United Kingdom
Joined 5688 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 7
22 October 2008 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
I'm finding this really frustrating.

The constant repetition of certain words in similar phrases seems to act like a memory hook.

For example I find myself replying to a question on Pimsleur without being aware of what the words mean. Sure I can stop a moment and recall it, but I answer 'can you understand Arabic' correctly then find I'm not sure whether we're talking about the verb to understand or the verb to speak. This is largely because I leaned them at the same time. The same with eat and drink. I can respond to a question asked in Arabic but if asked 'how do you say' I have to stop and think and will often say something like 'I would like to eat some coffee'.

It's really winding me up. Last time we were in Egypt I was so slow getting the words out the waiters usually finished the sentence for me.

I don't know whether to go with the flow or to stop and analyse before I speak.

It could be one of two things, my age, 56, or the fact that I have ME which does often cause brain fog and mental fatigue, but to be honest, I think it's just me. I'm an autopilot type of person. You know that feeling when you've driven home from the shops but weren't really aware of doing it? Or you open the microwave instead of the fridge and you can't remember that it's the milk you're looking for?

Any suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

rlf1810
Triglot
United States
Joined 6151 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 2 of 7
23 October 2008 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I think this 'autopilot' mode is something we all experience at least once in a while. In fact, it's happened to me also when studying a language. My observations tell me a few things. Perhaps motivation plays a part. Are you very motivated to be studying at that time, or are you just doing it because you 'have to'? Also, when do you study? Are you relaxed, are you tired? Obviously, studying a language requires alot of concentration. I think finding the right time to study is an important step in avoiding this phenomenon. I hope this can help you in some way. Good luck.

-Robert

alfajuj
Diglot
Taiwan
Joined 6022 days ago

121 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Taiwanese, French

Message 3 of 7
23 October 2008 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
I think the ME (chronic fatigue syndrome) is definitely a factor. I would recommend a full range of nutritional supplements, especially omega 3.
It's hard to talk when you're tired, even in your native language.

Also, have you tried the FSI Arabic course? http://fsi-language-courses.com/Arabic.aspx
It might help to use a different method.

Hencke
Tetraglot
Spain
Joined 6705 days ago

2340 posts - 2444 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Finnish, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 7
23 October 2008 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
This happens to me also. I am just a few years younger than you and even without ME I too get my share of brain fog and mental fatigue. Just like yourself, my autopilot also takes over in lots of situations.

I can't say I know of a solution for this, but there are a few good points made by both posters who answered above.

You bring up an interesting point about mixing between two words (understand and speak) because you learned them at the same time. I have sometimes seen language courses criticised for introducing the words for "mother" and "father" fifteen lessons apart, or the words for "left" and "right" at totally different stages of the program. Maybe they have a point with this (?)

There is one thing I think should always be tried though, when you are up against some kind of roadblock or prolonged plateau phenomenon in your learning process. The keyword is VARIATION. Try something different: Drilling with different material, different times of day, switch to an easier level, or to a more advanced one, switch the emphasis from listening and speaking to reading, or the other way around, get out and try to find native speakers to practice with, take a break for a week or two, or just ignore the problems and plow on to the next lesson and then come back and try it again after a while.

Edited by Hencke on 23 October 2008 at 6:45am

gsc
United Kingdom
Joined 5688 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 5 of 7
23 October 2008 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Thanks all - It's good to know I'm not alone in this.

Robert, I am well motivated - that could even be part of the problem - maybe trying too doing too much at once although they say the quickest way to learn is by full immersion? I know Michel Thomas actively discourage you from making an effort and 'concentrating' but to be honest I hate that philosophy. I'm sure it works for many but I like to see things written and double check my understanding of grammar etc. I think it's a right brain versus left brain thing. My dancing instructor said he's never know any one ask so many questions. Everyone else dances with their feet but I have to dance with my head first <grin>

I would love to see both Pimsleur and MT on DVD with a text option.

But I digress.

Alfajuj - thanks for the heads up on the supplements - I'm quite nerdy about this sort of thing but it never hurts to have a reminder. I sort of hope keeping my brain and body active and healthy will help. I certainly found the little bit of Spanish I started came a lot easier for having done the Arabic although, much as I would love to do more Spanish, I think the Arabic has to take priority unless I holiday in a Spanish speaking country.

Hencke, You make some good points. Looking back I would have preferred to learn one set of words, right, eat, understand, etc. and get them well imprinted, before learning left, drink, know, and so on. I feel as it is I am remember the words in context, which is good, but unfortunately also remembering/confusing similar words in the same context which is not so good.

You mention variation and funnily enough I was lying awake at 3 am (jet lag after a holiday to Mexico) thinking how I would approach things. Unless anyone here has any better suggestions, this is what I'm going to do, minimum 1 hour a day over the next 12 weeks:

Michel Thomas - leave for the moment because I understand the grammar even if I can't find the words as quick as I would like. Maybe later just redo the advanced CDs

Pimsleur - Go through the beginning and end of all 30 lessons for the conversations and only do the middle part if I feel I can't pick it up. I think I might repeat this until I don't need the pause button.

Writing - make more effort to thoroughly master the script. My aim is to be able to read it efficiently and to type it. My handwriting is dreadful so I don't think I'm going to attempt to learn handwriting.

Start the 3 fat text books I have which are more structured but also have pronunciation CDs.

I'd like to start something with flashcards to improve my vocab but I have yet to find anything that is designed for Egyptian Arabic.

Guys, feel free to let me know if you think I'm approaching anything the wrong way. All advice is very welcome and thanks again.

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5891 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 7
23 October 2008 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
I think that when I am trying to repeat something, I go into autopilot, and I am a kid!

Although, this can be good!!

When someone else is making you do it, you go into autopilot, and your brain half shuts down to learning, and you repeat without absorbing - it stays in your short term memory.

But, if you are doing it yourself and you have motivation enough to repeat, it is a good thing. It means that you have got used to the word/phrase, and your brain no longer has to think about it, and it is then ready to turn into a long-term memory. Just by re-turning your concentration to it, I find, and repeat a little more, you can commit it. And then reviewing whenever you can (I walk around the corridors at school running through dialogues and stories I have memorized)

TEL

gsc
United Kingdom
Joined 5688 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes

Message 7 of 7
23 October 2008 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Hi Tel

That makes perfect sense. My brain always goes 10 to the dozen - never could relax so I think conversations with myself are now in order.

Thanks for that, Gail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version