China
Joined 5863 days ago

669 posts - 1023 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Tagalog
Studies: Ancient Greek, Japanese

Message 9 of 12
28 November 2008 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
I honestly can't see this working for the simple reason that there is no immediate feedback, i.e., you can't talk back to the TV. Even if there was immediate feedback, (practically the same as full immersion), I think it would be very inefficient.

Regardless, I'll hope for the best, and to be proved wrong :) Good luck
1 person has voted this message useful

Keith
Diglot
JapanRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6590 days ago

526 posts - 536 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 12
29 November 2008 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I honestly can't see this working for the simple reason that there is no immediate feedback, i.e., you can't talk back to the TV. Even if there was immediate feedback, (practically the same as full immersion), I think it would be very inefficient.

So you believe that learning can only take place from immediate feedback? And you believe that languages have to be learned.

I do know a little Chinese already. For example, I know these words in Chinese: I, you, give. Then I hear this sentence in the drama, "I give you..." There is a fourth word and an action occurs. I associate the fourth word to the action that is being performed.

I believe this is how the learning part works. It will just snowball.

The beginning would be very slow, and to you it might seem inefficient. But by avoiding the creation of the habit of thinking, the efficiency is higher in the later stages.

Does this explanation help you to honestly see how this could work? Or is it still a matter of belief?

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5893 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 12
29 November 2008 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
Best of luck to you, but I have a few concerns:

It takes several years for children to learn to passively understand even the most basic things, and over 10 years to learn it anything like an adult. And it is years before they can actively produce sentences - with feedback.
Not having feedback as irrationale said, is a big drawback - but it does not stop you fully.

Personally, I think the time frame would be too long for me to even consider learning a language like this. I think that it's faster to learn by classes.

But, all the same, good luck to you, and I will be interested to see how this goes.

TEL

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5847 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 12 of 12
29 November 2008 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Keith wrote:
I will not look up words.
I will not memorize vocabulary.
I will try not to think about the language.
I will not speak until I can do so naturally.
I will not ask questions.
I will not take notes.

I particularly like the rules in bold. Not that I have any experience with Chinese, it's just what I think form a general language-learning perspective. I would remove the rest but this is based just on personal preferences.

I've been thinking lately, conscious effort is more an obstacle than it is aid. As long as you stay focused it's better to just let it flow...

In any case, good luck with Chinese :).

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version