Finland
Joined 6422 days ago

156 posts - 156 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 1 of 5
29 October 2008 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
I remember most people here recommend one over the other... but I can't remember which.

I also recall the one in question (assimil?) had a second name to which most people referred...

Ring any bells?
1 person has voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6714 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 2 of 5
29 October 2008 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
I guess most of people here recommend Assimil. FSI can be boring with all the drills, but it's free of charge so you csn try if you like it anyway. Other methods that are mentioned here pretty often are Platiquemos (based on FSI), Learning Spanish Like Crazy, Michel Thomas and Pimsleur. You'll find more information and opinions if you simply search for these names here on the forum.

badger2
Finland
Joined 6422 days ago

156 posts - 156 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 3 of 5
30 October 2008 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Julie wrote:
I guess most of people here recommend Assimil. FSI can be boring with all the drills, but it's free of charge so you csn try if you like it anyway. Other methods that are mentioned here pretty often are Platiquemos (based on FSI), Learning Spanish Like Crazy, Michel Thomas and Pimsleur. You'll find more information and opinions if you simply search for these names here on the forum.

Ahh Platiquemos and FSI... that's where this "double name" thing was coming from.

Thanks, Julie.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6183 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 4 of 5
30 October 2008 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
Assimil. Hands down. No contest. I did the first wave and stoped at lesson 80. I do speak French but sometimes now I stumble across Spanish online and can read whole sentences and get the gist of lots of others. If you actually completed the course you'd have an excellent grounding in the language.

Assimil is the best. Other than De Agostini, so sayeth Luca. :P

Edited by zerothinking on 30 October 2008 at 7:09am

AndrewL
United States
Joined 6470 days ago

26 posts - 36 votes
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 5 of 5
30 October 2008 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
I'd say go Assimil doing plenty of review and not just sliding along by doing each lesson once and also putting the sentences in Mnemosyne or some other SRS once you get to the active phase. THEN go do FSI after completing all 100 or so lessons of the passive phase. This will hopefully help you to solidify the language completely. Besides, with the SRS thing with sentences: It's what I'm doing and I'm actually starting to make some progress with the complex Spanish verb system.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version