Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 21 22 Next >>
tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 41 of 172
29 December 2008 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Did Pimsleur 16 and Assimil 16 yesterday, plus a couple of more flashcards. I'm really glad that Pimsleur teaches me the numbers, I hate those boring things, and in Hungarian there's no transparency so learning numbers is as hard as learning any other words, and then just a loss of time when there are BETTER words to learn. More words from the flashcards have reappeared in Assimil, but also I was a bit bleh:ed when I first had "ideges" (nervous) in Assimil, and then got a flashcard with "nervous" on it and went "yay! ideges!", turned it around and found "nyugtalan, izgatott (vmitől v. vkitől). I scurried over to this kind of awesome dictionary and realized that "anxious, agitated" were better translations for those words. Are my flashcards BAD? :'(

And, is there a kind Hungarian soul (or merely a Hungarian savvy one) out there who sees this and would like to explain the (vmitől v. vkitől) to me?

RUSSIAN

Finished translating the article! 2,5 pages in all. Also did my reading. I've got the book Говорите и пишите по-русски правильно that I'm going to give a try. Perhaps a bit over my head but I'm not sure yet.

FRENCH

Finished Le Parfum, 8 hours of listening in total. Next up is Le Rouge et le Noir. Really looking forward to it, but I'm not sure when I will be starting it :) I've also decided that start reading the magazines I've got in Oslo, Le Magazine Littéraire and l'Histoire, one years worth of both. I was really into them when I lived in France but never had the time to read them, then when I came home I never did it either! Luckily it's timeless stuff, so I'll get to them now. I'm hoping to acquire some new vocabulary or something. One reading session a week, on... hmm... Friday mornings!
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 42 of 172
31 December 2008 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
Well, things have been somewhat slow the latest days -_-

HUNGARIAN

Assimil 17 and Pimsleur 17. I've spent quite a lot time on this Assimil, there was a massive amount of notes and quite a lot of new words. I will listen to it some more though, and listen to 16 again cause it feels like I've already forgotten that one :P Pimsleur went kind of crap when I did nothing for 2 days and then started with 16 without even noticing I had done it before. I plan on doing another Pimsleur today, in order to hopefully get some more repetition of the concepts in 16&17.

I also made an effort to learn the verb conjugations a tiny bit.

RUSSIAN

I have decided to stop adding new words to Anki for a while and just repeat the old ones. I'm getting too many reps.

NORWEGIAN

Wrote an email and a lang-8 post. Screwed up more than usual, but that's what happens when I don't use it for a while :P Now a note on inter-Scandinavianism. I watched the second Arn movie, and there were at least two Swedish Danes in it. At first I was a bit hesitant when the Danish commander/jarl/whatever and his men appeared and spoke PERFECT Swedish. In Swedish movies, people do usually speak the languages they are supposed to speak. The Arabs in the movie speak Arabic, the Englishmen English, the Norwegian Norwegian (which was quite cute cause he even translated one word into Swedish once to make sure the Swedish Arn would understand it). And the Danes speak Swedish perfectly (except for one guy, but I couldn't even tell his accent was Danish, I just thought he sounded somewhat odd and that it was perhaps an obscure Swedish dialect). But then all of a sudden they speak among themselves in perfect Danish as well and subtitles pop up. Aaah, relief!
The movie is a 12th century historical/romantic story by the way. And I really have no idea what the linguistic situation was like back then. I have a book on it, but have I read it? Ehm, no. This was, however, before Sweden was actually Sweden. Denmark and Norway were already formed though? Well the Danes in the movie are the bad guys, the evil strong danes! They are sneaky and quite strikingly handsome.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 43 of 172
03 January 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Just reviewed Assimil 17 and redid Pimsleur 17 and then 18. Finally the phrases from 17 stuck, they seemed impossible the first time around :P I started on Assimil 18. It's a long one. I've practised typing with the Hungarian keyboard by typing the whole lesson (that takes longer than one may think :P). It's good practise, since it forces me to pay attention to the accents and then try to remember which key was which, over and over. Cause I never remember.

RUSSIAN

Wrote an almost longish lang-8 post.

FRENCH

Wrote a lang-8 post that was completely misunderstood. :P

Edited by tricoteuse on 03 January 2009 at 9:01pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 44 of 172
04 January 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Except for sleeping until noon every day, I feel like I'm back in my working routine. I did Pimsleur 19 today and finished Assimil 18. I have written these words so many times now, yet I can't EVER remember the verbs közeledik, találkozik, érkezik and indul. What is it with me and verbs?

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 45 of 172
05 January 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Reviewed those flashcards (and had forgotten a whole bunch), 121 altogether. I also started on Assimil 19, and with a new strategy. First I take all the new words (they are multiplying like crazy) and sort them into categories, and then try to learn them in groups of five. Then copy out the text carefully + listen listen + copy out again + do the exercises.

Pimsleur 20 done. My absolutely biggest problem is question intonation for questions without question words.

RUSSIAN

Listened to a 15 or so minutes news broadcast. I will relisten to it tomorrow during my morning walk. I noticed that some more words were familiar, yay.

ExtraLean
Triglot
France
languagelearners.myf
Joined 5776 days ago

897 posts - 880 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 46 of 172
05 January 2009 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
You crazy swede, Keep up the good work.

Thom,
(Supportive Spamming Spree Succeeded.)

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6460 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 47 of 172
06 January 2009 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Thank you, ExtraLean!

HUNGARIAN

Pimsleur 20 and Assimil 19. Assimil is getting tough! I manage to map the words and all, but there are just so many new words per lesson and the recordings are very fast, and well... why do you need to introduce so many verbs for moving stuff at the same time? And so many postpositions? If I listen to the recording I still can't really follow it.

FRENCH

Wrote a short lang-8 post.

RUSSIAN

Wrote a lang-8 post + finally some more reading.

NORWEGIAN

And another lang-8 post.

--

I also started reading "Eats, shoots & leaves" ;)

magister
Pro Member
United States
Joined 6385 days ago

346 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Turkish, Irish
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 172
06 January 2009 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
HUNGARIAN

And, is there a kind Hungarian soul (or merely a Hungarian savvy one) out there who sees this and would like to explain the (vmitől v. vkitől) to me?

Hi trico,

(vmitől v. vkitől) is an abbreviation for valamitől vagy valakitől. Perhaps you know that valami means something, and valaki means someone. They are used in dictionaries to alert the learner which suffix an entry must govern.

In this case, the -től tells you that you will need to use the ablative. Similarly, vmit/vkit indicates the accusative must follow, vmire/vkire the sublative, and so on. For example: félni (vmitől v. vkitől) = to be afraid (of somebody or something)

(And I will freely admit...Félek a pókoktól!)

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version