SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 80
08 April 2009 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
He certainly could have fooled me. As for the filler words, they are (in my opinion) common for any speaker who's nervous and/or not used to being recorded.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 26 of 80
08 April 2009 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
When I first saw this video I was really impressed by his Swedish. Every time I hear foreigners speak Swedish the accent is HUGE, but this guy practically has no accent at all. I have *never* heard that good Swedish before from foreigners, even after they have lived in Sweden for 20 years.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 80
26 April 2009 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
portunhol wrote:
Here's a new video for those of you who are curious about his German. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agnAAflBymg

Yes, Torbyrne speaks fluent German with almost no English accent. I also find the information interesting he gives about the German language and his learning methods. He could spend some time living in Germany, so he was priviliged in his learning circumstances.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 31 August 2010 at 2:30pm

andee
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 6858 days ago

681 posts - 724 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, Korean, French

Message 28 of 80
27 April 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
I stumbled on these videos the other week. Very impressive, and likewise, I thought his accents very good to my ear.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 29 of 80
16 May 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
I thought that it was now time to edit my posts in this thread.

Torbyrne is one of my Skypies and so I am in the privileged position to converse with him regulary in German, English, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch.

He has lived in all these countries and you can hear this when you speak with him.

Not long ago I was really amazed to listen to him speaking Danish and it was a pity that I couldn't reply very much with my present beginner's level of Danish.

He is always very busy studying languages regularly and one of his recent projects is that he is learning Esperanto. It's my pleasure to give him the opportunity to practise his Esperanto with me.

He speaks as well some other languages, which I don't speak.

What's very typical about our Skype-sessions (often together with Amir and other aquaintences of them) that in a conversation Torbyrne changes languages from one second to the other.

It's a fun game for people like Amir and me to converse with him by making sudden language changes during the conversation - we don't get confused!

Concerning You Tube his idea and motivation is to inspire other people to learn foreign languages. He told me that it's not so important for him to show his own languages. He rather prefers using them privately and for his work whenever and wherever he can.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 16 May 2010 at 3:47pm

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5366 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 30 of 80
21 May 2010 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
His German is very good indeed, and he plays a great motivating factor for me because I plan to study in Germany as well :)

For the languages that he knows and that I have studied, he is very good!

Watching that video brings back the childhood "I can't wait until I'm grown-up." so I can speak 12 languages :D

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6097 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 31 of 80
22 May 2010 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye, do you know if he plans to ever make some more videos? He's probably one of the most interesting polyglots on YouTube, certainly a great inspiration to all polyglot aspirants!

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5628 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 80
22 May 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
Fasulye, do you know if he plans to ever make some more videos? He's probably one of the most interesting polyglots on YouTube, certainly a great inspiration to all polyglot aspirants!

Yes, I spoke about this with Torbyrne. He will make more videos, but he has no intention to present his languages in his videos, like for example Luca does:

One video in Spanish, one video in German, one video in Dutch, one video in Swedish...

Torbyrne will definitely not do that.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 22 May 2010 at 3:23pm

This discussion contains 80 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version