Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC09 Russian & Hungarian (#lal) (+Nor.)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
172 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 21 22 Next >>
Akbaboy
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 5573 days ago

35 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Cantonese, Catalan, French
Studies: Mandarin, Spanish, Dutch

Message 65 of 172
19 January 2009 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Tricoteuse, jag brukar vilja använda svenska, bara så ni vet. Jag brukar vilja använda danska, alltför.
1 person has voted this message useful

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 66 of 172
21 January 2009 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Started on Assimil 27, which is a sort of review lesson.
Wrote a shaky lang-8 post.

NORWEGIAN

Read a couple of pages in "Typisk norskt", a very nice coffe table book that my boyfriend gave me a year ago, out loud. We also spoke Norwegian all last evening, and finished the day with going through the Norwegian cities and departments.

RUSSIAN

I didn't DO much except Anki, but I got two packages from Russia with gifts and I will write a lang-8 post about them today. :)

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 67 of 172
21 January 2009 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
Akbaboy: studerar du svenska?

HUNGARIAN

Finished Assimil 27. Next lesson is a normal revision lesson.
My first Hungarian lang-8 post went down quite well I think! I was afraid I would have turned the sentences completely upside down.
As for Hungarian flashcards, I'm mostly adding sentences or fragments of sentences now, to try to memorize some structures, since everything in Hungarian is a mix of this suffix there and that suffix there and this random word thrown into the middle of it all. Just learning the structures doesn't help me much, I don't even always remember having met them in Assimil. So, I'm attaching some very concrete example to the structure instead. I've got 129 words in Anki now.
Oh, I also wrote a short email to a Hungarian girl on lang-8 who contacted me. In Hungarian.

RUSSIAN

I finally read more than one page, and wrote that lang-8 post. I haven't posted it yet though since I haven't gotten the photos for the post over to my computer.
Tomorrow is article day!

NORWEGIAN

Today was supposed to be a Norwegian day, but that experiment was cut short by a nausea attack that had me glued to the bed for parts of the day.

I have been getting slightly more interested in general learning techniques as of lately, and in organizing stuff strategies. Interesting links are welcome.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 68 of 172
23 January 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

I finished typing out the Easy Reader text and translating it.

RUSSIAN

Listened to perhaps two news podcasts and finally finished that lang-8 post.
Read this text for article day, http://my.samara.ru/~samara/detailed/4292/. It was a bit tricky actually.

FRENCH

Reat two articles, but didn't find many unknown words.

NORWEGIAN

I joined the Norwegian channel on Freenode and have been at least chatting some in Norwegian.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5667 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 69 of 172
24 January 2009 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Tricoteuse and DaraghM,

I'm also studying Hungarian through Assimil. I've seen that you've also considered lesson 19 to be particularly difficult.

For me, this was a relief. After a first listening to it two days ago, I thought that I should be way too tired .

However, yesterday I've drawn a picture that helped me lot. I'll not give up and have decided to tame this lesson whatever it takes! :-))

The picture is in a new thread about Hungarian postpositions:

Hungarian postpositions.

Please, let me know what you think about it.

Flarioca (added to allow posting this here).

Edited by Flarioca on 24 January 2009 at 12:00pm

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 70 of 172
24 January 2009 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Flarioca: useful drawing! However, I have a bit more "take it as it comes" approach to this thing, so I will just take the postpositions as they appear and when I need them. They risk being very much confused otherwise ;)

EVALUATION SO FAR

I did kind of start early, so this is not my 1 month mark, but on request I will write a small evaluation of the thing so far. First of all, I'm not sure the TAC in itself is doing anything for me; I would work just as much without it (but not as much without the #lal). Keeping this log is very useful though, it makes me notice when I have not made a headline for FRENCH for a long time for example. It helps keep track of things, tout simplement.

Russian - slowed down once I quit work I think. At work reading was the easiest thing to do, whereas at home I can do many other things just as easily. There was supposed to be more Skypeing, but my dear Aleksey happened to move just as we made that decision and is without Internet for a week or so more.

Hungarian - very decent progress, but it feels like I must get more serious about it.

French - I have been maintaining it quite a bit I think, writing a fair amount of lang-8 posts.

Norwegian - the last of the bunch, but I feel very much at ease chatting in Norwegian now. And I love the Firefox Norwegian spell check that alerts me when I happen to swedify something.

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 

Message 71 of 172
25 January 2009 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
HUNGARIAN

Did the review lesson 28. Poorly.
Did lesson 29, which was rather easy, and did some cramming on the words.

RUSSIAN

Some reading in my book.
I also read this article and added the unknown words to Anki. I'm now at 1020 words for Russian.

FRENCH

I forgot to mention listening to an hour or so of "Le Rouge et le Noir". I found it quite hard to listen to, I tend to just zone out -_- This improved after the first 25 minutes or so though, but at the beginning there's a namedrop from hell and I'm really bad at keeping French surnames apart. Mme this and M that...

NORWEGIAN

Read some pages out loud for my boyfriend. Then he read out loud in Swedish. And of course he's better at it than me. Gneh.

Flarioca
Heptaglot
Brazil
Joined 5667 days ago

635 posts - 816 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Esperanto, French, EnglishC2, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Mandarin

Message 72 of 172
25 January 2009 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Tricoteuse, I'm glad that you've regarded it as an useful drawing.

In the beginning, my goal was to follow Assimil's flow. However, Hungarian just keep calling attention from my analytical side.

On the other hand, I would like to jump earlier to the active wave, as you do with both Russian and Hungarian, but I always postpone it. Maybe this Lang-8 site will help me to change this behaviour a little bit.

This discussion contains 172 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version