Language Learning Forum : Lessons in Polyglottery Post Reply
Kugel
United States
Joined 6318 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 4
04 October 2008 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Being an undisciplined orator of Latin, I worry sometimes that I'm missing out on a great deal of the material's impact. I know that if I try to put energy into the reading, I'll sound campy, hamming up the material, but I don't want to sound dull either. I have a recording "Selections in Ovid" by Dr. R. Sonkowsky, so I try to shadow him to capture the right prosody. So far I've broken down the material into 5 line chunks to better internalize them, as opposed to just listening to 100 lines at a time. I hope to take a Latin course next year, time permitting, so hopefully by then I'll have internalized large pieces of Latin literature and improved on its grammar.

Some questions:

How well versed are Latin and Greek students, at a typical university, in reciting lines from well known great books in the classical era? What are their limits? What are the professors' limits?

Besides the recordings from Dr. Sonkowsky and Dr. Daitz, are there well known audio books covering the great books from the Loeb texts? All they did was photocopy the Loeb texts and make cassette tapes out of them; this is the best there is in the North American market. After checking English based websites I found the only option was Metamorphoses for $300 for digital quality; and I don't even know if it covers all 15 books. Do you know of good audio books for the great books of the classical era?

Does Europe do a better job in in audio books regarding the classical era?

J. Barts

Edited by Kugel on 04 October 2008 at 11:49pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5666 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Czech, French, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Portuguese

Message 2 of 4
03 January 2009 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Well, here in Poland at a typical university we do have special classes in metrical poetry like Homer or Virgil and one has to pass a form of exam both in reading and marking metrics. But I think that in Classics almost everything depends on how one is interested in the subject. You can read only what they require from you, learn only what you have to learn and practice only for exams. Still if you want you can read a lot in both languages, learn a book of Iliad by heart and master 4 modern languages to read books on classical subjects in them.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Rollo the Cat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5814 days ago

77 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Russian, Ancient Greek

Message 3 of 4
03 January 2009 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
I am hoping Stefan Hagel will record the Iliad. His use of the tones is exceptionally well done, historically accurate
or not.

http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/sh/index.htm

Also, Stanley Lombard has done a recording of the first book of the Iliad.

Rollo Terson

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5928 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 4 of 4
04 January 2009 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Rollo the Cat wrote:
I am hoping Stefan Hagel will record the Iliad. His use of the tones is exceptionally well done, historically accurate
or not.

http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/sh/index.htm

Also, Stanley Lombard has done a recording of the first book of the Iliad.

Rollo Terson

Stefan Hagel is one of the speakers on the Assimil Le Grec Ancien sans peine course as well.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version