United States
Joined 5442 days ago

9 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 17 of 20
05 June 2009 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
Satoshi wrote:
I still can't tell the difference between voiced and unvoiced "th" except on pretty thick accents, in which one is close to "v" and the other to "f" (or am I wrong?)

Yes, voiced "th" is similar to "v", because they are both voiced fricatives, and unvoiced "th" is similar to "f", because they are both unvoiced fricatives. However, the place of production is different for "th". (Phonemes can be categorized according to three parameters: manner of production, voicing, and place of production.) The sounds "f" and "v" are both produced between the upper teeth and lower lip, whereas the "th" sounds are produced between the upper teeth and the tongue.

Interestingly, English-speaking children tend to develop "th" and "r" late. (Foreign speakers of English are not the only ones who have difficulty with these sounds!) With some practice, you should be able to recognize and produce them. There is a very nice demonstration of various phonemes here: http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/

Edited by dancinghobbit on 05 June 2009 at 6:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

MäcØSŸ
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5595 days ago

259 posts - 392 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC2
Studies: German

Message 18 of 20
05 June 2009 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
Speaking of American English, the most characteristic features are the O sound in "stop," the A sound in "man" and
the velarized L (like in "feel").
For British English, the O sound in "loan" and non-rhoticism.
For both the intonation and the syllabic N.
1 person has voted this message useful

吕明扬
United States
Joined 5842 days ago

30 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 19 of 20
07 June 2009 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't feel too bad about the "th" sound, I had trouble with that sound so much when I was a kid. "Tat funder was loud" sort of thing. I didn't get the hang of that consonant till I was about 9-10 years old. I'm a native English speaker btw.

lecorbeau
Diglot
Croatia
Joined 5806 days ago

113 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Serbo-Croatian, Turkish

Message 20 of 20
08 June 2009 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Wow, this has been a curiosity of mine ever since I was in elementary school. I am so glad this was posted, and my appetite for an incomprehensible English has been sated.

Thanks for the Youtube links!

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version