Groupie
United States
Joined 5693 days ago

42 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 11
24 October 2008 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
I was originally studying French, but I've decided to learn Hindi instead because I will be spending 5 months in India during the summer of 2009. Can anyone give me any help or suggestions on learning materials as well as how to best gear myself toward using Hindi in India? I will be in north India where usage of Hindi is still somewhat strong, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of places to practice. Can anyone also give me information on the best way to maximize my 'immersion' experience? I am a beginner and this will be the first time that I will be living abroad for an extended period of time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5951 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 2 of 11
24 October 2008 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Try this
thread.
I personally recommend both Teach Yourself Hindi and Teach Yourself Urdu. IMHO, they're much
better than the corresponding Colloquial counterparts.

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6056 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Gujarati*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 11
24 October 2008 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
As a supplement to courses, bollywood movies would be a good idea too. Modern movies use a lot of Hinglish (mixture of Hindi and English), and it would give you exposure to language as well as culture.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5959 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 4 of 11
25 October 2008 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
Before you start with anything, where precisely in India are you going? If you're visting the south, Hindi probably won't be of much use among the Dravidian-speakers there.

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6056 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 

Message 5 of 11
25 October 2008 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
Most of the people - even in South - know Hindi because it is a National Language. Though IowaHawkeye did mention that he will be in North. The prominent language in North India is punjabi. However, Hindi is your best option because it would enable you to be understood almost everywhere in India. Even people who do not use it in their daily life are able to have some form of conversation in Hindi.

Aquedita
Triglot
Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5825 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 11
26 October 2008 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
IowaHawkeye wrote:
I was originally studying French, but I've decided to learn Hindi instead because I will be spending 5 months in India during the summer of 2009. Can anyone give me any help or suggestions on learning materials as well as how to best gear myself toward using Hindi in India? I will be in north India where usage of Hindi is still somewhat strong, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of places to practice. Can anyone also give me information on the best way to maximize my 'immersion' experience? I am a beginner and this will be the first time that I will be living abroad for an extended period of time.

You have no idea how much do I envy you right now, you're so lucky! :O

IowaHawkeye
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5693 days ago

42 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 7 of 11
27 October 2008 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Quote:
You have no idea how much do I envy you right now, you're so lucky! :O

Yeah, I am really excited about it. I've already applied for a 10 year multiple entry visa (I'm a self proclaimed indophile and 'Windian' (wannabe Indian). I finally have the time and money to go. I will be keeping a blog with videos and pictures along with write-ups of my experiences. So far I've started the visa process and now I'm opening an account with HSBC.

Next, I have to start with Hindi and possibly some Kannada/Tamil as I may spend part of my trip in Bangalore. I'm mostly concentrating on Hindi due to the better availability of resources.

Emerald
Triglot
United Kingdom
languagedabbler.blog
Joined 6056 days ago

316 posts - 340 votes 

Message 8 of 11
28 October 2008 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
While it is a great thought to learn Tamil/Kannada if you want to, you can be certain that in Bangalore most people you come in contact with would speak good level English, and of course Hindi.

It is great about your trip though. I am sure you will have fun. Do you wish to achieve anything specific in your trip, or merely the Indian experience?

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version