Joined 5868 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 17 of 21
15 October 2008 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Not old enough to go to College or University.

TEL
1 person has voted this message useful

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5782 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 18 of 21
15 October 2008 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
There were a few people in my highschool who did first year university subjects in grade 11/12, in fact I remember in my first year of Italian, we had some students from the highschool close to us study with us.

Is there something similar available to UK students?

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5868 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 19 of 21
15 October 2008 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Nope, you must get your GCSE's to go to College, where you do your A-levels, which you need to go to University. Secondary/High Schools cannot offer A-level education, but colleges will only accept those with GCSEs.

TEL

NuclearGorilla
Diglot
United States
Joined 6574 days ago

166 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 20 of 21
15 October 2008 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
I'm going to second the recommendation of Crystal's Encyclopedia of Language. It is really a very interesting and accessible broad view of an impressive range of topics in linguistics. You can probably pick it up fairly cheap used, besides.

For something a bit more "formal", my university used O'Grady's Contemporary Linguistics in its intro course. I can't really say anything about it, since I didn't really read it. (I knew everything they were teaching in that course, and I for whatever reason never read from it out of self-interest, either.)

In the field of historical linguistics, there are quite a few good introductions. Most of them seem to be titled Historical Linguistics (I think I have about 5 or so by this title); I would say I'm more fond of Trask's and Bynon's.

I find that I enjoy historical linguistics a lot more than the theoretical. If you have a particular interest as to a specific field, perhaps you could get more guided help.

John Smith
Bilingual Triglot
Australia
Joined 5830 days ago

396 posts - 542 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 21 of 21
16 October 2008 at 1:57am | IP Logged 

If you are interested in linguistics the university library or bookstore is a great place to start. You don't need to go to university to have access to the university library or bookstore so it doesn't matter how old you are. Start off with an introductory textbook and then look up books that cover topics you find interesting.
Analyzing grammar might be a bit hard to do by yourself but topics like language acquisition, language attrition and historical linguistics should be pretty straightforward. Good luck!

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version