Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 21 22 Next >>
tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 73 of 172
28 January 2009 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I started answering the questions to the FSI text, and did the first 10, which I then posted on lang-8. I've come to the phrases I added to Anki now. I'm a bit curious about how that will work out, if I will actually remember them or not.
I've been working some with Assimil 29 as well, but not much due to lack of time.

RUSSIAN

Quite a lot of reading and looking up words and one news podcast.

FRENCH

Yesterday I listened to 1,5 hours of "Le Rouge et le Noir", only to discover after I had done this and completed my "daily French" that my French classes have started so I have a shitload of work to do. I am now a full time French C-level student. Not all the stuff is for straight away, but I always panick and do everything that the teachers post, and then another time, and perhaps a third time, just to make sure. Gneh. So I've been listening to ~2 hours of audio lectures (the literature teacher speaks really sloooowly, but that is actually a good thing since even though the lectures themselves take longer, I don't have to pause after every *clause* to write it down), read in my French society book and taken notes and rewritten said notes, started to read La Tempête for the literature class, generally panicking over all the future assignments, etc. And written a rather positive lang-8 post. That was before I took the time to look at the other class (French society class), which includes an online exposé on webcam. [insert nervous laughter of doom]

NORWEGIAN

Done nothing that I cam remember, but while looking for book alternatives for someone else I found this site, http://www.boknytt.com/norge.htm, and now I think I will buy all of those books for myself. You know, since I have so much free time now to read on. Yep.

1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 74 of 172
29 January 2009 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
I am now a full time French C-level student.

Are you classes during the day, or are you attending an evening course ?

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 75 of 172
29 January 2009 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
   Are you classes during the day, or are you attending an evening course ?

They are distance classes, so I do all the studying at home.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 76 of 172
29 January 2009 at 3:10pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I finished Assimil 29 without really noticing it, so I'm working on 30 now.

RUSSIAN

I listened to perhaps 1 hour of podcasts. Another one of the "A taste of Russian" ones, and this one (about going to a bar) was even more perfect for my level than the last one since I was able to understand 100% when the guy explained the text in Russian.
For article day I read 75% of this article. Will read the rest tomorrow.

FRENCH

Tried to listen to Utopod, but I couldn't stand the story this time, so I gave up. Read some in "Une tempête" though.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 77 of 172
30 January 2009 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:

They are distance classes, so I do all the studying at home.

Wow. That's incredible. You're putting a huge amount into your language learning. Do you get to do any study during the day ?

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 78 of 172
30 January 2009 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:

Wow. That's incredible. You're putting a huge amount into your language learning. Do you get to do any study during the day ?

Oh, sure! I don't work anymore, so I am a full time student, only I never leave the apartment. The only tricky thing is to get up in the morning and stay awake :)

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 79 of 172
31 January 2009 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Several hours of listening to Hungarian radio. I finally found a stream that worked, and that contains only news. They seem to be talking a LOT about money though. It's funny that I practically always understand one word per sentence.
Did Assimil 30.
182 words in Anki.

RUSSIAN

I finished that historical article and its wordlist (which made it take a bit more time), and a lot of the words added to Anki.
I also finished a monster post for lang-8, and then spent quite a lot of time replying to the comments I got on it. The corrections weren't as bad as I had feared, seen the lenght of the thing!
I also listened to perhaps half of a "A taste of Russian" podcast, and some Deutche Welle news. I don't understand much at all of the Deutche Welle though, cause it's about central Asia and I have no clue about the people and stuff they are talking about most of the time. That is, I haven't heard about it from somewhere else. News from Uzbekistan and the like.
1097 words in Anki.

FRENCH

I've read 75% of "Une tempête" and will write a lang-8 post about the book soon. There are lots of fancy soutenu words in it, several per page even (and it's a play! the mix of familiar and soutenu is quite fun, although I guess the familiar words Césaire used aren't really en vouge nowadays), something I'm not used to. But then I now kind of look for words I don't know, or ask myself "do I really know the definition of this word?" when I come across one that's a bit unfamiliar. I will give some examples later, when I make a wordlist out of them.
Also some other course work.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 80 of 172
02 February 2009 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I've done Assimil 31. It's a poem, that's nice :)

RUSSIAN

I read a couple of pages, and another news article and added the words from the article. Also listened to 1,5 more "A taste of Russian" podcasts.

FRENCH

Listened to perhaps 30 minutes of Le Rouge et le Noir and wrote a text for French class.
I wrote a lang-8 post as well.

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version