Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Dutch profile

Tags: Dutch
 Language Learning Forum : Collaborative writing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
administrator
Hexaglot
Forum Admin
Switzerland
FXcuisine.com
Joined 7162 days ago

3094 posts - 2987 votes 
12 sounds
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian
Personal Language Map

Message 1 of 40
20 September 2005 at 7:41am | IP Logged 
A reader has kindly submitted me the following profile for the Dutch language. I wonder if anybody with knowledge of or about that language could expand or correct the following profile:

Usefulness: Dutch is not a major world language. It is spoken in the Netherlands and Wallonia (the northern half of Belgium). Although the Dutch once commanded a mighty empire in south-east Asia (namely Indonesia), the use of the language there has greatly declined. Also nearly every Dutch person can speak impeccable english!

Beauty: Dutch is not a beautiful language. It is very gutteral with an overdose of silent vowels. However, it is easy to become fascinated as you have no idea how you're understanding what you're hearing! It sounds just like double dutch!

Chic Factor: Dutch is not a major language of the European Union and very few people outside of the Netherlands and Belgium can speak it. People will gawk as you gag speaking Dutch. The variety of hard gutteral sounds mixed with a very soft accent can cause you to sound very exotic!

Speakers: As aforementioned Dutch is not spoken in many places. 17 million claim it to be their mother tongue and another 4 million claim to use it as their second language.

Countries: Netherland, Belgium, small communities in Carribean, Germany, France and Indonesia.

Regional Variations: Dutch speakers are concentrated in one part of Europe so regional variation is limited. However Flemish speakers (Dutch speakers in Belgium) are said to have a less gutteral accent and use more French loanwords than their cousins in the Netherlands.

Travel: Dutch will help you if you ever travel to the netherlands, although most people (especially the younger generation) can speak good english.

Culture: Everyone knows about Dutch cuture with it's love of flowers and canals, and it's liberal attitude to what are vices almot everywhere else!

Phonemes: English speakers shouldn't have to many pronunciation problems. The "g" is rolled in the throat so it sounds like you're trying to cough up phlegm. The "r" is also rolled by the tongue and "ch" is pronounced like "loCH" (in scottish accent).

Syntax: Word order can be different to english although SVO patterns are the norm. Very similar to German in many ways. Seperable verbs are commonplace. However conjugation is easy as there is little variation and few tenses to learn.

Vocabulary: Speaking another Germanic language helps GREATLY. English speakers will see many cognates on paper, but will probably not recognise in speech.

Overall Difficulty: Not too hard. I would say **/*** for a native english speaker.

Time Needed: To be able to hold a decent conversation or read a newspaper article with an hour's study per day: 2/3 Months.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bart
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6946 days ago

155 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese, Swedish

Message 2 of 40
20 September 2005 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:
Usefulness: Dutch is not a major world language. It is spoken in the Netherlands and Wallonia (the northern half of Belgium). Although the Dutch once commanded a mighty empire in south-east Asia (namely Indonesia), the use of the language there has greatly declined. Also nearly every Dutch person can speak impeccable english!

Only mistake I found in the profile was here.
Wallonia is the French speaking southern half of Belgium. Flanders is the northern and Dutch speaking half.
Other than that it looks really nice, although the difference between "Flemish" and Dutch is not really explained all that clearly. (I can't really explain it myself but I'll try to get one of the Dutch visitors to upload a sound file and try to get one up myself, with my Flemish accent)

Edited by Bart on 20 September 2005 at 8:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

sapedro
Triglot
Portugal
descredito.blogspot.
Joined 6904 days ago

216 posts - 219 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Greek

Message 3 of 40
21 September 2005 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Dutch is getting a little popular in Portugal...probably because many young people are going there for living...

tuffy
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6820 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 4 of 40
24 September 2005 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Looks OK to me!

Just a few notes on the language though:

1. Dutch is also the main language in Suriname.

2. The dialects:
In Holland we have 1 minority language called "Fries".
It is spoken in the province Friesland.
(I can't really understand that myself :-)
And we have 2 recognised dialects: "Limburgs" (Limburg) and "Nedersaksisch" (northern and eastern parts of Holland). Nedersaksisch has a few variations, one of them is "Gronings" (my dialect). (There are also parts of Germany where Nedersaksisch is spoken.)

Everybody knows Dutch and the majority speaks Dutch. But in some parts people use their dialect or minority language (Fries) for daily communication. But if you're a foreigner they'll switch to normal Dutch or English :-)

3. "African" which is spoken in South-Africa and Namibia originates from Dutch. Since the 17th century it has evolved on it's own. It's simular to Dutch in the degree that in principle Dutch people can read African and Africans can read Dutch.

I hope this helps.

Tuffy

Edited by tuffy on 25 September 2005 at 8:18am

JLanguage
United States
Joined 6933 days ago

31 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 5 of 40
27 September 2005 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
tuffy wrote:
Looks OK to me!
3. "African" which is spoken in South-Africa and Namibia originates from Dutch. Since the 17th century it has evolved on it's own. It's simular to Dutch in the degree that in principle Dutch people can read African and Africans can read Dutch.

I believe the name for that language in English is "Afrikaans", not "African". Have you tried reading Afrikaans before? have you ever spoken to Afrikaans-speakers? If so, you could include a note on that in terms of transparency and mutual intelligibility.

Bart
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 6946 days ago

155 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, French, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese, Swedish

Message 6 of 40
28 September 2005 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
a native speaker of Dutch can read and understand Afrikaans perfectly, but I don't think that's the case the other way around.

I've never talked to someone who speaks Afrikaans, but I have heard it spoken and to me it sounds like Dutch baby-talk but with some kinda rude 'sailor-words'.

In other words: Afrikaans is intelligible to Dutch speakers, but Dutch is not to speakers of Afrikaans.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7024 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 7 of 40
28 September 2005 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
administrator wrote:

Syntax: Word order can be different to english...

I usually don't point out these things, but it should be from English if we're talking about the language.

tuffy
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6820 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 40
28 September 2005 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
I have read it once and could understand it quite well. I don't know if it works the other way around. For that info I relied on a language webpage where they wrote this was the case.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version