IndhuRen
Diglot
India
Joined 5569 days ago

2 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Tamil*, English

Message 105 of 221
07 March 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I really hope to see a video of Moses holding a conversation in languages like Mandarin,
Korean, German or Japanese with native speakers.....
1 person has voted this message useful

spanishlearner
Groupie
France
Joined 5236 days ago

51 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 106 of 221
08 March 2010 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
I saw Mr. McCormick's video speaking Spanish, and have two observations:

* His Spanish is quite poor.
* If all the languages he used to list here (about 50) are at the same level though, I would be mesmerized and he could rightly be proud of what he has achieved.

About the controversy at hand, he shouldn't be so sensitive to criticism.
12 persons have voted this message useful

IndhuRen
Diglot
India
Joined 5569 days ago

2 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: Tamil*, English

Message 107 of 221
08 March 2010 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
BTW, I am a native Tamil speaker. I looked at some of the videos of Moses teaching Tamil.
There are spelling mistakes in the Tamil words he has written on the board. I am not
saying this to pick on him, I am very happy that an American is learning Tamil. However,
I feel that Moses should be more careful about what he is teaching, especially when so
many people hold him in high regard....
9 persons have voted this message useful

Sayumi
Groupie
Japan
Joined 5200 days ago

51 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Japanese

Message 108 of 221
08 March 2010 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
His achievement resides in the breadth of his linguistic studies and the fact he has taken the time to learn less well-know, "exotic", languages like, well, Tamil, for one.

His method doesn't really comport with my style of learning, but I suppose different people have different goals and ambitions. Should he be teaching any of his languages, though? No, I don't think so, as he isn't particularly skilled in any of them. His use of the highly informal, dialectical version of "really" (ホンマ) coupled with the overly formal でございます endings is something you wouldn't expect from anyone who had even an inkling of a clue as to how the language works. Other blunders include "直してくれるができます” and so on.

Edited by Sayumi on 08 March 2010 at 12:31pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5598 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 109 of 221
08 March 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
spanishlearner wrote:
I saw Mr. McCormick's video speaking Spanish, and have two observations:

* His Spanish is quite poor.
* If all the languages he used to list here (about 50) are at the same level though, I would be mesmerized and he could rightly be proud of what he has achieved.

About the controversy at hand, he shouldn't be so sensitive to criticism.

Hey there,

Yes, I agree with you. I do have a lot of work to put into my Spanish. Thanks for the kind comment.

Moses McCormick

laoshu505000
United States
Joined 5598 days ago

121 posts - 232 votes 

Message 110 of 221
08 March 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Sayumi wrote:
His achievement resides in the breadth of his linguistic studies and the fact he has taken the time to learn less well-know, "exotic", languages like, well, Tamil, for one.

His method doesn't really comport with my style of learning, but I suppose different people have different goals and ambitions. Should he be teaching any of his languages, though? No, I don't think so, as he isn't particularly skilled in any of them. His use of the highly informal, dialectical version of "really" (ホンマ) coupled with the overly formal でございます endings is something you wouldn't expect from anyone who had even an inkling of a clue as to how the language works. Other blunders include "直してくれるができます” and so on.

Hey,

Thanks for the comment. I will take on your advice.

Kugel
United States
Joined 6320 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 111 of 221
09 March 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I totally agree that attempting to teach a foreign language is a great way to learn a foreign language. This is why
nearly every subject in university requires comprehensive papers, making the student prove he or she knows the
material. The thing is that these papers are eventually graded and gleaned over for errors. Therefore, I think
that any videos or websites for language teaching must meet one of two things:

1. Native speaker or near native speaker. Formal certification(or formal academic work/business work) if the
language learnt was done through self-study.

2. Obviously, most of us fall in into a category of not being a native speaker. If you don't have native fluency
capabilities, then following standards is the fair thing to do...for youself and for others. If the language learning
material is taken from grammar manuals or programs, then use proper citation if you take languages seriously in
an academic setting. If it's done on an informal basis, then at least informally cite your source by mentioning a
few names and books. If the exercises and grammar points are straight out of a book, then having a native
speaker on hand isn't necessary. If you are paraphrasing and venturing into uncharted waters, then having a
native speaker check for corrections is necessary.     

adrian_r
Tetraglot
Sweden
Joined 5506 days ago

2 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, Swedish, German, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Finnish

Message 112 of 221
12 March 2010 at 9:16am | IP Logged 
There are no rules for who should or shouldn't upload videos of themselves teaching or speaking languages. It is, rather, up to the viewer/learner to evaluate the resources available before wholeheartedly accepting certain things as eternal truths. This is why any feedback on Moses' language abilities can be very helpful. Knowing his techniques, how he allocates his time, how long he studies a language AND the results he achieves allows us to decide whether or not his methods will help us achieve our goals.

Anyone publishing videos of themselves on a public forum such as you tube should, however, surely accept the fact that they are exposing themselves both to potential praise and potential criticism...

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version