Poland
myspace.com/aqueda_v
Joined 5795 days ago

154 posts - 164 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin

Message 9 of 12
05 November 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged 
Jee: thank you so much for the comment, it's so sweet of you! :)

Oh my gosh, what a week!
Yesterday my teacher prised my progress in Chinese and my pronunciation and admitted that she was sure I will survive in China. Good to know, hahaha! I was so damn proud of myself :D I lend her my new textbooks, hope I'll get them back later this week!
Also I started an account at http://dontbreakthechain.com/ to report any day I do something with my Chinese. Just a small motivation trick. I'll copy the progress report every month here.

And to spice things up - today our teacher brought a native speaker from Canton to our class and we were suppose to talk to him, hahaha :D But luckily, he was polite enough to speak slowly and clearly and not to make fun of our poor skills :P He helped us with our pronunciation. I asked some good questions - he did understand me and what's more important, I was able to understood his replies, yeah!

I'm kind of tired now but at the same time so driven to do more in terms of my Chinese studies. motivation is the one thing I'm not lacking at all ;) I have to start getting all the documents ready for my scholarship application quite soon.
1 person has voted this message useful

Mistral
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5710 days ago

160 posts - 179 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, German

Message 10 of 12
18 November 2008 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
I co tu tak cicho? :(

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4916 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 11 of 12
06 May 2016 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
Aquedita wrote:

I'm so glad I finally have a Chinese name. It's 姫 天舞(Ji TianWu) and I love it, I think it's perfect and suits me well.

Based on the Kanji, I concludes that "Ji" means "princess" and "Tian" means "heaven". What does "Wu" mean?
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4225 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 12 of 12
07 May 2016 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
maya_star17 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think that people in Shanghai speak a different/separate "dialect" called Shanghainese... so it might not be the best place to practice Mandarin ):

In China you can practically speak Mandarin anywhere. In school the core subjects are taught in Mandarin so you should have no trouble getting around in Mandarin. It is true that every province in China has its distinctive sets of dialects and sub-dialects. But even in a province like Guangdong, you normally expect people to speak Cantonese but you can still get around with Mandarin quite easily. Except in neighboring Hong Kong & Macao you can get around with Mandarin but the locals prefer to speak Cantonese and some may not be very fluent in Mandarin.

Writing and recognizing the characters is not easy. Many people can recognize characters in text (newspaper, online, etc.) but can't always recall how to write some of them. Learning the characters take a lot of practice. Depending on the frequency you come across them, there are always characters you see in a newspaper or magazine that you don't know. Personally I prefer reading news articles online because I can Cut & Paste characters to an online dictionary to get the meaning.

I use an online dictionary MDBG. You can enter a character or a word in English to get the correct meaning. Beside the meaning in English, there is an arrow you can open a list of options. There is a speaker button to listen to the pronunciation.
www.MDBG.net

A Chinese lady Shaolan developed a method a few years ago for learning Chinese characters called Chineasy. Her approach is for Simplified Chinese characters. Anybody who is learning Chinese and not familiar with Chineasy can watch the video demo below:
Learn to read Chinese

Good luck...

Edited by shk00design on 07 May 2016 at 1:36pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version