norsklære
United States
myspace.com/shootfor
Joined 5719 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 1 of 16
17 October 2008 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Have any of you, ever in the middle of learning a particular language, ever changed your mind and decide to learn a different language and place the one you're learning on hold or abandon it altogether?
1 person has voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5715 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 2 of 16
18 October 2008 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
ah! too often ^^ the result is basic passive knowledge of a dozen or so languages... Which is nice in some way, but mostly just proof of my indecisiveness I guess. I can read Japanese kana but can't speak anything beyond konichiwa because of it, and know more slang (being one of the first things I tend to learn in any language) than regular "standard" speech if I add everything up...

Personally I wish I wasn't so indecisive, cause some of my languages would be near fluent by now if I had spent that time studying those instead of shopping around and return things hoping for a money back garranty (which is there in case of languages).

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5726 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 16
18 October 2008 at 3:09am | IP Logged 
I gave up on Latin a long time ago and decided go for Spanish instead. All I knew was that I wanted to study another Romance language, and learning French to fluency made me realize how great it is to be able to speak a living, breathing language. So Spanish it was.

Olympia
Triglot
United States
Joined 5792 days ago

195 posts - 244 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Old English, French

Message 4 of 16
18 October 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
Yes, I started Portuguese a little over a year ago and I found that I was mixing it into my Spanish, which was
frustrating, so I decided to stop--at least for the time being.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5845 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 5 of 16
18 October 2008 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
norsklære wrote:
Have any of you, ever in the middle of learning a particular language, ever changed your mind and decide to learn a different language and place the one you're learning on hold or abandon it altogether?

In my view, this a treachery of your own goals. Be cautious when choosing what to study next and take your sweet time making a choice. However, once you commit yourself to a particular thing, stick with it no matter what.

This is a general principle that's valid not only for language learning but for any sort of long-term endeavour.

Edited by Sennin on 18 October 2008 at 11:38am

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5715 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 

Message 6 of 16
18 October 2008 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
or well... if you just do it for fun learning languages shopping around or not, whatever pleases you ^^ as long as it is fun

norsklære
United States
myspace.com/shootfor
Joined 5719 days ago

8 posts - 8 votes
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 7 of 16
18 October 2008 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I have been thinking that if I abandon Norwegian now, all I will have is passive knowledge. I can speak and put together some sentences, but it takes some effort.

The language I am wanting to learn after Norwegian is German (I wanted to learn German next anyway, but in the last couple days I got that 'jolt' to start studying that and forget about Norwegian for the time being)

I know that will be more detrimental than beneficial for my proficiency in both languages in the long run.

One of my short term motivations to keep at it is so I can understand the podcasts I downloaded of "Pepper og Pasjon" from the NRK.no website. Very interesting show.

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5715 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 

Message 8 of 16
19 October 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Well, motivation is a large part of language learning, without it you might as well learn to play the piano with the kind of disfunctional muzical hearing I have... ^^

you could just maintain your passive knowledge by doing a little immersion once a week while you are actively studying German... when you start Norwegian again you'd be suprised how fast you pick up some things again.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version