cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5626 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 9 of 20
02 June 2009 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
In my experience everyone in the civilised world can probably recognise English even if they can't speak it. The unique sounds give it away, plus some familiar words like "Okay" and random words which people might know.

I remember being a child and hearing English without understanding it.

What stood out are the many sounds that we didn't have in my own language and that are a bit charactaristic of English.

- The hard pronounciation of "J" (like a "D" is added in front of it.)
- The characteristic pronounciation of "O"
- The "ch" sound"
- The "R" which is neither rolling nor guttural.
- The "TH" sound.
- Pronounciation of "A" as "ey"

At the top of my head I can't think of any other European language or an Asian language that I recognise that has more than one of these "strange" sounds.

Combined toghether they definitely identify English even if you don't know it.

Edited by cordelia0507 on 02 June 2009 at 12:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 20
02 June 2009 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Although I'm not sure which "o" sound you mean (nor the IPA of it), I think I have heard most of the sounds in Swedish dialects - some Finland-Swedish varieties have /dj/ and /ch/(tj) (DJur, TJärlek), "diphtong" /o/ and /ey/ are present in my Gotlandic accent, the /r/ is slightly retroflexed before (at least) n, l, s, t, d...

OK, I agree that TH (either voiced or unvoiced) isn't present in Swedish.

Achmann
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5444 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*, German

Message 11 of 20
03 June 2009 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
This what I got told. To a person who does not speak a word of English we apperntly sound like we are hissing a lot. If you notice C and S crop up a hell of lot in out language same as SH which can be hissing sounds too. This come however from a New Zealand Maori who lernt Maori as his first tongue. I can't speak from a European perspective. Also he did say the "th" and the lack of sharp sounds in our language. (I think from memory maori has a lot of "angry" sounding sylables).

It makeS SenSe the S Sound though being prodimient. JuSt look at a paragraph of English. It iS not even thought of really.

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5611 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 12 of 20
03 June 2009 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Well, as a kid I really didn't recognize the 'th' sound until I was older (around 13). It was all "t" and "d" for me. I would say "What do you tink is dat over dere?". Then I heard about it and started to look around for it until I noticed it.

Now I can distinguish it, though not perfectly.

I still can't tell the difference between voiced and unvoiced "th" except on pretty thick accents, in which one is close to "v" and the other to "f" (or am I wrong?)

Edited by Satoshi on 03 June 2009 at 3:51am

GuardianJY
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5473 days ago

74 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Swedish, French

Message 13 of 20
03 June 2009 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
I agree with English being a "hissing" language. I really never looked at it that way. Would that make German a series of hacks due to all the "k" and hard "ch" sounds? French...maybe a series of (j) sounds and (wau) sounds?

Britomartis
Groupie
United States
Joined 5597 days ago

67 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 14 of 20
05 June 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged 
Well, I am a native English speaker, and I often wonder what I would think of English if my brain didn't immediately make sense of it. Oddly enough, I can manage to do that for brief moments, and I was surprised. English can be a very melodic language. Though technically not a tonal language, certain syllables in words tend to have a higher or lower pitch. This reminds me of a scene from the old movie, "My Fair Lady," in which a professor attempts to teach a young woman to speak proper English. The professor uses a xylophone to demonstrate how the pitch changes in the phrase "How kind of you to let me come."
It was this aspect that struck me the most. I don't know how big a role this plays in other languages, but it certainly is important in English.

English definitely sounds like a Germanic language to me.

Achmann
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5444 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*, German

Message 15 of 20
05 June 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Britomartis wrote:
Though technically not a tonal language, certain syllables in words tend to have a higher or lower pitch. This reminds me of a scene from the old movie, "My Fair Lady," in which a professor attempts to teach a young woman to speak proper English. The professor uses a xylophone to demonstrate how the pitch changes in the phrase "How kind of you to let me come."
It was this aspect that struck me the most. I don't know how big a role this plays in other languages, but it certainly is important in English.

English definitely sounds like a Germanic language to me.

I remember something like that being said once aswell. We put stress on the words to indicate more importants to that word in the statement then others. I don't know if this is true only of English. Wikipedia has something on it. It makes sense to me. Does it happen German or Spanish or something. The stressing of a word?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6697 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 20
05 June 2009 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Satoshi wrote:
Well, as a kid I really didn't recognize the 'th' sound until I was older (around 13). It was all "t" and "d" for me. I would say "What do you tink is dat over dere?". Then I heard about it and started to look around for it until I noticed it.

Now I can distinguish it, though not perfectly.

I still can't tell the difference between voiced and unvoiced "th" except on pretty thick accents, in which one is close to "v" and the other to "f" (or am I wrong?)

I think it's quite common for people to have problems with those sounds, and that some learners think of them as v and f respectively, despite that they are in fact pronounced totally different (basically: tongue between the teeth for both th:s, as opposed to the upper teeth biting the lower lip for f/v) - except for certain non-standard accents.

Listen a lot, read about phonetics, have a look at IPA, listen again, watch native speakers, practice...

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version