35 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
learninglover
United States
Joined 6444 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Studies: English

Message 1 of 35
07 December 2008 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone know of any learning materials that teach the french spoken in Quebec?

I'm not asking for a debate on the differences in french dialects. I just want to know if any material is available for purchase. Thank you in advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

dmg
Diglot
Canada
dgryski.blogspot.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6771 days ago

555 posts - 605 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Dutch, Esperanto

Message 2 of 35
07 December 2008 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Well, it depends on what kind of information you're looking for. If you already speak French and only need something to teach you the accent and vocab differences, that different from wanted to start from scratch speaking Quebecois.

There is KitQC2, a software program that purports to teach the Quebec French accent.

In terms of vocabulary, there are a few travel guides (such as the Ulysses "Canadian French for Better Travel" and Assimil's "Quebecois de Poche") that teach idioms and vocabulary particular to La Belle Province. On a more academic level, there are a number of dictionaries that have been compiled of the above topics, but in a slightly more rigorous manner. There are some websites too: JoualVert, for example.

For accents, the same thing holds. For the phonetics, there's nothing really available at the "popular" level (other than the aforementioned KitQC2 software.) Everything is really geared towards phonetics or French language researchers at the university level. One book I've found (slightly academic, but probably still accessible to the average learning) is called "Le Français au Québec" by Hélène Poulin Mignault, and has the advantage that it comes with audio tapes.

However, if you're just starting out, this is all way overkill. Just learn the French spoken in Europe (which is pretty much what all the courses do), and you'll be fine. The differences really only show up at the more advanced levels.

COF
United States
Joined 5591 days ago

262 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 35
08 December 2008 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
There isn't really any courses available in English which start out from scratch in Quebec French, not European French. I mean, while they are of course the same language, I feel the difference between the two varities is greater than that of British English and American English, and European Portuguese and Brazilian Portugueese - of which you can buy many separate courses for. It strikes me as odd how Quebec French has been merely neglected as a bastardised curruption of European French, while pretty much all the other major languges which have distinct regional varities have separate courses available. Hell, you can even buy a separate courses in "Dari", which is basically the dialect of Persian spoken in Afghanistan.

However, moaning and bitterness aside, you've simply got to work with what you've got available. Basically, the only courses available, at least in English, teach you European French, the only Quebec French material that is available is what I'd describe as Quebec French "conversion" courses, which are mainly written in French, so you're standard would have to be pretty good before tackling one. Basically, they introduce you to different vocabulary in Quebec French, slang and idioms and generally try to modify your accent.

But in short, as a learner, you're best off not worrying about dialects and sticking with European French, because as someone else pointed out, at this level Quebec French isn't very different to European French.

To be honest, to the beginner, French will sound pretty indistinguishable as far as accent goes no matter where in the world you hear it - it'll simply sound like a person speaking French. It isn't until you get to a good level of competancy that difference in grammar, word choice and accent become more pronounced - generally in more complex texts.

Edited by COF on 08 December 2008 at 2:39am

chelovek
Diglot
United States
Joined 5847 days ago

413 posts - 461 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 35
08 December 2008 at 4:24am | IP Logged 
^That's probably because a lot of people find the Quebec accent to be a laugh-riot.

Edited by chelovek on 08 December 2008 at 4:25am

TheBiscuit
Tetraglot
Mexico
Joined 5683 days ago

532 posts - 619 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Italian
Studies: German, Croatian

Message 5 of 35
08 December 2008 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
I found some great material in a bookshop in Quebec City when I was there. There were a lot of books on the slang and so forth and some actual courses.

You can't go far wrong with learning European French, although I do remember watching a film in France, in Quebec French, that had subtitles in France French! It might be worth asking a native French speaker how easy or not it is to understand Quebec French.

learninglover
United States
Joined 6444 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Studies: English

Message 6 of 35
08 December 2008 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the great answers! I will continue on with the France french and work out the differences when I get there!

tpark
Tetraglot
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 6806 days ago

118 posts - 127 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Dutch, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 35
08 December 2008 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
There is a computer based language tool called "The Rhythm of French" that covers the phonetic differences between various regional accents. The tool is primarily for English speaking people who are trying to improve their French accent, but it has a section at the end that describes in detail specific differences.

jimbo baby!
United States
Joined 5737 days ago

202 posts - 208 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*

Message 8 of 35
08 December 2008 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
There is a Quebec French show called "Les têtes a claques" and it has French subtitles on the French version of the DVD. Some French speakers commented in the review section that the subtitles are very helpful in understanding the French spoken in Quebec.

This discussion contains 35 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version