to practice with - and, beyond that, there are far more resources for learning Russian (and quite a lot more content in Russian, both original and translated) than you'll find for other Slavic languages. It's also relatively homogeneous, with relatively minor dialects, unlike BCS or Polish.

Finding Bulgarian audiobooks is like pulling teeth. I have no idea how many tens or hundreds of thousands of audiobooks Russian has, but it's a lot. Large bookstores outside of Russia generally don't have books in any Slavic language - but when they do, Russian is the most common by far, in my experience. Etc.

Similarly, I'm not familiar with any equivalent of the "Princeton Russian" course for other Slavic languages; people seem to find it quite good. There's also a Michel Thomas course for Russian (though it has some serious flaws, such as the instructor telling the students their pronunciation is correct when they stress the wrong syllable); to the best of my knowledge, this is the only Slavic language MT covers.

Finally, it's the most useful; it's more likely a random speaker of a Slavic language will be able to understand Russian (even if it's not their native language) than another specific Slavic language, though this is far from guaranteed.

That said, I prefer Polish.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 44 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version