New Zealand
Joined 6101 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 17 of 28
13 October 2008 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
dutos wrote:
Fluency - You sound very forgiving of accents. When Arnold Schwartzenegger arrived in America, he spoke broken English with a strong accent. I would not call that fluent. However, the English that he speaks today (even with a light accent), I would say that this is definitely fluent.

Well speaking broken English and having an accent is quite a different thing to speaking correctly and having an accent (as in the case of Volte's example of Conrad).
1 person has voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6057 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 18 of 28
13 October 2008 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
One-to-one language tuition, or in a small group, may be effective. I doubt whether anyone learned French 40 to a classroom jammed elbow-to-elbow with the apathetic and stupid.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5819 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 19 of 28
14 October 2008 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
For me language classes work but serve mainly psychological and organisational purposes. I get angry if s.b. in the class is better than me so I work harder to beat him (her). Besides it gives me a good regular pace.

Otherwise I barely pay any attention to the teacher and generally act in a rather asocial way. Not that I try to sabotage... I'm just not easy to communicate with when not in a social mood (which happens often).

Most teachers find this extremely annoying. However I invariably end up doing well at the exams, resulting in genuine surprise and sometimes further annoyance on their part.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6444 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 20 of 28
15 October 2008 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Not all language classes are created equally, but I find that having a class gives me some structure and makes it more difficult for me to procrastinate. If I pay for a class and materials and I have to be in a certain place at a certain time, I am more likely to stick to what I'm doing. It's just a matter of my particular temperament. Your results may well vary.

I'm the sort of language student who enjoys doing some outside reading and practicing, and so I agree that doing things outside a class are essential.

aliebe
Diglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 5620 days ago

59 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 28
04 December 2008 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
I always found my motivation was poor with a class. I would do the homeworks, learn for the exam. Perhaps because I am a good student (in the 'i get good grades' sense---which is a big big qualifier) I found I would only have to spend a couple of hours outside of classt to fullfill the obligations to the class, ut then had a hard time going beyond that in order to really learn and internalize. That means over the course of the year at Uni level I would get 125 (5 credit course, three quarters, 50 min period) hours of class instruction and an additional 50-70 or so outside of class. but then writing replacement drills with a movie on in the background hardly constitutes quality study time. Not sure if others have had a similar experience in class? I am trying for the first time to learn on my own (not in a class, and not by living in the language in question), and doing little drills and exercises so far feels less forced and more with learning, not completion as a goal.

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5708 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 22 of 28
08 December 2008 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
I think it depends how well you can adapt yourself to formal learning/education. Most of the things we know and can do well in our lives are things we've learnt informally. This is why so many people struggle in a formal, pressurised, 'academic' learning environment and prefer to study on their own in an informal way. It's not that they are bad learners, most people just don't learn under these circumstances.

Lindsay19
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5606 days ago

183 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC1
Studies: Swedish, Faroese, Icelandic

Message 23 of 28
18 December 2008 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I kind of agree on some of his points (especially about other students holding the rest back; that's how it was in my High School German class), but what I like about classes is the structure. On my own I often am at a lack of what to exactly do.

Luai_lashire
Diglot
United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5613 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 24 of 28
19 December 2008 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
It really depends on a LOT of factors.
I'm lucky- I'm in a small class (14 people) with students who all genuinely love the language, we have a good
textbook and a fantastic teacher, and plenty of opportunities in class to practice in actual conversations.
I think people often underestimate the need for a good teacher AND a good textbook. If you have one without the
other it's just not that helpful, but if you have both your learning will go much faster. A teacher can be an
invaluable resource for explanations of things you can't make sense of on your own- but they have to be willing to
explain. Mine is, and she's very good at it too, which means a lot of the time we learn very useful things from her
we wouldn't have from the textbook, no matter how good it is.
Personally I think it all comes down to learning styles, but for many people a GOOD class + a bit of independent
study provides a good basic understanding, and then going to the country and surrounding themselves with the
language can help them polish it up. But if you go to the country without a good enough understanding of the
language already, it's not going to be nearly as easy to pick up.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version