Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 21 22 Next >>
DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 145 of 172
14 September 2009 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Glad to hear your back on track, and even taking Russian classes. :-) Very impressive.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 146 of 172
17 September 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, DaraghM!

As usual, I have spent most my time doing university related things, but I have managed to write another post on lang-8. I had forgotten how much I enjoy writing :-) I now have so many lang-8 friends that I get several corrections within no time at all, which is absolutely great. ExtraLean pointed out that it's about time for a post in Hungarian, and I fully agree, so perhaps... tomorrow?

On my way to work today I listened to a Russian podcast, The Big Podcast. It was a bit silly, but that they and it did actually almost make me laugh on the Metro, and that's an achievement, so I think I will download more episodes. I feel rather confident about my listening skills now, what is holding me back now is lack of vocabulary when I don't understand something, rather than inability to recognize words I do actually know. This is the podcast by the way.

I should also mention that every Wednesday I watch a Russian movie with people from my university. This week, we watched "Prisoner of the Mountains", which I had already seen once. The movies gives a little bit of extra exposure which is good, but we watch all the movies with English subtitles.

As for Hungarian, I have actually done something! This is the text I worked with. It contained a lot of new words but it was an interesting text, and I think that my favorite fruit description was rather adequate (I chose pineapple).
2 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 147 of 172
20 September 2009 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
I listened to another one of those podcasts and it really annoyed me. The guy constantly has to say things in English, scream and so on. I don't understand why it should be so hard to find a decent podcast in Russian!

Other than that when it comes to Russian I haven't done much. I recorded an audio letter and yet again felt guilty about never speaking Russian.

For Hungarian I did finally write a lang-8 post. It was incredibly hard and convinced me I must stop ignoring Hungarian, so I'm writing another one today.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6362 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 148 of 172
21 September 2009 at 2:50am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
I don't understand why it should be so hard to find a decent podcast in Russian!

Привет Трико,

Ты уже обнаружила rpod.ru? На этом сайте есть тысячи подкастов! Без сомнения ты найдешь там что-то интересное (и с яасными голосами).

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5868 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 149 of 172
25 September 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Hey tricoteuse, looking forward to read more about your Hungarian, Russian (and next possible language) adventures!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 150 of 172
26 September 2009 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Leo, it's always nice to hear from you!

magister wrote:
tricoteuse wrote:
I don't understand why it should be so hard to find a decent podcast in Russian!

Привет Трико,

Ты уже обнаружила rpod.ru? На этом сайте есть тысячи подкастов! Без сомнения ты найдешь там что-то интересное (и с яасными голосами).

magister among it was on that site that I found "The Big Podcast", but I decided to try another one and I did actually find a podcast that I like: Школа Жизни. It's instructive and every episode is rather short, and the readers have very pleasant voices. I have listened to perhaps five podcast so far and I do actually enjoy them. I don't enjoy listening to complete nonsense so I find this rather suitable.

Besides from working on my essays, I *have* finished a French book. I wrote more about this on my blog though, so I won't repeat it all here.

As for Hungarian, I have written a new lang-8 post, but I haven't published it yet. I think it needs some more work first.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 151 of 172
28 September 2009 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
I am getting quite good at doing Hungarian! I'm not very good at Hungarian, but that's another problem. Yesterday, I wrote another lang-8 post and I printed a chapter from a Hungarian language book that was earlier too difficult for me. The book is Lépésenként Magyarul and I think I worked with the second chapter (I got the chapters scanned, it's some all-Hungarian book they apparently use in Hungary). It was really fun working with since it was exactly my level and I could understand all of the instructions, at least so far...

I also forgot to previously write down that I worked with some more Assimil! I have no idea where I was before but now I'm at chapter 59. I don't work with the chapters as I used to do since I cannot write or type, I mostly just read them out loud and try to listen to them.
Other than that I have also been reading in my grammar book, and dreaming of another one.
Word Count for Anki is now 2027 for Hungarian.

For Russian I have done most reading so that's in the other log. Word Count for Anki is now 3176. Oh, and I've been listening to podcasts! I listen to five of them yesterday and all were easy to understand except one, so I'm rather content.

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5868 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 152 of 172
28 September 2009 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
Congratulations for your achievements!

tricoteuse wrote:
Word Count for Anki is now 2027 for Hungarian.
Word Count for Anki is now 3176.

Wow. How many daily card reviews does c. 5000 words mean? And how many new cards do you add on average daily/weekly? I am stuck at... 19 words on Anki! :-D

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version