FutureDoc
United Kingdom
futuredoc.blogspot.c
Joined 5694 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 3
16 October 2008 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
I've been given Pimsleur as a gift for my birthday and I've got the Michel Thomas discs lying round somewhere for learning Spanish.

Now both programmes have great benefits, I'm just not sure which order to use them or even combine them. Should I get pronunciation done first, or learn the grammar and stuff etc with MT?

Cheers

future doc

Edited by FutureDoc on 16 October 2008 at 4:16pm

1 person has voted this message useful

gsc
United Kingdom
Joined 5688 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 3
22 October 2008 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Hi

I'm only a newbie so must stress this is only my opinion.

I have been through the Pimsleur and MT for Egyptian Arabic and partly through for Spanish. I only did the Spanish while I was in Mexico and now I'm about to redo the Egyptian Atabic.

Here's what I found.

The Pimsleur can be a little intimidating as they speak at normal speed and there is very little in the way of grammar explanation which I found very frustrating. The conversation at the start of each lesson depresses me when I have to pause it then realise I know it but it's just too fast for me.

The Michel Thomas can be painfully slow at times, often irritating with overemphasis on memory hooks and the further I got into it, the more I felt I didn't want to hear people who were learning making their mistakes and mis-pronouncing. The Arabic was not too great on this score, an English teacher, 2 learners and 1 native speaker so only 25% of the Arabic is from a native speaker. However the pace is slower and the grammar is explained very well and it gives you more confidence..

I found it very easy to do them alongside one another. It seemed instinctive to decide when it was time to switch from one to the other and the minor differences in words used weren't really a problem in either Spanish or Arabic.

Now I'm going through a second time, I know I should do both again but there is so much waffle on the MT course to pick out what I need I feel like I am wasting precious time and could learn more with the Pimsleur.

That said, if I had to choose one first then the other I would do MT first. The Spanish tutor is a native speaker and I find him less irritating than Jane Whittick on the Arabic MT so it's fairly easy listening and will set you up well for doing the Pimsleur.

I hope this helps but no doubt some of the more experienced will advise you better.

Good luck.

FutureDoc
United Kingdom
futuredoc.blogspot.c
Joined 5694 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Studies: English*, Spanish

Message 3 of 3
27 October 2008 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Thanks

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version