England
Joined 6002 days ago

452 posts - 468 votes 
14 sounds
Speaks: Dutch, English, German, French
Studies: Polish

Message 1 of 80
04 October 2008 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
I found this video on YouTube -- his German & French are very good, as is his Spanish.

Warning: His microphone seems to be hypersensitive, every time he exhales there's a lot of noise... but if you are prepared to overlook that, it makes for interesting watching.

Edited by Fasulye on 16 May 2010 at 2:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6669 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 80
04 October 2008 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for posting that one. I also think his French, Spanish and German are very good. I don't know any of the other languages.

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5710 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian
Studies: Georgian, Japanese, Croatian, Greek

Message 3 of 80
08 October 2008 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
Quite good, but that audio quality...

Zorrillo
Pentaglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6144 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Sign Language, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Greek, Georgian, Indonesian

Message 4 of 80
08 October 2008 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
This guy is really exceptional. I hope he will do more videos, with better quality and a more in-depth display of his skills.

I noticed he is a member of this forum (Torbyrne), but he doesn't appear to visit often and has never posted a message. It's too bad that most of the superpolyglots on the forum seldom if ever post anything. I guess they're too busy studying!

Poliglotta80
Nonaglot
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5736 days ago

11 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Italian*, SpanishC2, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Russian
Studies: Mandarin, Romanian
Studies: Japanese

Message 5 of 80
12 October 2008 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
I am in contact with this guy and he is INCREDIBLE. I can tell you that his level of English (of course), French, Spanish and German is practically native. I would never allow myself to judge other people's accents on languages which are not mine, but I m saying this because I am advertising his video and talked to natives of these languages. They all agreed his accent is perfect. He has already done another video which will be on-line soon. I think he speaks (or he is on speaking terms) with more than 15-20 languages..I've never met a person this good at speaking many languages in such a great way. I personally think that the most important thing one has to aim at is communication, in the sense that it is more important to speak properly but have an accent, then being able to articulate a limited quantity of words in a perfect way-However being able to reproduce sounds in a native-like way is the most difficult and thus fascinating aspect of learning a foreign language. He couples quantity with quality, which is an amazing feature. I am looking forward to listening to his Dutch, Swedish and Italian. Way to go man!

Poliglotta80
Nonaglot
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5736 days ago

11 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Italian*, SpanishC2, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, GermanC2, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Russian
Studies: Mandarin, Romanian
Studies: Japanese

Message 6 of 80
18 October 2008 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
He erased the video the link above refers to (because of its poor audio-quality) and made another video some days ago whose name is still "hyperpolyglot". He speaks more than 17 languages in it. I finally listenened to his Swedish,Dutch,Italian and Portuguese. This guy is without a doubt the best polyglot EVER. It is true that he just says some phrases in every language, but it would take him more than 2 hours if he made a small speech in every tongue he knows! He speaks perfectly from a grammatical point of view, and his accent on Dutch and Swedish are unbelievable (his Dutch is almost native). His Portuguese and Italian are great, he would get native pretty fast if he lived in the countries where these languages are spoken. I already left a comment about the other main european languages he knows. I think he also knows some Thai,Mandarin and Arabic, but he's modest enough not to show himself speaking languages he doesn't master. Chapeau to a genius

bluecollar
Groupie
United States
Joined 5914 days ago

43 posts - 48 votes

Message 7 of 80
21 October 2008 at 8:08am | IP Logged 
I am impressed,however,the true test is when he can with native speakers comfortably.Speaking a few sentences of 17 languages is impressive but many of us here can do it.It would blow my mind if he makes 17 videos with him conversing with various native speakers of the 17 languages on various subjects.I do not question his honesty because he himself never claims he masters the languages.I hope he will show us more.

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5710 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian
Studies: Georgian, Japanese, Croatian, Greek

Message 8 of 80
21 October 2008 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Excellent video! This time the audio quality was crystal-clear, and the ambience a little less eerie. This guy is obviously a first class polyglot, I bow to his talent and hard work. It's refreshing, however, to hear him go "heeem" and slip in some mistakes from time to time. It would have been inhuman otherwise. Anybody knows how old is he?

In general, I agree with those who wrote that this sort of "speed-dating with languages" videos are not a real test for fluency. Speaking a language is also about differentiated expressions, rich vocabulary, register-switching, subtleties, etc. How you learned a language and why is a cool subject for a quick demonstration, but a very limited one. I wonder what form or medium would best accommodate that. Perhaps a series of videos about small text chunks like prof. Arguelles did. I don't know, like summarizing in real time with own words the page on the screen and improvising a commentary. Just wondering...

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version