Yishay
Diglot
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

27 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 9 of 16
09 December 2008 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Hey samosamnina, thanks for the insider's view.
Why did you learn Croatian? if you don't mind me asking.
1 person has voted this message useful

samosamnina
Diglot
United States
sadaznam.deviantart.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5610 days ago

11 posts - 11 votes
Speaks: English*, Croatian
Studies: Turkish

Message 10 of 16
09 December 2008 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Yishay wrote:
Hey samosamnina, thanks for the insider's view.
Why did you learn Croatian? if you don't mind me asking.

Nah, with a random language like this, that kind of question's always one of the first ones :P

And to answer...In short, I'm a tad obsessed with former Yugoslavia ;) Back in high school I did a project on E. Europe from 1989 - now, and I had like two Bosnian friends, so I did former Yugoslavia and became fascinated with the region. In July 05 I spent a month in Sarajevo and LOVED it, and came back to find that University of Washington's Slavic Dept. hired a lecturer to teach Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian full time, so I took two years under him... that went towards my major (E. European Lang/Lit/Cult), but it's a beautiful language that I am completely in love with now, so, it was time well invested :)

So now I hang around a lot of Yugos, there's a lot of Bosnians here, plus we have a good amount of Croatians if you know where to find 'em... it's fun. Some of my friends studying the language now have Croatian connections and have been back there, so I know the cool stuff you'll be seeing if Croatia works out! :D Do keep me updated.

Puno pozdrava od mene (many greetings from me)
~ Nina

Yishay
Diglot
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

27 posts - 27 votes

Message 11 of 16
09 December 2008 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, I'll let you know how things go.

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5806 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 12 of 16
13 December 2008 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
I also think BCS may be easier to grasp than Russian, seen from a Anglosaxon language point of view. However it still isn't easy. I just finished a semester's course at the Uni of Oslo, with the Teach Yourself Croatian book as course material. Well, I do understand a lot more than I used to, but still too little to be able to read newspaper articles well enough to my pleasing. If I were you, I'd get started quickly and maintain a high pace of learning, if it is your goal to be able to communicate fairly enough with people in Croatia.

I don't intend to put you off, you'll learn that even the exceptions in the language can be ruled :)

Yishay
Diglot
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

27 posts - 27 votes

Message 13 of 16
14 December 2008 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry Eduard, I don't think anything could put me off of going on this exchange. And I was told that starting to learn before you leave helps the immersion process a lot more.

The only problem is that I don't find out what country I am going to until January. The odds are just in favor of Croatia, so I shouldn't really start just yet. : l

Eduard
Decaglot
Norway
Joined 5806 days ago

166 posts - 170 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Dutch*, NorwegianC1, Swedish, Danish, English, German, ItalianB1, Spanish, Serbo-Croatian, French
Studies: Portuguese

Message 14 of 16
14 December 2008 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Well, if you will be going to Croatia in summer, you'll still have half a year for starting to learn the language, which is fair enough to get started properly. In case of using Teach Yourself Croatian (just mentioning it since it's the only course I have experience with), you could do that in let's say 3-4 months and then you could try more advanced stuff. Listen to podcasts as often as you can, even when doing the dishes or eating breakfast. Here is a link with Croatian podcasts from the state Croatian radio: http://rnz.hrt.hr

Yishay
Diglot
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

27 posts - 27 votes

Message 15 of 16
15 December 2008 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a ton for the resources.

I'll be sure to check out those podcasts!

Yishay
Diglot
United States
Joined 5735 days ago

27 posts - 27 votes

Message 16 of 16
01 January 2009 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Well, thanks a ton for all of your help, people.

As luck would have it, I just got accepted into Spain (which was my first choice) so I won't be learning Croatian This year.

Thanks a bunch though, really

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version