DancerX
United States
Joined 6158 days ago

12 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Vietnamese, French

Message 1 of 8
11 October 2008 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
I've just finished the passive phase of Assimil Vietnamese and I'm eyeing FSI Vietnamese to do next, as I finish the active phase of Assimil.

But counting the words in the gloasary in the back, I only count rough 450 words in both FSI Vietnamese I and FSI Vietnamese II. As far as I can tell I & II are all that are available. It is my understanding that completing the FSI materials in a language should get you to FSI level 3, but somehow I doubt 900 words will get you there, even in a language with a simple grammar like Vietnamese. I believe FSI gets you to several thousand words in other languages. Anybody have any idea why they would have only 900 words in the FSI program? Anybody done FSI Vietnamese and been able to communicate at FSI level 3?

I'm guessing I'm going to have to improve my vocabulary after finishing FSI Vietnamese before I can engage in useful conversations. If I'm lucky, FSI will have all the grammar needed to communicate at level 3, but will just need more vocabulary. So I'm thinking Vocabulearn I & II after, since that will get you about 3000 words, along with some reading. Assimil only has 63 lessons and 1200 words in the glossary. However, I would say a large chunk of those words (maybe up to half) are not in the dialogue but in the notes. Anyone have any other suggestions?

L-R would be great, but there just doesn't seem to be much material available in Vietnamese.

Cheers,
Don

1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 8
11 October 2008 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
DancerX wrote:
I've just finished the passive phase of Assimil Vietnamese and I'm eyeing FSI Vietnamese to do next, as I finish the active phase of Assimil.

But counting the words in the gloasary in the back, I only count rough 450 words in both FSI Vietnamese I and FSI Vietnamese II. As far as I can tell I & II are all that are available. It is my understanding that completing the FSI materials in a language should get you to FSI level 3, but somehow I doubt 900 words will get you there, even in a language with a simple grammar like Vietnamese. I believe FSI gets you to several thousand words in other languages. Anybody have any idea why they would have only 900 words in the FSI program? Anybody done FSI Vietnamese and been able to communicate at FSI level 3?

I'm guessing I'm going to have to improve my vocabulary after finishing FSI Vietnamese before I can engage in useful conversations. If I'm lucky, FSI will have all the grammar needed to communicate at level 3, but will just need more vocabulary. So I'm thinking Vocabulearn I & II after, since that will get you about 3000 words, along with some reading. Assimil only has 63 lessons and 1200 words in the glossary. However, I would say a large chunk of those words (maybe up to half) are not in the dialogue but in the notes. Anyone have any other suggestions?

L-R would be great, but there just doesn't seem to be much material available in Vietnamese.

Cheers,
Don

900 words isn't enough for any kind of fluency or "level 3" proficiency in FSI's scale. FSI courses vary quite a bit in how much they teach, as has been discussed before on this forum.

I'm unaware of pre-made L-R material for Vietnamese, but there seems to be a fair amount of source material available if you dig. The "GiangMJ - Audio blog" is quite useful for terminology (it has titles of Vietnamese motivational books translated from English). Searching for titles leads to online stores like vinabook, as well as picking up useful terms like "Tên sách" (title) and "Tác giả" (author).

Good luck!

mekalika
Diglot
United States
sarahnguyen.com/
Joined 6879 days ago

30 posts - 33 votes
Studies: Vietnamese, English*, German

Message 3 of 8
25 June 2010 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Hi, did you ever end up using FSI Vietnamese?

Gateway
Australia
Joined 5257 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes

Message 4 of 8
20 November 2010 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Hi Dancer

I am studying Vietnamese now, using the TY and Pimsluer courses.

The TY is hard going and it takes me 10hrs to really learn and absorb a chapter.

I tried getting an ASSIMIL for Vietnamese but was told they don't make them (by a Sydney bookshop)...yet you have one. Where did you get it?

Gateway

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 8
21 November 2010 at 3:58am | IP Logged 
You should be able to order it directly from Assimil.

Gateway
Australia
Joined 5257 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes

Message 6 of 8
22 November 2010 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
newyorkeric....so do Assimil make an English/Viet course?
Gateway

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6189 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 8
22 November 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
They only make a French one unfortunately.

Gateway
Australia
Joined 5257 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes

Message 8 of 8
22 November 2010 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
who could be bothered learning French?

When there are such interesting languages in countries right in our region..

Gateway

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version