Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 21 22 Next >>
tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6458 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 105 of 172
08 June 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I have finished Assimil 46 and tomorrow I will start with 47. I was away (and drunk then hungover) during the weekend so I didn't do… much at all ;)

RUSSIAN

I wrote a lang-8 post about my weekend. It turned out rather long, as usual :P

Other than that, I have mostly been cleaning the apartment (even if we aren't here during the weekend it is still a mess on Monday…) and reading for my history class which started today.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6458 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 106 of 172
10 June 2009 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I've done Assimil 47 and 48. I got a bit… thrown out of my rythm again by a slight removal of two wisdom teeth today, so I have mostly been staring at the TV waiting for the painkillers to kick in.

I have, ever so slightly, tried LR:ing Hungarian. I've done the same first 10 minutes of Jane Eyre like 3 times for each Eng and Hun so far. It is hard, I read too slowly.

Anki card count: 1353

RUSSIAN

I've tried to listen to audiobooks again, but I seem unable to concentrate right now :/

Anki card count: 2948

Edited by tricoteuse on 10 June 2009 at 7:48pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6458 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 107 of 172
12 June 2009 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I've done Assimil 49, the review lesson. I mostly just read those through and add some stuff to Anki.
Yesterday I was completely in the hands of the monster called NAUSEA and I slept perhaps 80% of the day, so I didn't really get a whole lot done then. I did write an email in Hungarian, and it was kind of fun. Kind of impossible as well, as I can't really form my own sentences, I can only write those that I already know and change some elements in them. I tried to put some new ones together and I'll see if they were comprehensible when I get a reply.

I've started with Assimil 50 today, and also the dreadful Active Wave. It does scare me, it really does. I managed to translate lesson 1 without problems though, but my confidence for the rest is at -15. And as I was dabbling with lesson 50, I decided to go have a look in my grammar book to try to get a bit better at some conjugations. I decided to make a... fiche (English?) for the past tense and put on the wall. Now that my French classes are over I can finally take down all my literature theory fiches, and I have loads of more space. Yay!

RUSSIAN

Just some minor letter writing, nothing big. And a bit of chatting! The Russian channel I always hang out on on IRC finally came to life. I also got blatantly insulted at LiveJournal for my Russian, but that's LiveJournal for you. I shouldn't have commented on someone who was thrashing another person's Russian, that was just asking to be put down myself :P Oh well, it was rather amusing.

FRENCH

Today I am writing a letter to an old classmate! I am going to write a French blog post soon as well, I've gotten stuck in an English routine now it seems.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6458 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 108 of 172
13 June 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
I thought it was about time to make a sort of half way evaluation (a bit late), so here goes.

HUNGARIAN

Well hello there, I'm not very advanced here yet :D I'm at lesson 51 in Assimil and that should have been done a bit quicker than in 6+ months! I have had some rather large gaps in my Hungarian studies though, mostly due to being way too ambitious with my French essays.
What can I do? I can write simple messages and read very simplified texts. My vocab should be somewhere around 700-800 words, not really sure.

RUSSIAN

My goal here was to read without effort and to be able to communicate freely online. I have been reading quite a bit and I feel quite comfortable communicating online. I can chat with several Russians at the same time on various topics and make myself understood and read rather comfortably. I will just continue in the same spirit and hope for the best! I will try to write as many emails as possible, a lot of lang-8 posts, etc. And READ.

FRENCH

I had no goals here so it doesn't matter :D

NORWEGIAN

One post a week? Ouch, that did so not happen. I'm starting now though?

PLANS FROM NOW ON

I've been thinking about working with the book "Developing writing skills in French". Now, I know that writing isn't really my weak point when it comes to French, but anyway. Perfection, perfection. However, looking at the beginning of that book, it looks very basic... :/

Really, get back to Norwegian and actually start reading one of the books I bought. I think it's in nynorsk though, which is kind of… eh… pointless, since it's bokmål that I can pretend to know. But logically, among my [something] hundreds of books I surely have some books in bokmål as well.

Work HARD with Hungarian and finish Assimil, for real. I'm doing well right now, and I will just push on and hope it works. I may concentrate exclusively on it for a while just in order to finish the course, so that I can move on to the Easy Reader and LR:ing. I'm afraid I'll never finish an Assimil course unless I really concentrate on it :P
+ Write more emails and more on lang-8!

Daily plan for the summer? (Except for the days when I will be working full time)
1 Assimil a day (possibly 1 in 2 days, since there is repetition of past lessons at the same time and active wave)
10 pages of Norwegian a day
Something written in Russian every day (a good portion of chatting, an email, a lang-8 post, anything)

Could that work? I will try it for a week before re-evaluating. I will have to see what I will do with the French and Russian grammar books I am working with/will be working with, how much time it takes, etc.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6458 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 109 of 172
14 June 2009 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I've been looking a bit at different verb conjugations and particularities of the language, and finished Assimil 50 & 51 and half 52, AW (Active waved) lesson 3 and repeated lesson 26 (which I knew horribly bad, it's all about imperative and those are blurry in my head).
I also made a small blog post on Hungarian.   

RUSSIAN

Hmm… ah yes, I read an article! Will do more stuff tomorrow -_- Some reading, sans doute. I lost tons of time today to the instrument of torture called the EPILATOR.
I also dreamt I was in Russia again and had lost all my booking stuff for my trip home. It was raining all the time and I was running around with a laptop, stressed like never before and speaking baaad English with someone. Then Julia and Aleksey fixed everything and I was all set to go home again when I woke up.

FRENCH

I wrote a blog post about how I don't feel any passion for this language.

NORWEGIAN

Harr! I wrote a letter to the Norwegian girl, read at least 10 pages in my Norwegian book while having a bath and wrote a lang-8 post about said book.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6458 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 110 of 172
16 June 2009 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

As for Assimil, I have done 52 and 53 and reviewed 27, 28 and AW 4,5, and done another fiche for the imperative. Oh, and written a small email.

RUSSIAN

I've listened to two news podcasts, and the rest is for the other log.

NORWEGIAN

My book turned out to be really good, so I'm at page 84 now :D

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5931 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 111 of 172
18 June 2009 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:

HUNGARIAN
     As for Assimil, I have done 52 and 53 and reviewed 27, 28 and AW 4,5, and done another fiche for the imperative. Oh, and written a small email.

Congratulations on flying through Assimil. You've sailed right past me now. I slowed down approaching the active wave, but you've done extremely well and tackled it head on.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6458 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 112 of 172
18 June 2009 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:

Congratulations on flying through Assimil. You've sailed right past me now. I slowed down approaching the active wave, but you've done extremely well and tackled it head on.

Thanks! I really feel like I know nothing so far though :S

HUNGARIAN

Yesterday I decided to not start a new Assimil lesson and tried to work on verb conjugations instead. They are all way too alike so I keep mixing everything up, and the more I look at these things, the more I feel like it will take forever to learn it all :P I've done Assimil 6/30/54 now as well.

RUSSIAN

Just reading and listening here (Wuthering Heights and Anna Karenina, and a grammar article), and some minor chatting. I've spent quiiite a lot of time looking up words as well.
I think I need to try to focus some on pronunciation for a while…

Oh, and there'll be a Russian Book Club for july, so join it!

NORWEGIAN

I've read half of the book, it's really a pleasant read, and I wrote another lang-8 post.

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version