Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 9 of 27
26 November 2008 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
I very much agree that listing of hours is quite tedious to look at, and it just makes me marvel at how people actually manage to keep track of that stuff, it doesn't tell me anything about what they actually did ;) I like that feeling of "God I should work some as well" that I get when I read in someone's log that they read 25 pages in their book or listened to two hours of a German audiobook and made a list of 100 words.

I also find logs that are "interactive" are more interesting. If you write about something you just looked at and found extremely difficult, perhaps a native speaker passing by will try to help you along with some mnemonics or just by explaining it differently than that which you found in your grammar book.

Edited by tricoteuse on 26 November 2008 at 4:15pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5870 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 10 of 27
27 November 2008 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
tricoteuse wrote:
... , perhaps a native speaker passing by will try to help you along with some mnemonics or just by explaining it differently than that which you found in your grammar book.

I love it when native speakers ("passing by") come in to my log! That's part of the reason why I like keeping a log.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5936 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 11 of 27
27 November 2008 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
Having written a long TAC log, that varied significantly in quality, I'll add the following observations. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

- Don't get too caught up in timekeeping, but do keep a rough track. I was initially using my log, as the way to track time, and adding up the totals. Once I started using a spreadsheet, I should've stopped doing this. I kept going because I thought people would've assumed I'd pulled out of the TAC, when I didn't do regular updates.

- Feel free to edit your posts. I should've done this more, and added more detail to previous posts. I liked posting words I came across, observations on the various languages, or newly discovered learning techniques. I also like reading this in other logs.

- I also find it interesting to read when your study gets hampered, and what life events are thrown in your way. Remember this is for a year, and things will happen. Getting back on track can be difficult, and when you do, tell us how you did it. This maybe one of the most useful pieces of information to share.

- As mentioned by other, I think interactive logs make for better reading. I should've asked more questions, and invited more responses. I was often PM'ed, and I should've encouraged this in my log.

- Planning how much you'll get done in a year,and what methods to use, is very difficult, If you feel an approach isn't working, change it, and don't feel bad. I swung between a love\hate relationship with a number of courses over my log. In the words of the Prussian general, Moltke,

"No   battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

where your enemy can be a particular course, and not the language itself.

- One of my biggest frustations with my log, was the number of posts that were rushed, or I hadn't much to say. I shouldn't have posted, or edited a previous post. Also, posting when your very tired is not a good idea. I did this on too many occasions to remember, which led to those horrible, "just got to the start of .." type posts. Grrr. I really didn't like those.

Edited by DaraghM on 27 November 2008 at 6:21am

2 persons have voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6232 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 13 of 27
27 November 2008 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
There is a lot of truth in this, but you do learn a thing or two about language learning. People also shared useful links and helped each other out. You might remember sheetz and his log.

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5819 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 15 of 27
29 November 2008 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Is there some official thread where people state their intention to participate in the TAC, or do I just start a threat with "TAC:..." in font of it? :) It might be nice to participate this time .

tricoteuse
Pentaglot
Norway
littlang.blogspot.co
Joined 6463 days ago

745 posts - 845 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Norwegian, EnglishC1, Russian, French
Studies: Ukrainian, Bulgarian

Message 16 of 27
29 November 2008 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Sennin wrote:
Is there some official thread where people state their intention to participate in the TAC, or do I just start a threat with "TAC:..." in font of it? :) It might be nice to participate this time .

There is that TAC thread in the General forum, but I think you just have to start a log and that's it.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version