Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5774 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 12
28 October 2008 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Since my major is Japanese we need to take a second oriental language as well so I chose Chinese. And yes, I am very happy with my choice :) The teacher is so nice, not only does she teach useful vocab, but also she talks about the daily life and culture and gives us tips "just in case should you ever go to China..." which is so sweet!

I decided to apply for a scholarship to study in China. Preferably Shanghai or Kunming, but I won't be that picky ;) So... I guess it's high time I got serious about my Mandarin studies!

I'm so glad I finally have a Chinese name. It's 姫 天舞(Ji TianWu) and I love it, I think it's perfect and suits me well.

Today the class was really good. We practiced pronunciation and read a dialog, did some vocab and grammar exercises connected with the text and in the end I was asked to act out a scene with another girl from my group. I was suppose to be the host who entertains her guest in a polite way. Than we switched roles and I was a picky and moody guest :) It was fun and I do feel I'm gaining more and more confidence with each sentence I recite or write. Hopefully by the end of this academic year it will get even better.

Edited by Aquedita on 12 April 2009 at 11:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mistral
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5689 days ago

160 posts - 179 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, German

Message 2 of 12
29 October 2008 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
W tym roku zaczęłaś naukę chińskiego czy już wcześniej? Bardzo trudno jest mówić z odpowiednim akcentem (tony pewnie przyprawiają o bóle głowy)?

Czekam na kolejny wpis :)

customic
Tetraglot
Groupie
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5640 days ago

44 posts - 66 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, English, German, Turkish
Studies: Arabic (Written), Persian

Message 3 of 12
29 October 2008 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
I hope you won't be angry with me, but personally I don't like Japanese and Chinese
very much ;) I don't know why, maybe it's some kind of prejudice, but their letters
and intonation scare me a bit ;) However, I've promised to myself, that after I learn
my most favourite languages, I will someday try to learn basics of Chinese (or Arabic,
perhaps, since their alphabet scares me too ;) - maybe it's not so scary after all? :)
but for sure it's very difficult! :)

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5675 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 12
30 October 2008 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
I could be wrong, but I think that people in Shanghai speak a different/seperate "dialect" called Shanghainese... so it might not be the best place to practice Mandarin ):

But anyway, good luck!

neil-flynn
United Kingdom
Joined 5721 days ago

116 posts - 117 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: SpanishB2, Mandarin

Message 5 of 12
31 October 2008 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
yeah, they speak shanghainese there, but they also speak mandarin. Especially since Shanghai has become a metropolis, Mandarin is widely spoken.

Aquedita
Triglot
Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5774 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 6 of 12
31 October 2008 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
Customic: I personally don't think Chinese s scary. Since I know Japanese it's really easy for me to learn it. Arabic is so beautiful and charming but way harder. I tried, so I know ;)

Maya_Star17: of course Shanghai has it's own dialect just like any other city in China or Japan or anywhere else. I study in Poznań (not my hometown) and occasionally I come across words in POLISH that I don't understand. And I'm a native! But sure, in Chinese it's more complicated. But if I will be lucky enough to get the scholarship, I will learn Mandarin in the university anyway, so no worries :)

So... Yesterday I finally managed to pick up the package which I had shipped over from Japan in SEPTEMBER! And among others I found my long lost Chinese textbooks :)
- キャンパス的中国語 (+CD)
- 現代中国語
- 中国語スピーキング倶楽部
- 中国語デイリーライフ (読解と会話)
Yes, they're all in Japanese. But that's not a problem ;)

Yesterday I did all the pronunciation exercises with the CD, after all that's what Chinese is all about, isn't it?
Today I did an hour of shadowing using the easy dialogs from the first book and the CD, I practically learned them by heart. Also I went through a couple of first lessons in each textbook so that I can figure out what's the structure of lessons and how difficult are they. I came across some new words and phrases but nothing shocking or terrifying.
All in all a very productive day!

Jee
Australia
Joined 6069 days ago

105 posts - 105 votes 
Studies: English

Message 7 of 12
02 November 2008 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
Well done, such a self-motivated and productive learner.
Keep going, I'm a Mandarin tutor in Australia. I'd like to help you solve some question, and also discuss most efficient way to learn it.
Cheers
Jee

Mistral
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5689 days ago

160 posts - 179 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, German

Message 8 of 12
02 November 2008 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Keep it up! I'm waiting for more entries but that's a good start!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version