Australia
Joined 5622 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Indonesian, Mandarin, Polish

Message 17 of 19
10 December 2008 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
Quote:
In Farber's book that seems so popular he says Indonesian (presumably Bahasa) is extremely easy.

Hate to throw the thread off-topic, although I feel I have paid my dues to the topic at hand given my (too lengthy?) post immediately preceding!

I have a lot of respect for a polyglot as accomplished as Farber, and this is extremely nitpicky, but I was a little confused by a line in his book vis a vis bahasa Indonesia:

Quote:
"Man", for example, is "orang." "Men" is "orang-orang" (...)

I am not a native speaker of Indonesian, but I always thought that orang-orang referred to a scarecrow or sort of a "toy-man", if you like, and never would have used that reduplicated form as a plural - ie the plural is just orang. There is an image on Flickr that confirms this point, although I am unable to post it due to forum restrictions.

Of course, I could be wrong as wrong, or the reduplicated form as plural may be acceptable in Malay or a regional dialect. Would welcome some feedback from a native Indo speaker!

Edited by sotong on 10 December 2008 at 5:01am

1 person has voted this message useful

ANK47
Triglot
United States
thearabicstudent.blo
Joined 6891 days ago

188 posts - 259 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (classical)

Message 18 of 19
19 January 2009 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
If you want a pretty easy yet exotic and chic language then I'd say Farsi is for you. When I was at DLI they called it Arabic lite. It comes from Indo-European so all the sounds are easy for English speakers and there is no gender, not even for "he" and "she". They just use "it". It uses Arabic script so you'll be able to impress your friends who will all think that it looks like some archaic scribblings!

maya_star17
Bilingual Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5709 days ago

269 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian*, French, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 19 of 19
20 January 2009 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
I'm actually going to go against the current and assert that East Asian languages are not necessarily difficult. I cannot speak for Sinitic languages or Korean, but I can explain why I think this applies to Japanese:

-Pronounciation is easy. There are a few sounds that do not exist in European languages, but it is not difficult to learn to produce these sounds.

-Grammar is indeed different from IE languages, but 'different' is not synonymous with 'difficult.' Once you get over the begginer's hurdle of getting a feel for the structure of the language (which is not hard to do), your learning will speed up at an amazing rate. Japanese also happens to have a very logical grammar.

-Kanji (characters). This intimidates and causes problems for many non-Chinese learners, but IMO this is unwarranted. First of all, kanji can be learned at an alarming rate with the right method(s) [eg. mnemonics]. Secondly, Japanese people themselves often do not know how many kanji they know. I think the fact that foreigners are told right from the beginning that 2 000 kanji are required for literacy intimidates and discourages us far more than is necessary. I would also like to offer the following quote the blog/website AJATT, written by an adult man who learned Japanese to advanced fluency:

Quote:
...the Japanese and Chinese writing systems do not use “thousands of characters” as such. A kanji is not just a character or letter: it is closer to a word. Indeed, many individual kanji are words... Each kanji is made up of logical components [all kanji are made from a subset of the same set of 190-200 or so logical components; all those logical components are made up of the same 7 or 8 strokes] those that indicate its meaning and, to some extent, even its pronunciation.

...stop going on about “thousands of characters”: those characters are WORDS, and English has a ton of words, too — hundreds of thousands — without nearly the recombinative power of kanji. You can’t measure the kanji system with the same ruler as you would an alphabet. The two systems are entirely different and it’s really apples and oranges to attempt to equate them in any way that would permit comparison.

Having said all of this... I have previously studied some Hebrew and found it ridiculously easy. Pronounciation takes some time but the grammar is very simple and it doesn't have the wealth of vocabulary found in English or French for example.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version