Groupie
Canada
Joined 5702 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchC1, German, Spanish

Message 1 of 5
22 October 2008 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
This is my first post here so I'll give you a bit of background info:

I'm a canadian exchange student in the french-speaking part of Switzerland. My french has gotten a LOT better than it once was over the 2.5 months I've been here and I feel very confident in speaking and writing. I would say I now have a basic fluency in french.

I'm taking Spanish as my option in the "Gymnase" (high school) here and I really love the sound of the language as well as the Spanish and Latin American cultures. I really want to achieve a basic fluency in Spanish and I know that just going to school won't cut it. I've therefore recently begun Pimsleur and have ordered Assimil Spanish With Ease.

My real question is whether or not it would be doable to begin studying German as well. I also really like the sound of the language and I think it would be beneficial if I follow through with my plan to go into international business. Also, my host family is originally from the German speaking part of Switzerland, and therefore speak both the Swiss dialect of German and High German (Hochdeutsch). This way, I could have native speakers to help me along the way.

Also, what programs would you recommend to a beginning German student?

Thank you in advance for all your help.
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6266 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 2 of 5
22 October 2008 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
While it depends on the amount of time you have available each day, certainly, it's possible to work on two new languages at once. While I wouldn't recommend starting, say, Norwegian and Swedish, or German and Dutch, at the same time, Spanish and German are far enough apart to not cause any overlap problems. Also, considering your host family can speak German, I think it would be foolish to not take advantage of the fact. I know if I lived with a host family who spoke a foreign language, I'd probably try to learn the language even if I had no previous interest in it. :)

Regarding programs, the Assimil German with Ease course is good; it's not as excellent as the New French with Ease course, but still quite usable. Deutsche Welle also has courses for beginners, available for free, if you'd like to dip your toes in the pool before committing yourself to a long swim. The beginner course is here.

If you decide to learn the language, there's a host of other materials I'd recommend. 1001 Pitfalls in German is a good, quick read; for a much more substantial approach to grammar, you could get Hammer's German Grammar (4th edition is the latest, I believe), along with Practicing German Grammar, the book's companion. 750 German Verbs is also excellent, and I find it a lot more helpful than 501 German Verbs.

arbigelow
Tetraglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5702 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 

Message 3 of 5
22 October 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for your help. I'll take a look at the programs you recommended.

arbigelow
Tetraglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5702 days ago

89 posts - 95 votes 

Message 4 of 5
22 October 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
By the way, do you think it would matter which edition of Hammer's German Grammar I got? The 2nd edition is half the price of the fourth on Amazon.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5814 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 5 of 5
22 October 2008 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
You're right about the fact that German is still important for IB. Atleast it is here in France, and I imagine all of Europe as well. During my job search for the last month, I have seen more and more trilingual jobs than not, English/French/German being equal with English/French/Spanish even. If you have the four, then you are ready to rock and roll.

JoshT is right, and he has covered most of the resources I can think of that you can obtain legally. Take as much as you can for the moment, no time like the present to start. You still have what, four years until you graduate from uni, and if you keep your French up to scratch and divide those four years to the other two languages I think that it is do-able.

As for the edition, go the cheaper one, I have no idea of the differences, but most things don't change substantially over a couple of editions.

Thom.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version