Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 21 22 Next >>
ldgc27
Diglot
United States
Joined 5706 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: German

Message 25 of 172
08 December 2008 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Chatzilla works great. You can also try http://mibbit.com/ if you don't want to install anything.
1 person has voted this message useful

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5861 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 26 of 172
09 December 2008 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Thanks guys for that. I am using Mozilla, so I may get it later (at school atm)

TEL

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5861 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 27 of 172
09 December 2008 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I am now on #lal lol.

TEL

Edited by TheElvenLord on 09 December 2008 at 1:41pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 28 of 172
09 December 2008 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Done Assimil 3 & 4 as well as Pimsleur 1 & 2. Pimsleur got A LOT less boring when I realized I could knit at the sime time as I listen to it :) (with some dashing to the pause button, but that is manageable)

Assimil is great so far, but I really don't feel like I'm learning all the words just by reading and listening and writing the stuff once. So tomorrow I'll start making a Anki deck for Hungarian as well. I will also copy out all the texts that I've done so far.

I've gotten into the habit of reading through the new day's Assimil lesson as I eat breakfast every morning, and I will do my best to continue with this.

Didn't learn many new words today from my flashcards, just reviewed the old ones and tried to learn 5 new ones. But they were all 15 letter words and I failed miserably.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 29 of 172
10 December 2008 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on flying through the Hungarian Assimil. How long is it taking for each lesson ? It takes me about three to four breakfast sessions, of 15 minutes each, to complete a lesson.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 30 of 172
10 December 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
Congratulations on flying through the Hungarian Assimil. How long is it taking for each lesson ? It takes me about three to four breakfast sessions, of 15 minutes each, to complete a lesson.

Thanks! I'm not really sure, I never ever tend to do only one thing at a time. Perhaps I work with it for 30 minutes or so. I try to listen to the audio on my way to work as well, at least once. When I used Assimil for Russian I progressed quite slowly, got bored, and stopped after lesson 16. I'm trying to not repeat that this time and do stuff quickly instead.
My breakfast session now are perhaps 5 minutes long and take place at 5.40 in the morning, so I only look through what I have time for before dashing out to catch the tram.

--

HUNGARIAN

Did the 5th Assimil and the 3rd Pimsleur. Both feel like they are getting easier and easier. I've decided to not put any Assimil words in Anki. I *really* don't know them all, but I'm going to trust the Assimil method and just relax about it ;)

Regarding the flashcards I have done (and think I know them) 37 altogether (= 45-50 words, quite a lot of cards have two or three words), and I will review them all tomorrow, and try to add perhaps 20 new ones. I won't be able to read much tomorrow at work, so I will do flashcards instead.

RUSSIAN

Skype session of perhaps 20 or 25 minutes. I really need more practice. Holding a conversation on a not too specific subject is quite doable though. My Russian Hero of course slows down his speech a bit, and when I then sometimes still don't understand it *is* often not a question of lacking vocabulary, but simply of never having heard that word being spoken, and thus not being used to it. So it takes a couple of seconds of "uuuuh..." before I have recognized the word. On the whole, it is going well though. I should probably get better at conjugating certain verbs though. Such as печь.
I'm amazingly poor at switching between languages though. I said the title of a book in French and then continued in French for half a sentence -_-

NORWEGIAN

I will write an email to a Norwegian girl tomorrow on lang-8. I've done more writing in Norwegian by communicating with her than by actually writing posts so far!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 31 of 172
14 December 2008 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
Wehell, back in business.

HUNGARIAN

Where am I at now? Not much Pimsleuring, I'm afraid. The knitting got to a critical point, and I feel less prone to do Pimsleur when I need to read knitting instructions at the same time. I've done half part 5 though.

Assimil: done the revision (chapter 7) and copied out all the texts so far, and done chapter 8.

Flashcards: Ehm... right. Tomorrow!

Leopejo sent me this link http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hungarian.php, and seeing that list was kind of like seeing a very beautiful woman. Very motivating, or something! I'm going to study that list for a while now.

RUSSIAN

The reading documented in the other log + a lang-8 post.

FRENCH
(well, why not?)

Listening to "Le parfum" as I knit, 2 hours perhaps.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6459 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 32 of 172
15 December 2008 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Done Assimil lesson 9 and repeated my flashcards from last week. Will bring a couple of new ones tomorrow as well. Tomorrow I will review the exercises from the Assimil chapters, since those are something I don't think I know very well -_-

I relistened to chapter 5 of Pimsleur. I *must* do chapter 6 tomorrow or I will definitely forget the new words.

FRENCH

Wrote a lang-8 post.

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version