Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 49 of 162
08 November 2008 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
One more observation on the dialogues:

Surely it's better to use native names? But if we do, the "Alex" thing won't translate (unless Alex is a foreign tourist)...

Please don't debate the color of the paint on the bikeshed.

1 person has voted this message useful

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 5871 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Esperanto, Sanskrit, Japanese

Message 50 of 162
08 November 2008 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
One more observation on the dialogues:

Surely it's better to use native names? But if we do, the "Alex" thing won't translate (unless Alex is a foreign tourist)...

I'd prefer to keep the names. Then the characters are consistent over the different languages.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 51 of 162
09 November 2008 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Wow, 10 languages already, and half of them not Indo-European! Thank you all!

I have collected and organized all translations at http://www.learnlangs.com/coursewiki/index.php?title=Multila ng/Lessons now (without the space that this forum software inserts). Use that page to easily see what is still missing - what languages haven't been translated at all yet, what languages only have lesson 1 so far (the ones with the red links), what lessons could use notes, a transcription or literal translation... feel free to just edit things in immediately on this page, it's a wiki after all (due to an overwhelming amount of spam bots I had to limit editing to registered users, but registration takes 1 minute only). However, if you post stuff here or send it to me in private, I will try to find the time and edit it in myself, because I am so glad that we are moving forward after a long discussion. Some still aren't done discussing, but I believe that language learners everywhere will be happy to see *anything* that helps them with their chosen language. When working with a community of volunteers, I will let people contribute whatever they want and whenever they have the time. So even if you want to submit sound files already, that's fine by me. Or if you want to contribute texts, translations, notes, transcriptions, pictures... we don't need to discuss whether people need these; students can never have too many resources at their disposal.

Emerald: very good thinking (about choosing "she is standing there"). If anybody else is experiencing the problem that "She is over there" would be gender-neutral in your language, you could also translate "She is the woman over there" and make a note to that effect.

In general, think of how you would say something in your language first, and afterwards explain any differences to English. Often seeing a differing translation (with an explanation about the reason) is more educational than seeing one that is exactly the same. It is not the goal to find English sentences that can be translated literally into all the languages of the world. The goal is to teach students how to get certain meanings across.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 09 November 2008 at 3:08pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 52 of 162
09 November 2008 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 1 - Swedish

Anna: Hej Tom!
Tom: Hej Anna! Hur mår du?
Anna: (Jag mår) bra, och du?
Tom: Mycket bra, tack. Jag måste gå. Vi ses!
Anna: Hej då!

Extra: Godmorgon! Goddag! Godeftermiddag! Godkväll! Godnatt!

NOTES
New letters and sounds (in order of appeareance)
Each vowel can be long or short (often a short vowel is followed by doubled consonants, or a combination of consonants). Some approximations are given below (with examples from the text in parentheses):

J as the /y/ in yellow and never as in jar, jam et.c. (hej)
U long: similar to /u/ in rude (du)
Å long: similar to /o/ in more (mår, då), short: RP /o/ in box, John (måste)
CH as /ck/ in lock (och)
Y similar to the French /u/ and German /ü/ (mycket)

Lesson 2 - Swedish

Tom: Ursäkta (mig), är du Alex?
Man 1: Nej, det är jag inte.
Tom: Åh, förlåt.
Man 1: Inga problem.
Man 2 (går fram till Tom): Hej!
Tom: Hej Alex! Jag är Tom, från Kanada.
Man 2: Jag beklagar, jag är inte Alex. Hon är därborta.
Tom: Hon??? Är Alex en kvinna??

NOTES:
For the verb ”to be” you use the same form for all persons - “jag är”, “du är”, ”hon är”. All verbs work this way.

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 5871 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 

Message 53 of 162
09 November 2008 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I have collected and organized all translations at http://www.learnlangs.com/coursewiki/index.php?title=Multila ng/Lessons now (without the space that this forum software inserts). Use that page to easily see what is still missing - what languages haven't been translated at all yet, what languages only have lesson 1 so far (the ones with the red links), what lessons could use notes, a transcription or literal translation... feel free to just edit things in immediately on this page, it's a wiki after all (due to an overwhelming amount of spam bots I had to limit editing to registered users, but registration takes 1 minute only).

I've made an account and I'll start some work soon. I suggest that we also move the discussion of translations to the discussion pages on the wiki, or at least start new discussions there.

pitwo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5940 days ago

103 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 54 of 162
09 November 2008 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
I've made a French Canadian translation, but am not sure how to add it. Could anyone push me in the right direction ?

----

Multilang / Lesson 1

Anna: Salut Tom!
Tom: Salut Anna! Comment ça va?
Anna: Ça va bien, et toi?
Tom: Je vais très bien, merci. Je dois partir. À plus!
Anna: Bye!

Extra: Bon matin! Bon après-midi! Bonsoir! Bonne nuit!

Edited by pitwo on 09 November 2008 at 8:47pm

farrioth
New Zealand
Joined 5871 days ago

171 posts - 173 votes 

Message 55 of 162
09 November 2008 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
pitwo wrote:
I've made a French Canadian translation, but am not sure how to add it. Could anyone push me in the right direction ?

Sign up (and log in) to the wiki; edit the lesson page with a link to a Canadian French page (it doesn't have to exist yet), then click on that link and edit the page.

Edit: Please name your page "Multilang/Lesson_1/Canadian_French" to be consistent.

If you're unsure about wiki markup, refer to Wikipedia. It uses the same markup and has documentation there, I believe.

I hope this is detailed enough.

Edited by farrioth on 09 November 2008 at 10:38pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 56 of 162
10 November 2008 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Here are the next two dialogs. I've also put these new dialogs into the second post of this thread, so that it's easier to keep track.

I am carefully planning these dialogs to include revision of previously-learned items and also to have a logical progression towards more difficult topics. In my head I always roughly try out the dialogs in French, German, Latin, Modern Greek, Esperanto, Chinese, Arabic and Swahili for all that I'm able to, so I'm hoping that the translation will never pose much of a problem, no matter what language you speak. If there ever is a major problem translating a dialog, let me know so that we can figure out a solution.

Lesson 3 - Original

Tom and Alex have talked a bit and now they are going to Alex' house. On the way, Alex points out some sights.

Alex: This is the river, and that over there is the famous bridge.
Tom: Interesting. What is this?!
Alex: That is the history museum.
Tom: No, not that building. This... modern... building.
Alex: Oh, this is the art museum.

If your language has these features, please explain them shortly:
- definite articles
- word genders
- compound nouns, if "history museum" and "art museum" would be compounds in your language
- word order for article + adjective + noun
DON'T go into declensions or changing adjective forms yet - of course you should use them if they are required, but don't explain yet.

Lesson 4 - Original

Tom: Is your home very far?
Alex: No, we are almost there. Are you tired?
Tom: No, I'm not tired.
Alex: Let me introduce you to my family. This is my father. Dad, this is Tom.
Tom: Nice to meet you.
Father: Likewise.
Alex: And this is my mother.
Tom: Nice to meet you, too.
Mother: Likewise.
Alex: And... where is John?
Mother: John is not here at the moment. He and Sarah are at a party.
Tom: John? Sarah? Alex, is Sarah your sister?
Mother: John is her brother. Sarah is his girlfriend.

For the introductions, please don't translate literally but provide whatever phrases people are supposed to say.

If your language has these features, please explain them shortly in the notes:
- plural forms of the copula if you opted to teach singular only so far
- "to be" for a location, if it is different from the copula
- possessive pronouns
- if it makes a difference in your language, translate "younger sister" and "younger" brother and explain more here

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version