Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 21 22 Next >>
DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 49 of 172
07 January 2009 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:

HUNGARIAN

Pimsleur 20 and Assimil 19. Assimil is getting tough! I manage to map the words and all, but there are just so many new words per lesson and the recordings are very fast, and well... why do you need to introduce so many verbs for moving stuff at the same time? And so many postpositions? If I listen to the recording I still can't really follow it.

I also found Assimil 19 extremely difficult, as commented in my log here. The later lessons get slightly easier, but I don't think I ever mastered this one. They blend too many cases, and it feels more like a logic puzzle than a dialogue. Congratulations on your progress. You're getting through the lessons a lot quicker than me, and a lot more thoroughly too.

Edited by DaraghM on 07 January 2009 at 4:10am

1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 50 of 172
08 January 2009 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
magister wrote:

(And I will freely admit...Félek a pókoktól!)

Thank you for the explanation! :) Én is félek a pókoktól!

DaraghM, thanks to you I was able to move on and leave that monster of a lesson behind ;) And you were very right, the following lesson was way easier! And which voice is your favourite? I think they are all somewhat odd. Now I kind of prefer the lady that sounds older and more... "baby:ish" since she speaks slower than the other. The other female sounds just... weird and kind of out of her breath, and the young guy speaks very fast.

HUNGARIAN

Hm. I did Pimsleur 21 the day before yesterday and 22 yesterday. I got them mixed up. I left Assimil 19 behind and did all except the final exercise for lesson 20. Also did perhaps 6 flashcards. I find it a bit stupid of Assimil to have like 5 dative personal pronouns and one accusative in the same lesson, without making this very clear. I was confused for a while until I went and got my Hungarian grammar book. I kind of tried to learn the dative and accusative, but only succeeded with the dative which are easier.

RUSSIAN

Some radio listening that I forgot to mention last time, reading.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 51 of 172
08 January 2009 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:

And which voice is your favourite? I think they are all somewhat odd. Now I kind of prefer the lady that sounds older and more... "baby:ish" since she speaks slower than the other. The other female sounds just... weird and kind of out of her breath, and the young guy speaks very fast.

I preferred the guy on the earlier tracks, but he does speak too quickly on some of the later ones. I'm not sure who is my favourite. One of the women seems to whisper, or murmur, her way through some tracks, while the other is quite clear. I think the clear woman wins.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 52 of 172
08 January 2009 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Pimsleur 23. That didn't go THAT well. I tried to graft the arm of a sweater while listening but soon realized that was somewhat beyond my ability, and the whole thing got a bit disrupted and I don't think I remember a single one of the new words :P
I did the third revision lesson of Assimil and looked some at the verb conjugations. Not sure I learnt anything, but wth. The more times I look...
I listened to Assimil 20 perhaps 7 times while walking to the grocery store.

RUSSIAN

Read a two page article on Hungarian language history and grammar. Lots of new words! Anki word count is at 911. My relationship to words has changed. Before it used to be "damn you, you are all new and way too long!" whereas now it is more like "oooh, new ones, how interesting!". Good good.
+ reading. + listening to that Japanese radio.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 53 of 172
09 January 2009 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Pimsleur 24. Gah, cars and directions. I prefer talking about my non-existent children and ordering wine for my wife than going "turn right", "fill it up", etc. -_- Finally got another easy going knitting project going, so I may start listening a bit more. I don't have that many Pimsleurs left though, only 6. Hm.

I've done the text of Assimil 22, learnt the words (I think), and I will do the rest of the unit later today. After my nap, before the wine.

A couple of more flashcards, now it's a total 134.

And hah! I know how to say "I'll slap you" in Hungarian. Excellent.

RUSSIAN

Just a short lang-8 post.
+ reading and trying to listen to some radio. It was 8 in the morning though so after a couple of minutes I started falling asleep.

FRENCH

Wrote a lang-8 post.

---

I've been reading more in "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" (which my boyfriend mistook for a feministic book when he saw the title on the cover...) and can't wait until it gets to the rules. I really want to know when I actually am supposed to use commas etc. in English :P Then I will learn how to use them correctly in Swedish.

Edited by tricoteuse on 09 January 2009 at 8:35am

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5868 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 54 of 172
09 January 2009 at 10:42am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
And hah! I know how to say "I'll slap you" in Hungarian. Excellent

Looking forward to it!

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 55 of 172
11 January 2009 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I listened to Pimsleur 25, and that went quite poorly. Assimil 23, on the other hand, was a delight! So easy. 24 looks quite long though. I've also been noting down some Hungarian words from Kato Lomb's "How I learn languages" that I read yesterday.
Thanks to dmg, I have a huge Hungarian easy reader (FSI) now that I have printed the first text from, and I will start working on that as soon as possible.

RUSSIAN

I've started reading Поговорите и пишите по-русски правильно, 1,5 pages (A4).
Listened to some radio.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6437 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 56 of 172
12 January 2009 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Pimsleur 25 and half of Assimil 24, plus some more flashcards. I'm hoping to get some more done tomorrow.

RUSSIAN

I discovered how awesome A taste of Russian is. And just by chance, their latest podcast (which I found through iTunes) was about bodybuilding and gym culture, that which I actually find interesting! Some of the earlier ones look quite boring, but I plan to listen to them anyway.

Now, I've continued to read my "good language manners" book, and it's quite funny. However, there is supposed to be something weird or funny about these phrases, but I don't really see what, so could someone please explain it to me?

"Салтыков-Щедрин изобразил тяжёлое положение крестьянства в лице лошади."
"Базаров - молодой человек с захудалым лицом."
"Катерина и Кулиниг - лучшие представители "тёмного царства."

Especially the third one. What is wrong with that one?

--

+ a lang-8 post.

Edited by tricoteuse on 12 January 2009 at 5:06pm

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version