Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6094 days ago

126 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 17 of 26
14 December 2008 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
I think a word coined from Sanskrit/Arabic/Chinese roots would be quite interesting actually. Modern physics already has a few coinages derived from English actually, like "quark", "glueball". Quarks are further divided into six "flavours": up, down, strange, charmed, top, bottom. I see no reason why the liberal arts should confine themselves to Graeco-Latin or French roots.
1 person has voted this message useful

Juan M.
Colombia
Joined 5681 days ago

460 posts - 597 votes 

Message 18 of 26
14 December 2008 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
quendidil wrote:
I think a word coined from Sanskrit/Arabic/Chinese roots would be quite interesting actually. Modern physics already has a few coinages derived from English actually, like "quark", "glueball". Quarks are further divided into six "flavours": up, down, strange, charmed, top, bottom. I see no reason why the liberal arts should confine themselves to Graeco-Latin or French roots.

I believe you're mistaken about that. The word 'quark' comes from Joyce. See Gell-Mann, The Quark and the Jaguar.

About the original question, how about something simple yet suggestive, such as humanistic linguistics?

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5933 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 19 of 26
15 December 2008 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
I would suggest adding a clarifier to polyglottery, such as "Applied Polyglottery", in order to differentiate it from a potential theoretical branch of study. Applied Polyglottery emphasises the learning of the languages, as opposed to the linguistic study of L2A learners. I toyed with the idea of, "Applied Polyxenolinguistics", but felt the name of the discipline shouldn't be harder to pronounce, than the languages themselves.

D.Malone.

Alkeides
Bhutan
Joined 5930 days ago

636 posts - 644 votes 

Message 20 of 26
15 December 2008 at 6:21am | IP Logged 
JuanM wrote:
quendidil wrote:

I believe you're mistaken about that. The word 'quark' comes from Joyce. See Gell-Mann, The Quark and the Jaguar.

About the original question, how about something simple yet suggestive, such as humanistic linguistics?

In that case, the original root of the word is still English; unless there is an Latin etymology of that word?

However, according to wikipedia, Gell-Mann originally named the quark after the sound ducks make and only later on used the spelling "quark" from Joyce.

ronp
Heptaglot
Australia
ronpeek.blogspo
Joined 5876 days ago

33 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Finnish, Macedonian, Hindi, Greek, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Basque, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Sign Language
Studies: Turkish, Swahili

Message 21 of 26
16 December 2008 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
Dear Professor,

I read through your post and the replies with great interest. (In particular,
after having created the thread 'Are You A Polyglot And Why (Not)?' in the
'Polyglot' forum, to obtain some insight into key issues in defining 'polyglot',
an area I am currently researching.)

One cannot always control or predict the variety of (positive or negative)
associations people will have when hearing words such as 'polyglot' or
'polyglottery'. However, I believe that as long as you define these in the
way you would like to use them, and this is clear to others, there should be
no problem. As for 'polyglottery', it seems to have become quite established
already here. In a way, as with any new discipline, it is also about educating
people and terms/disciplines take time to become established (e.g. 'psychoanalysis').

As a result, I would be inclined to suggest the following:

1. Stay with the overall term 'polyglottery'

2. Polyglottery as an academic discipline contains two related
      sub-disciplines or strands:

i) CMLA - comparative multiple language acquisition
    ii) Polyliteracy -

This would combine some of the suggestions made by others.

I personally like 'polyliteracy' (to be distinguished from 'multiliteracy'!),
which seems to capture your idea of a reading/study of greats text nicely.
As for 'multiple language acquistion', it can be diachronic and/or synchronic,
to which I would add 'comparative'.

In my mind, this would relate it to, but also differentiate it from, existing
academic disciplines (e.g. linguistics, language acquisition, cultural studies,
literature, etc.), so it does not appear too much 'out of the blue'.

I hope this helps and look forward to your future ponderings.

Ron Peek (ronp)

Edited by ronp on 16 December 2008 at 5:01pm

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5494 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Hindi

Message 22 of 26
05 April 2009 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Anthrophilology came to my mind almost instantly. I believe it's all greek as well. Anthropos - human, philos - beloved, logos - reason. You can take it further and say archaeophilology since that implies study of human culture through remains, although archaeology was derived from cultural anthropology "in the first place." I've always interpreted anthropology to simply mean the study of cultures and so I think it fits well.

Edited by Rout on 12 April 2009 at 5:59pm

be2lewis
United States
Joined 5605 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 23 of 26
16 April 2009 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
Comparitive Polyglottery

Polylingual Studies

Anthrolingual Studies

Anthrolinguistics, Anthro Linguistics

Anthropological Linguistics (my persoanl favorite) clear, familiar sounding, already used?

Comparitive Anthrolingual Studies, (Anthrolingual, I like that)

Multicultural Linguistics

Anthropological Lingual Studies

*****Lingual Anthropology ***** Five stars for this one. (Is it already used?)

This is very enjoyable. You should host a contest. Lingual Anthropology would win :)

Lingual..Anthropological..etc. are not new or at all "on the cutting edge" terms. They are recognizable words that would bring the concept home to most English speakers that heard it. It wouldn't be a puzzle because it is so transparent. If you want to open this discipline up to as many as are interested then transparency seems an important ingredient.

Lingual Anthropology vs. Polyglotery.....It's the "glot" syllable that is somewhat offensive. It's like something in your "gullet." It just sounds rude. As if something were happening way down in your throat, glutteral noises as opposed to melodious lingual song.

Whatever you choose will be very fitting. I still vote for "Lingual Anthropology."
The study of humanity via language.

If someone thinks dilettantism, it only reflects that their current paradigm that in depth multiple language learning is too difficult to realize. Nothing would sound good to them because they aren't able to conceive of the meaning as possible.

Thank you for allowing me to contribute.

Edited by be2lewis on 16 April 2009 at 8:02am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 24 of 26
02 May 2009 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
ProfArguelles wrote:
a distinctive scholarly discipline consisting of two main features:

1.     the systematic, comparative, diachronic study of large numbers of languages, not only to understand them as linguistic phenomena, but also
2.     so as to be able to read the classic texts of the great books of the world’s major civilizations in their original tongues.

Multilingual Classicist.
Megalingual Classicist.
Hyperlingual Classicist.

Edited by luke on 14 June 2009 at 12:50am

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version