Or "International Philology"?
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6505 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 26
11 December 2008 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Farley wrote:
Iversen wrote:
Philology doesn't imply the use of multiple languages, - you can in principle become a philologist just by studying the literature and culture of one single language...

Valid point, but ProfArguelles lessons still apply regardless of whether you study 1 or 10 languages. Philology seems to be the perfect word.

Valid point, but personally I prefer to be seen as a polyglot with an interest in cultural phenomena in general, not only literature. In spite of having studied philology at an institute with that word in its name I feel more comfortable with the word polyglottery.

peppelanguage
Triglot
Groupie
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5666 days ago

90 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 11 of 26
11 December 2008 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
mmm I thought a bit about it (REALLY REALLY a bit...) and I found "Policulture", "Policulturate" and "Policulturacy" to be fine...don't you think??I think they convey the sense of CULTURE more than language, that's true, but I think most of the polyglots know that to know WELL a Culture you need to know its language too...Even if I still like "polyglot" and "polyglottery" more than them...hope to be helpful...

best regards,

Giuseppe

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5700 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 12 of 26
12 December 2008 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
ProfA wrote:
While I was there, several friends, people very much in my corner, told me quite frankly that use of the word “polyglot” or its derivatives is inherently problematic and thus best avoided in academic circles as it tends to arouse at least one of two negative associations, namely pretension and/or dilettantism.

They criticised your word, but which suggestion had they for this, which they have found better?

Sometimes people are nasty and criticise but they haven't a better idea, especially if it's a new thing or different that what they think. They want always absolute conformity and they don't like other things, but if you like the word "polyglot" then those people must accept it I think. It's a clear word, the significance is internationally evident, which is good and therefore better that those other ones you wrote.

ProfArguelles
United States
foreignlanguageexper
Joined 7058 days ago

609 posts - 2102 votes 

Message 13 of 26
12 December 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
600 views and 12 responses within a 24 hour period - I never imagined that this topic would arouse so much interest!

Well, thank you all very, very much indeed for all the suggestions and the ideas. I am particularly enamored of some of the things Marc Frisch contributed, namely the whole idea of “polyliteracy,” the qualification of polyglottery with a preface of “cultural” or “literary,” and the substitution of SS for TT to obtain polyglossery. The last notion, in particular, is indeed a much prettier-sounding word that conveys the idea of studiousness even more than the original, suggesting building of multiples glossaries rather than merely multiple tongues. It also sounds similar enough without conveying the negative associations I was warned of…

As for the Arabic/Sanskrit/Chinese derivatives, while I clearly like the idea, I also quite obviously recognize that they are unfortunately all too alien to find acceptance…

The problem with philology is, as some have noted, that while the original comparative philology as practiced in the 19th century has disappeared, in certain countries there still exist “philological faculties,” and so it would require much padding, neo-comparative philology or something like that, to make it clear.

At any rate, I seem to sense a consensus that it might be best to stick with polyglottery. I do feel that, if there are those out there who make automatic negative associations because of prejudgments about the very notion of polyglots, then it would certainly be nice to reform the word, as it were, by establishing that it is possible to learn multiple languages well through serious applied study.

Well, I will continue to cogitate the matter, and hope that a few more suggestions and opinions come forward as well.

Many thanks to all!

Alexander Arguelles

didaskolos
United States
Joined 6644 days ago

10 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Sign Language, Mandarin

Message 14 of 26
12 December 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
Regular visitors to this room will know that I regard Polyglottery as a distinctive scholarly discipline consisting of two main features:

1.     the systematic, comparative, diachronic study of large numbers of languages, not only to understand them as linguistic phenomena, but also
2.     so as to be able to read the classic texts of the great books of the world’s major civilizations in their original tongues.

Unfortunately, academia is frequently characterized by inertia of thought as well as homogeneity of career development. There is often little tolerance for those who would dare transgress the traditions of their elders. Unfortunately, most academics will assess a "new" field on the basis of how it fits in with the existing framework of knowledge.

Most "new" fields are named by adding adjectives in front of the general field (e.g. "Solid-State Physics" or "High-Energy Physics"). Using an existing academic term will create an immediate link with the existing knowledge framework of academics. Using a new term will probably create an immediate impression that something does not fit in.
Adding a descriptive adjective or two in front of the accepted name for a discipline is probably the least disruptive course of action. Another possibility is using the adjectival form of an accepted term.

While not very elegant, terms such as "systematic multilingual philology", "comprehensive multilingual philology", or "systematic philological studies" would probably be more acceptable to academics. My gut feeling is that some term like "systematic" should be included to reflect the depth and breadth of the studies involved.

The most descriptive terms I can think of for 1. and 2. in the original post are:

1. Systematic Diachronic Comparative Philology (SDCP), and
2. Systematic Diachronic Comparative Philological Studies in the Humanities.

I know. "Unwieldy" and "ugly" may be compliments for these suggestions. However, put them in this context. "I am a researcher in systematic diachronic comparative philology. SDCP researchers spend years developing a basis of multilingual fluency in multiple language families in order to carry out comparative and diachronic studies of the world's languages and literature."

For comparison, here's what I do. 1. "I design magnets for use in sensors." versus
2. "I create algorithms for finding optimized and constrained solutions of permanent magnet designs using nonlinear local optimizations of closed formed solutions of Maxwell's equations and empirical data." Much of the time, I use number one. When I'm talking to technical people, it's number two.

I think that having two sets of terms and descriptions, academic and colloquial, is perhaps the best way to go. Among friends, it's "polyglottery"; among the erudite, it's "SDCP".

Steve

jmlgws
Canada
Joined 6904 days ago

102 posts - 104 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 15 of 26
14 December 2008 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
Professor Arguelles,

In "The Story of French" (Nadeau/Barlow), the authors describe the concept of "plurilingualism", i.e. the active promotion of using multiple languages (in this context, for international affairs, but presumably this could be applied elsewhere). This is distinct from multilingualism as an institution can use many official languages while each individual may not.

Perhaps what you are teaching/studying is "plurilinguality", and are training "plurilinguists"? I am not sure whether this is any more clear/less objectionable than "polyglottery/polyglots", but it might spur further thoughts from you or others here.

Best regards,

Lleweilun Smith

TheElvenLord
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5882 days ago

915 posts - 927 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Cornish, English*
Studies: Spanish, French, German
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin