Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 4
05 October 2008 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
How do members of this forum find specific out-of-print books?

I know about abebooks.com and searching google, but when both of these turn up blanks, where do you turn?

Specifically, I'm trying to find an Italian math book from several decades ago; I am not 100% certain about the title. I've been working on this for months. Unfortunately, the only vendor who seems to possibly have a copy (as part of a larger series) is terrible about replying to emails; he answered one, but I haven't heard back from him since March, and it's now October.

More generally, is there any way to get old lists of books published in Italy during the mid-20th century? Is some other type of search more useful, or are there particular people I should ask?

1 person has voted this message useful

FrancescoP
Octoglot
Italy
Joined 5744 days ago

169 posts - 258 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, French, English, German, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Norwegian
Studies: Georgian, Japanese, Croatian, Greek

Message 2 of 4
05 October 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
The best source for Italian out-of-print books is www.maremagnum.com. On a european level (you never know where a copy might pop up) the best metasearch is www.eurobuch.com
I don't know about "lists" of Italian books, but you might squeeze interesting info from our national index (opac.sbn.it) by working a little on search parameters.
Good luck to all fellow bibliophiles out there

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 3 of 4
05 October 2008 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
I've used bookfinder.com to find many out-of-print books. It pulls in results from most of the major used book retailers.

I've also had success in finding some stuff on the various eBays, but that's often hit and miss. Due to the relatively short length of time auctions last on eBay, you have to either 1) search frequently or 2) set up an RSS feed to alert you when an item with certain keywords is added.

I've also found some things simply by googling the title plus words like "buy", "purchase" etc. However, that could be problematic if you don't know the title of the work. Do you have any idea at all what the title might be?

Edited by josht on 05 October 2008 at 9:51am

awake
United States
Joined 6430 days ago

406 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 4 of 4
05 October 2008 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
You might also try a library. Very often they can get books through an inter-library loan program. Or maybe a
librarian can help you track down the title or other information about the book or author that will help you narrow
your search.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version