22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
TerryW
United States
Joined 6151 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 22
23 October 2011 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
I just watched the 2010 movie "Sherlock Holmes," that I DVRed from cable, so I decided to re-visit this 3-year old thread.

I'm embarrassed to say that I had to rewind often and turn on the English captions in order to understand Robert Downey Jr.'s rapidly spoken British accent. Some language learner I am, I can't even understand my (other side of the ocean) native language.

(For any of you Brits who saw it, how authentic was his accent? Is there a Victorian London accent, or would it be the same as modern day except for the expressions, which sounded present-day in the movie?)

Anyway, when I tried to get to the PDFs in the first link above by the original poster ;-) they wouldn't work, and I was heartbroken that I lost a great resource. But they're good now, must've been a temporary glitch. I'm going to download a bunch of them now so I have them; they are really nice illustrated editions.

And to answer Gogglehead's question 3 years later, yes, Holmes is as popular in the U.S. as all classic literature.

Edited by TerryW on 23 October 2011 at 9:17am

1 person has voted this message useful

Michael K.
United States
Joined 5523 days ago

568 posts - 886 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 10 of 22
23 October 2011 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Great, thanks to TerryW for posting this, and for committing thread necromancy so I got the chance to see the link to the Sherlock Holmes stories.

My brother bought a copy of the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes a few months ago and this will give me a reason to borrow his book when he comes home in a few weeks.

Edited by Michael K. on 23 October 2011 at 6:44pm

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5805 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 11 of 22
23 October 2011 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
TerryW wrote:
These were written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle +/- 1900, so they must be public domain.

Remember that these are translations and the translator has rights too. The originals are public domain, but the versions online don't credit the translator, so you wouldn't be able to say for sure without a bit of research.

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4816 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 22
23 October 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for posting these links, by some crazy coincidence I just finished reading a simplified version of 2 Sherlock adventures in Spanish, and am hungry for more.

And Leerescuchando is fantastic!

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4857 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 13 of 22
31 October 2011 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
Bringing threads back from the dead is great because otherwise I wouldn't have seen the links. Now I have something to occupy my time. Thanks.

I've never read any of the Sherlock Holmes works (shameful, I know), so is there any order I should follow when reading these?

- Kat

TerryW
United States
Joined 6151 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 

Message 14 of 22
06 November 2011 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
Phantom Kat wrote:
I've never read any of the Sherlock Holmes works (shameful, I know), so is there any order I should follow when reading these?

Not that I've read them all, but they probably all pretty much stand up well on their own. Probably best to start with a short story to see if you like it before tackling one of the novels.

For some reason, general multi-author short story anthologies like the ones they use in English class in schools, usually include either "The Speckled Band" or "The Red-Headed League,"

I'll leave recognizing the matching Spanish story title as an exercise for the student. ;-)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5020 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 15 of 22
07 November 2011 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Oh my, this is terrific! When I get some free evenings, I'll prepare parallel English/Spanish texts of all of these. Anyone interested, ask me how it is going form time to time :)

Edit: removed the swearing :)

Edited by mrwarper on 07 November 2011 at 3:18am

TerryW
United States
Joined 6151 days ago

370 posts - 783 votes 

Message 16 of 22
07 November 2011 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Oh my, this is terrific! When I get some free evenings, I'll prepare parallel English/Spanish texts of all of these. Anyone interested, ask me how it is going form time to time :)

OK, I give up. If Spanish is your native language, and you write English as good (or should that be "well"?) or better than I do, why would you need parallel texts?

Edited by TerryW on 07 November 2011 at 6:28am

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version