United Kingdom
Joined 5697 days ago

15 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 9 of 10
04 November 2008 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Moro

It's great to know Egyptian people I can ask questions of.

I'm finding it quite challenging at the moment. I have never learned anything where there are so few resources available. Trying to expand vocabulary beyond the basic is a nightmare. Short of sitting down with an Egyptian who says 'yes we use this word' or 'no we don't' it seems the only way is trial and error. There are one or two phrasebooks but they are nothing like as complete as a dictionary. Very frustrating.

I bought the Lingvosoft Arabic software and that is almost completely useless to me. They were so unethical. They persuaded me to buy a 'package' with everything in it but I find the package consists of programs for pocket pc, palmOS as well as windows plus versions in French, Russian, Turkish, Spanish, Italian, Polish and Dutch. I got the Talking dictionary and phrasebook as well as the flashcard software but only the phrasebook talks in Arabic, the dictionary only talks in English. The grammar guide is a guide to English grammar which is a waste of time. They have no business selling this product to people wanting to learn Arabic when it is clearly designed for Arabic speakers wanting to learn English. I suspect they are trying to convert it but haven't got there yet.

It sounds good value when they say it has loads in it but frankly if you are English only the English-Arabic is useful. Why would I want French-Arabic, Spanish-Arabic etc.? Out of nearly 30 programs I can only use 3 and I doubt they will help much with the Egyptian. I will just sell them off on eBay when I have time.

Has anyone else fallen for their sales hype?

Sorry that turned into a rant.

Back to the point in question. Could I send you a few words every now and then so you can tell me if they are usd in Egyptian Arabic?

Many thanks, Gay

1 person has voted this message useful

moro85
Triglot
Egypt
Joined 5690 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written)*, English, French
Studies: Turkish

Message 10 of 10
04 November 2008 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
hey, iam feeling sorry for what u faced :)
anyway concerning ur questions ofcourse i can help u, just send me as much words and questions as u can i will be glad to help u and iam happy u r learning my language, waiting ur questions :)
take care, bye
1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version