Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
colmanl
Ireland
Joined 5688 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 8
23 October 2008 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
I am going to learn french at home and would like some advice on what programmes audio, or audio visual, you would recommend to use. Has anybody used LEARN FRENCH BY POD CAST.
1 person has voted this message useful

alfajuj
Diglot
Taiwan
Joined 6022 days ago

121 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Taiwanese, French

Message 2 of 8
23 October 2008 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
For an absolute beginner, I recommend that you start with either Michele Thomas or with Pimsleur. Those two are strictly aural based.
For something with writing also, use Assimil French With Ease. That's really excellent and has everything in parallel.

You can also use the free FSI French course: http://fsi-language-courses.com/

Once you learn some, you can use a book which you have both English and French for. the ideal choice is Le Petit Prince (the Little Prince) You can also find audio of this book, which is great to have! http://www.logoslibrary.eu/pls/wordtc/new_wordtheque.wcom_li terature_baby.print_doc1?lang=fr&letter=A&source=&num_row=20 0

Good Luck!

Bruce
Groupie
United States
Joined 6034 days ago

65 posts - 65 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French, German

Message 3 of 8
23 October 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
I'm just finishing up the Michel Thomas Beginner level and it has been amazing. I highly recommend that you start there. I plan to start his Advanced level next and then do Assimil along with various other things like podcasts, the French in Action Videos online, and native materials.

gilozoaire
Belgium
Joined 5698 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: French*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 4 of 8
23 October 2008 at 11:22am | IP Logged 
If the Michael Thomas course has been made by Michael Thomas himself, then I recommend Pimsleur over it. Thomas has a strong accent. Pimsleur is made with natives.

Othar
Diglot
Germany
Joined 6020 days ago

185 posts - 205 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Norwegian, Turkish

Message 5 of 8
23 October 2008 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
I would recommend Michael Thomas even with the accent as first course. If it is followed by a course with native speakers you will not keep the accent. The understanding you get with MT is really helpfull.

Bruce
Groupie
United States
Joined 6034 days ago

65 posts - 65 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French, German

Message 6 of 8
23 October 2008 at 2:04pm | IP Logged 
I think Michel Thomas' French accent is reasonable. I listened to a sample of his Spanish and I didn't like it. His French course is the best language tool I've ever used though, and you could correct minor accent problems later with native materials. You'll only be doing Michel Thomas for a short time anyway.

I haven't done the French Pimsleur but I've done Pimsleur in other languages and found that it doesn't teach very much. What I did learn from it, I learned very well, and the accents were good, but I think it's way overpriced for what it teaches.

gilozoaire
Belgium
Joined 5698 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: French*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 7 of 8
23 October 2008 at 2:18pm | IP Logged 
I just listened to Michael Thomas's CD8 and his accent is really really off: intonation, prononciation etc

Not passable at all. If you can begin with something else, do it. It's important not to instill bad habits, especially in the beginning.

colmanl
Ireland
Joined 5688 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 8 of 8
23 October 2008 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for information. I have decided to purchase Michele Thomas for beginners. Will let you know how I get on with it.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version