Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 1 of 8
03 November 2008 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Sometime over the next few months, I'd like to solidify my Esperanto with extensive reading. I'm aware that quite a number of Esperanto books are available online, that there are some large Esperanto libraries, etc, but where do people buy hardcopy Esperanto books?

I stumbled across http://katalogo.uea.org/ earlier; has anyone here used it, or bought Esperanto books online from other bookstores, and if so, which, and how were they?

1 person has voted this message useful

Budz
Octoglot
Australia
languagepump.com
Joined 6167 days ago

118 posts - 171 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Mandarin, Cantonese, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Korean, Portuguese, Bulgarian, Persian, Hungarian, Kazakh, Swahili, Vietnamese, Polish

Message 2 of 8
03 November 2008 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
I've used it a few times. It's pretty good and even to Australia the postage is cheap, probably even cheaper than sending books within Australia. Or you can wander over to Poland next year for the world congress of Esperanto where the UEA always sets up a bookshop. Or of course, if you were to go to Rotterdam you would find that the UEA bookshop is open just like any other bookshop.

remush
Tetraglot
Groupie
Belgium
remush.beRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6062 days ago

79 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: French*, Esperanto, English, Dutch
Studies: German, Polish

Message 3 of 8
04 November 2008 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
where do people buy hardcopy Esperanto books?

I used both UEA and FEL. You may also contact an Esperanto centre closer to your location. Where do you live?
You may write directly to François Randin, Pf. 246, 1000 Lausanne 22; tel (021) 657 14 55, Fax: (021) 657 14 56; mail address

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5641 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 8
28 February 2009 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
Sometime over the next few months, I'd like to solidify my Esperanto with extensive reading. I'm aware that quite a number of Esperanto books are available online, that there are some large Esperanto libraries, etc, but where do people buy hardcopy Esperanto books?

I stumbled across http://katalogo.uea.org/ earlier; has anyone here used it, or bought Esperanto books online from other bookstores, and if so, which, and how were they?

I am also an Esperantist (I started learning Esperanto in 1991) and I order all my Esperanto books via UEA in the Netherlands. You can really buy all kinds of Esperanto-books there inclusive dictionaries, CDs, just everything that is published in Esperanto. The big advantage for me is the wide range of products and the fact that they don't ask for credit cards. They just send you the merchandise with an invoice included. I would really recommend you UEA.

Fasulye-Babylonia

Edited by Fasulye on 28 February 2009 at 9:07pm

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5540 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 5 of 8
02 March 2009 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Esperanto seems like an interesting language. I hope that once I have finished with Finnish that I can use my
English to pick it up right away. From my understanding (and please feel free to correct me here) Esperanto was
developed by someone living in Germany so the language probably had at least some German influence. It seems
like an interesting thing to get into especially because there are speakers worldwide and access to materials on the
Internet.

Edited by sprachefin on 02 March 2009 at 4:53pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6233 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 6 of 8
02 March 2009 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
sprachefin wrote:
Esperanto seems like an interesting language. I hope that once I have finished with Finnish that I can use my
English to pick it up right away. From my understanding (and please feel free to correct me here) Esperanto was
developed by someone living in Germany so the language probably had at least some German influence. It seems
like an interesting thing to get into especially because there are speakers worldwide and access to materials on the
Internet.

Good luck learning Esperanto. It was actually developed by Zamenhof, who lived in Białystok (which was then in Russia, and now in Poland). The root words are much more similar to that of Romance languages than Germanic ones, though it's closer to Germanic ones than Slavic ones - at least judging by the percentage from each stock.

sprachefin
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5540 days ago

300 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Spanish
Studies: French, Turkish, Mandarin, Bulgarian, Persian, Dutch

Message 7 of 8
03 March 2009 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
Looking at its profile, it seems like an interesting and easy language. I'd probably use this as a side language to
learn. Like something that you can learn along with something else. It is very easy to comprehend for me as I have
flirted with languages that Esperanto originated from.

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6162 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 8 of 8
09 September 2009 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
sprachefin wrote:
Looking at its profile, it seems like an interesting and easy language. I'd probably use this as a side language to
learn. Like something that you can learn along with something else. It is very easy to comprehend for me as I have
flirted with languages that Esperanto originated from.

Well, since you know German, it probably won't be too big of a surprise. To people who come from languages in which words are basic units which can't be combined, it's a bit of a surprise. Even still, there are a few a priori elements in Esperanto (ejo, ingo, ujo, etc.) and seeing a suffix or prefix as a root has got to be a bit jarring for anyone:
La ujo eble enhavas aferojn indajn je manĝado (La container might contain things worth eating).

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version