Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22 Next >>
tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 161 of 172
17 October 2009 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
I should have updated quite some time ago but somehow I never found the time. I've kind of stopped writing down the things I do so I don't really remember either :-) however, I can note down some stuff that I did this week.

Russian: on Monday I met with Sasha and had a very hard time speaking. I hadn't done any Russian during the weekend and that probably explained it. Since I didn't go to my Russian class on Friday the week before, Sasha and I went through that material (reading texts while focusing on pronunciation as well as covering some minor conversation topics). This Friday I did go to my class and it was a good move since we were only three students together with the teacher and one of the girls was Polish so she could actually speak some Russian and had great pronunciation (Slavic even if it wasn't necessarily 100% Russian). We spoke about our families and I found it to be generally useful. The teacher was very pleased with us!

Today I am working with my course book, adding conjugations and words to Anki (even if I actually know the words I do not necessarily connect them to the Norwegian translations provided in our book, something I really must do since those will be the words that will appear on the final exam) and doing the translations. Usually I just say them out loud but now they have come to a point where I actually make some mistakes so I figured it was about time I started writing them down :P

On Wednesday I watched Иван Васильевич меняет профессию again. And I've also watched Броненосец «Потёмкин»!

Hungarian: on Thursday I met Anna and yes, she is Hungarian! She is not a language enthusiasts and she goes back to Budapest after this term but it is still a great. At first it was a bit difficult since she had never spoken to a foreigner in Hungarian before and therefore was not used to slowing down. She got the hang of it though (and was much better at it than I am at speaking Swedish or Norwegian slowly) and I understood a great deal of what she said. I am really quite pleased with my Hungarian vocabulary and I don't feel as inadequate as I always did with Russian until I discovered Anki. I am going to meet her twice a week as well! The way she speaks Hungarian makes it sound even more awesome than usual, which is also very motivating. She has a very soft voice and together with all the vowel harmony and the consistent stress it makes for a continuing flow of matching sounds that is just plain RAWR.

Today at work I worked with my Hungarian exercises and I managed to go through eight pages all the while remaining equally pleased with the book. The second chapter deals with imperative, something I am very grateful for since I can never remember what the forms are. Verbs are actually easier in Russian... (even though there are aspects)

Edited by tricoteuse on 17 October 2009 at 5:23pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 162 of 172
18 October 2009 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday I spent perhaps 50 minutes speaking with a Latvian guy on Skype, mostly in Russian but also a bit in Swedish. I'm very pleased at how much speaking practice I am getting these days!

Today I continued working a little bit with my Hungarian exercises, perhaps two pages. I was quite busy doing other things though, like losing time. I have also taken up writing small messages on InterPals and now I am actually able to do it in Hungarian without spending an eternity looking up things.

As soon as I finish reading my English book I'm going to continue reading in Norwegian.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 163 of 172
22 October 2009 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
Well, I am starting to feel quite lonely here. The people that are important to me disappear one by one. First one of my favorites was banned (Leopejo), something I am very annoyed about, even though he is occasionally very annoying, writing here will be more boring without him since he is one of the few people who bothers to say something. And then dear old ExtraLean went and closed his log, making things even more pointless since this blog was one I could always use for motivation. :-(

And now for this week's progress. Or for the progress of the last couple of days. I met with Sasha on Tuesday and we had a very nice meeting , speaking Russian for two hours with much more ease than last time. After that, she came along to my Russian history lecture. We are meeting on Sunday as well, at my place!

I did not have a Hungarian meeting this week since we couldn't find time that suited us , so we will have a double meeting on Mondays instead from now on.
I wrote a lang-8 post in Hungarian and it felt unusually easy to do so, which is rather great. I don't think I have done much Hungarian though , mostly just writing small things here and there and listening to some radio.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5709 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 164 of 172
22 October 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
So this means I should stop lurking and post something here. I like reading your logs, they're interesting. This log alone has over 22000 views, so Leopejo and ExtraLean aren't the only ones reading it.

Edited by mick33 on 22 October 2009 at 11:45pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 165 of 172
27 October 2009 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Thanks mick33! :)

After all, I decided to move my logs. I will continue them (both) here.

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6388 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 166 of 172
27 October 2009 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
For what it's worth, I always read your entries, and I keep up with only a couple of logs here.

If you think it's lonely here, you should see my log! :-)

Why was your friend banned?

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 167 of 172
27 October 2009 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
That's nice to hear magister :)

He was banned because he complained about two other people being banned. More or less all of us are part of a chat group that was first concentrated to the IRC channel #learnanylanguage that was established over a year ago, and then partly migrated to a Skype channel/chat room. We all talk to each other daily there and of course we get upset when one of us gets banned ;) Anyone is free to join the chat (it's language related plus off-topic with occasional voice chats), just send a PM!

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version