22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
TerryW
United States
Joined 6151 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 22
16 November 2008 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
The complete Sherlock Holmes (4 novels and 56 short stories) in Spanish can be found at:

http://www.sherlock-holmes.es/descargas/?ir=novelas

Complete Sherlock Holmes in Spanish

Nice PDFs with some of the original illustrations from the Strand Magazine. These were written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle +/- 1900, so they must be public domain.

You can probably find many of the English stories online. For sure there are lots of inexpensive book compilations out there.

Audible.com has some Spanish Sherlock compilations in MP3, but listening to the samples there, I don't think they match these Spanish PDFs.

If you're interested in Sherlock, there is a relatively new "The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes" (edited and notes by Leslie S. Klinger) available in hardcover and paperback, that received rave reviews on Amazon. (Novels in one, short stories in 2 other)

It's LOADED with notes in the margins on every page, giving all kinds of insights and explanations about Victorian England.

For example, "With hardly a word spoken, but with a kindly eye, he waved me to an armchair, threw across his case of cigars, and indicated a spirit case (15) and a gasogene (16) in the corner."

(15) A "spirit case" or "tantalus" is a stand containing usually three cut-glass decanters, which, though apparently free, cannot be removed until the bar that engages the stoppers is raised. Many such cases have a padlock on the bar, to avoid "tantalising" the servants. The "tantalus" is also mentioned in "Black Peter."

(16) A "gasogene" is a device that produces sparkling soda water (seltzer). Despite its popular association with Sherlock Holmes, the gasogene is mentioned only in "A Scandal in Bohemia" and "The Manzarin Stone."

There may be more annotation than story text!

(19) "Slavery" was a term used for maid servants assigned primarily the lowest duties.

(20) A compound of iodine then used as an antiseptic.

(21) Silver nitrate is a caustic chemical reagent and compound then used as an antiseptic and disinfectant.

Some of them are quite lengthy:

"It came by post," said he. (24)

(24) Contrary to modern expectations, the mail was then a reliable and rapid means of communication. Reform began in 1837, with British educator Rowland Hill's study of the postal system, and in 1840, prepaid postage by stamps was introduced. The advent ogf the railway, and the steamship permitted a far speedier, more regular, and more reliable mail service as the nineteenth century passed. By 1900, according to Whitaker's Almanac (1900), in the City district of London, there were twelve deliveries daily, while in other London districts there were from six to eleven collections and deliveries. Letters were normally delivered within two to four hours of posting. More urgent messages could be designated for "express delivery" at a small additional cost, or the "district messenger service," a private carrier, could be used for 3 pennies per half-mile. Overnight delivery was the standard for mail outside London.

What, no email? ;-)

15 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 22
17 November 2008 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing this!
2 persons have voted this message useful

gogglehead
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 5869 days ago

248 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 3 of 22
18 November 2008 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
So is Sherlock Holmes popular in the US?
1 person has voted this message useful

Instruct1
Groupie
United States
Joined 6231 days ago

84 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, French

Message 4 of 22
18 November 2008 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
gogglehead wrote:
So is Sherlock Holmes popular in the US?

I think it is. PBS (Public Broadcasting) sometimes runs reruns of Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett).

bluejay390
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6072 days ago

227 posts - 259 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, Malay, Italian

Message 5 of 22
18 November 2008 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for the link TerryW!

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6940 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 6 of 22
18 November 2008 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
This is a great resource. I have all of the Sherlock Holmes books. I discovered Holmes when I was around ten or eleven.

Shinn
Trilingual Tetraglot
Groupie
India
gallery.takingitglob
Joined 6206 days ago

61 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hindi*, Oriya*, SpanishB2
Studies: FrenchB1, Japanese, Irish

Message 7 of 22
19 November 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
There are a few Sherlock Holmes stories in audio format at http://www.leerescuchando.com.

Thanks for the link to the PDFs. I have all the Holmes stories and novels but I love reading them in other languages too; find they make great language learning resources. I read them in Spanish and now that I'm learning Japanese, I've been listening and reading to a couple in that language as well.

null
Groupie
China
Joined 5919 days ago

76 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*

Message 8 of 22
20 November 2008 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
off topic

Complete Sherlock Holmes stories in Chinese:

http://www.my285.com/zt/kenan/