67 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 8 9 Next >>
Maestro
Groupie
Chile
Joined 5688 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 33 of 67
04 January 2009 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
As for my TAC? French, French and more French.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6256 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 34 of 67
04 January 2009 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
Maestro wrote:
I wonder how's a "denaskulo" accent? Is there such a thing as "native Esperanto accent" or "denaskulos" speak with the accent of their "other language" (I suppose there aren't any monolingual desnakulos )?

I'm unaware of any monolingual denaskuloj, although at least one says he started learning English (the language of his region) 'early', but after Esperanto.

I don't think there's really a native accent in Esperanto, whether or not one is a native speaker, although accents are sort of converging (there seems to be a consensus that Czechs/Serbo-Croats have nearly perfect Esperanto accents with fairly little effort, which might give you an idea of the sound, although the prosody uniformly seems to invoke comparisons with Spanish). Being Czech isn't enough to sound good if you're a beginner and speak haltingly, but I'm yet to hear a fluent Esperanto speaker who natively speaks Czech who doesn't sound amazing.

None of the native speakers I met (two Brits and a German) spoke with strong British/German accents in Esperanto. Notably, their accents also were all noticeably different from each other's - they sounded like 'typical' good Esperanto speakers. I suspect their parent's accent had an influence - one was partially Asian, and had an instantly-recognizable light Japanese twist in his accent, which I presume he learned from his father as an infant.

Perhaps oddly, I found it very disconcerting to speak with the British denaskuloj in English - I was used to their quite 'neutral' accents in Esperanto, and to hear their native UK accents in English was jarring (I found the same was true of other, non-denaskuloj, British Esperanto speakers, proportionally to how neutral their Esperanto accents were and how unfamiliar their particular UK ones were to me).

Maestro
Groupie
Chile
Joined 5688 days ago

40 posts - 40 votes

Message 35 of 67
04 January 2009 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Volte, very informative. I have actually dabbled with Esperanto for a bit but what has kept me from learning it is seriously is precisely the lack of “some accent” to model mine after. So would it be wise to model your accent after a Czech’s? Where could I find such a recording? Every time I find Esperanto audio material, it is very odd and I don’t really like it. The only one I could bear was that of the “Vere aŭ fantazie” tales at lernu.net
(http://fr.lernu.net/biblioteko/rakontoj/vere_aux_fantazie/0 1.php)

Is there any radio that broadcast 24 hours in Esperanto or any good length audio-book (with Standard / Czech accent)?

How about Italian accented Esperanto?

Thanks, I hope I’m not being a nuisance and sorry for my clumsy English.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6256 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 36 of 67
04 January 2009 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Maestro wrote:
Thanks Volte, very informative. I have actually dabbled with Esperanto for a bit but what has kept me from learning it is seriously is precisely the lack of “some accent” to model mine after. So would it be wise to model your accent after a Czech’s? Where could I find such a recording? Every time I find Esperanto audio material, it is very odd and I don’t really like it. The only one I could bear was that of the “Vere aŭ fantazie” tales at lernu.net
(http://fr.lernu.net/biblioteko/rakontoj/vere_aux_fantazie/0 1.php)

Is there any radio that broadcast 24 hours in Esperanto or any good length audio-book (with Standard / Czech accent)?

How about Italian accented Esperanto?

Thanks, I hope I’m not being a nuisance and sorry for my clumsy English.

Your English is good; no need to apologize for it! You're not being a nuisance at all either; those are good questions.

As for model speakers, etc: I'll try to find some and post links here.

As for audiobooks: I'm looking into them; I've been sent links to some sites, but still need to check them; I don't know how long they are.

Italian-accented Esperanto isn't bad, but it's not ideal either. A mild Italian accent is ok (as is any mild accent); a heavy Italian accent sounds rather odd (especially because of the prosody).

I don't know of 24/7 broadcasts, but there are a lot of broadcasts in general; Radio Arkivo is perhaps a good place to start, although it's far from complete.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6414 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 37 of 67
05 January 2009 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Great to hear about your progress, Volte! It has inspired me to finally start doing something about my Esperanto :)))

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6256 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 38 of 67
05 January 2009 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
For audiobooks, there are a few sites:

Esperanto en Sono - various short works, like Baghy's famous poem "Estas mi Esperantisto". Worth listening to, and the accent is acceptable, but I wouldn't recommend aiming for it.

Librivox has the English translation of Zamenhof's introduction to Esperanto (which includes a fair amount in Esperanto), and "Alice in Wonderland" (translated to Esperanto) in progress. Be careful: the reader has a quite strong UK accent in his Esperanto; I wouldn't recommend using him as a model, although I'm certainly grateful for and appreciative of the work he put in.

Projekto de sonlibroj en Esperanto (ProSE) has a few short Andersen stories, in Esperanto translation. Worth listening to, and the accent is acceptable, but I wouldn't recommend aiming for it.

Gerda Malaperis: the full text and recording of the famous beginner's novel by Claude Piron. The accents of the speakers don't match my ideal, but they're the best of any of the above, in my opinion.

In short: I'd use the above novels/poems/short stories for listening practice, but I wouldn't shadow any of them.

Edited by Volte on 05 January 2009 at 12:58pm

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6256 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 39 of 67
05 January 2009 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
For model speakers, I certainly can't do better than to present John Well's list (he's a famous linguist and Esperanto speaker), given in his "Bona kaj Malbona pronuncadoj" article in "Vojagxo en Esperanto Lando" (an absolutely fantastic book, which I cannot recommend highly enough - it is, by far, the best overview of Esperanto history and culture that I've seen, as well as being a language workbook for improving your Esperanto; I can't think of its peer for any other language - it's that good).

He says: "Efektive, cxehxoj, serboj kaj kroatoj havas mirinde belan Esperantan pronuncon. Suficxas citi kelkajn konatajn nomojn: Karolo Píč, Ivo Lapenna, Tibor Sekelj, Simo Milojević, Spomenka Štimec.

I've included a youtube link for the only one that has anything on youtube, which should give you an idea of the accent in question; the recordings of the other speakers should hopefully be google-able. The wikipedia articles on the Esperanto wikipedia also give the Esperanto-ized spellings of the above names - the accents change, for instance.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6256 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 40 of 67
05 January 2009 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Great to hear about your progress, Volte! It has inspired me to finally start doing something about my Esperanto :)))

Fantastic, I'm glad to hear it. Feel free to ask me questions, though I can't swear I'll know the answers. :-)

You're continually making me struggle with myself about Finnish, by the way ;-) I'm very tempted by the language, but I have too many others on my plate... but it's so tempting.. :)

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version