zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6159 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 27
12 November 2008 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Hey,

As a lover of languages and linguistic variation, I think it's a good idea to record
as many languages as possible and keep them alive long enough. At least we should
raise people in areas as bilingual in those languages. It's sad that a majority
language would entirely whip out a smaller language. I know this is the nature of
things but at least a small effort towards preserving some of the languages in the
world is better than nothing.

I feel compelled to learn a near-extinct language. When I'm done with all the others I
wish to learn, I think it'd be a nice thing to do. In addition, I've always had a
little nerdy want of a "personal language" that only I and a few other people speak.
This goes against one of the main reasons I learn language, which is to speak to many
people in the language and grow culturally and linguistically. But that's ok, I'm
willing to make an exception. It's similar to learning Latin or Ancient Greek, there
are other reasons to learn languages.

Do any of you have any ideas which language I should learn? I ask out of curiosity. I
was thinking of just going with any indo-european language. I've looked at Saami
languages, that'd be cool

Thanks in advance. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5867 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 27
12 November 2008 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Okay.
I think you will know what language I am going to put forward (I am an activist for the language so what can you expect)

Cornish

This language is of the Brythonic Celtic languages (along with Welsh and Breton) and I believe an I-E language. Not only is Cornish spoken in Cornwall, but also in Australia!
Cornish was the language of the great Cornish miners who spread all over the world - hence the phrase "Wherever in the World you see a whole in the ground, you will find a Cornishman at the bottom, digging for tin" - and took their language/dialect and national identity with them! The descendants of which have learnt Cornish, and make up a substantial amount.

Here is a link to a page showing a wide variety of Cornish Australian Associations
http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/associat.htm#Aus

Cornish has around 10,000 speakers around the world, of which about 1000-2000 are fluent and a few native.

This language needs as much help as we can give it, so I ask you that you consider this language.

I will post later about how to learn Cornish (if you want to)

TEL

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5935 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 3 of 27
12 November 2008 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
zerothinking wrote:

Do any of you have any ideas which language I should learn? I ask out of curiosity. I
was thinking of just going with any indo-european language. I've looked at Saami

Saami languages aren't Indo-European; they're Finno-Ugric.

Why don't you try one of the aboriginal languages in Australia? Go into the bush and live with the people for a while and get a full immersion.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6257 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 27
12 November 2008 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
You may be interested in this thread on Unilang. It discusses various endangered languages and how to learn them.

Edited by Sprachprofi on 12 November 2008 at 4:30am

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6159 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 5 of 27
12 November 2008 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
amphises wrote:
zerothinking wrote:

Saami languages aren't Indo-European; they're Finno-Ugric.

Why don't you try one of the aboriginal languages in Australia? Go into the bush and
live with the people for a while and get a full immersion.

Ah yes well spotted. Sorry I really meant european rather than just indo-european. I'd
prefer it be Indo-european or Finno-Ugric though.

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6159 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 6 of 27
12 November 2008 at 3:52am | IP Logged 
TheElvenLord wrote:
Okay.
I think you will know what language I am going to put forward (I am an activist for
the language so what can you expect)

Cornish

This language is of the Brythonic Celtic languages (along with Welsh and Breton) and I
believe an I-E language. Not only is Cornish spoken in Cornwall, but also in
Australia!
Cornish was the language of the great Cornish miners who spread all over the world -
hence the phrase "Wherever in the World you see a whole in the ground, you will find a
Cornishman at the bottom, digging for tin" - and took their language/dialect and
national identity with them! The descendants of which have learnt Cornish, and make up
a substantial amount.

Here is a link to a page showing a wide variety of Cornish Australian Associations
http://www.cornwall-online.co.uk/associat.htm#Aus

Cornish has around 10,000 speakers around the world, of which about 1000-2000 are
fluent and a few native.

This language needs as much help as we can give it, so I ask you that you consider
this language.

I will post later about how to learn Cornish (if you want to)

TEL

Excellent. I was interested in Celtic languages. This looks pretty good. I'm
interested in finding out more and how to learn it. I see it's been revived! That's
very interesting indeed! I'll consider it for sure. ^_^

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6241 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Sámi, Latin

Message 7 of 27
12 November 2008 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
In fact almost all the Finno-Ugric languages (except Finnish, Hungarian, Estonian and a few others) are near extinction. You could try a language like Ingrian, Livonian or Votic (all of these have only 20-200 speakers each). Or how about some native American languages? I'm personally fascinated by the Sioux languages, but they are VERY difficult to learn..

zerothinking
Australia
Joined 6159 days ago

528 posts - 772 votes 

Message 8 of 27
12 November 2008 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
bela_lugosi wrote:
In fact almost all the Finno-Ugric languages (except Finnish,
Hungarian, Estonian and a few others) are near extinction. You could try a language
like Ingrian, Livonian or Votic (all of these have only 20-200 speakers each). Or how
about some native American languages? I'm personally fascinated by the Sioux
languages, but they are VERY difficult to learn..

Yeh. I noticed that. I think I'll choose either Cornish or a Finno-Ugric language. Why
do you say Sioux languages are VERY difficult to learn?

Edited by zerothinking on 12 November 2008 at 7:41am

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version