United Kingdom
Joined 5154 days ago

244 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Icelandic, Hindi, Irish

Message 137 of 221
24 April 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Budz wrote:
I too find the videos interesting... but usually the pace is a bit slow for me. When you're trying to learn 10 languages or so at a time, it's hard to give up 9 and a half minutes to watch a video that doesn't really contain that much information. Though yes, I do watch a few of them and I'm always interested to see what the new ones are about as I've picked up a lot of useful info from them... mainly on resources that I didn't know about.

I'd be more interested in making some videos out 'in the field', speaking to locals on actual trips to these countries, but it's so difficult to get me or them to be really natural. Making videos is a real art.

I have to agree with you here. His videos can be very useful to watch but I often struggle to watch an entire video and there's a lot of stumbling and repetition with the presentation. Not that I'd be any better making videos myself, but I prefer watching the video style of someone like glossika or ProfASAr.

However, few Youtube polyglots are so open and responsive to so many users. I'd hate for him to lose this edge. As you mentioned, when he presents his resources they often turn out to be very useful. It's just a pity I'm not learning/planning to learn any (I think) of the languages he's learning at the moment. I'm struggling enough as it is to find good resources for Icelandic, so I can see how valuable videos like this must be for people learning rarer languages.

Either way, the volume of his output into the community is ridiculously high and of decent quality (he knows what he's talking about and is learning languages for great personal reasons) and for that he can only be thanked!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5120 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 138 of 221
24 April 2010 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
PaulLambeth wrote:
Budz wrote:
I too find the videos interesting... but usually the pace is a bit slow for me. When you're trying to learn 10 languages or so at a time, it's hard to give up 9 and a half minutes to watch a video that doesn't really contain that much information. Though yes, I do watch a few of them and I'm always interested to see what the new ones are about as I've picked up a lot of useful info from them... mainly on resources that I didn't know about.

I'd be more interested in making some videos out 'in the field', speaking to locals on actual trips to these countries, but it's so difficult to get me or them to be really natural. Making videos is a real art.

I have to agree with you here. His videos can be very useful to watch but I often struggle to watch an entire video and there's a lot of stumbling and repetition with the presentation. Not that I'd be any better making videos myself, but I prefer watching the video style of someone like glossika or ProfASAr.

However, few Youtube polyglots are so open and responsive to so many users. I'd hate for him to lose this edge. As you mentioned, when he presents his resources they often turn out to be very useful. It's just a pity I'm not learning/planning to learn any (I think) of the languages he's learning at the moment. I'm struggling enough as it is to find good resources for Icelandic, so I can see how valuable videos like this must be for people learning rarer languages.

Either way, the volume of his output into the community is ridiculously high and of decent quality (he knows what he's talking about and is learning languages for great personal reasons) and for that he can only be thanked!

Exactly, I agree that ProfAsar and glossika have an excellent style that more Polyglots should use or mirror. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5450 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 139 of 221
25 April 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Moses has his own style, and it is great to see his passion and accomplishments. The fact that he is entirely self-taught is admirable and inspiring. If he were to copy the more formal and academic style of, say, Professor Arguelles of Glossika I fear he would lose his authenticity.

We wouldn't expect to tell the Beatles they should copy Bach because he was more formal. The great thing about youtube is that the viewer decides what they watch, and if you don't like the style of a particular speaker you can just turn to other channels where you feel more comfortable.

Personally, I subscribe to the channel of all three of these just-mentioned polyglots, and admire and enjoy each of them for different reasons. If they started to be homogeneous I feel we would lose something.

Edited by Splog on 25 April 2010 at 12:07pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5261 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 140 of 221
04 June 2010 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
Deji wrote:
I have been learning Bengali for about 4 years. I watched Moses' Bengali
U-tube. I have to say that I speak better
than he does accent and style-wise (which isn't exactly something to brag about after 4
years, especially
considering I think he had about 8 hours of instruction) BUT his analysis of what words
to learn first and how to use
them were brilliant and I've gotten a lot of help out of them and used them in our
class. The big issue for many
language learners is how to start TALKING to actual PEOPLE. Inshallah.

hey are you referring to the FLRR technique ? i'm just curious.

1 person has voted this message useful

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5261 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 141 of 221
07 July 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Moses, I am also wondering if you keep track of your language study records? Like how
much you do, when, and what language. I'd think it'd be more than interesting for your
followers to take a look at something like that.
3 persons have voted this message useful

FrauLola
Diglot
United States
Joined 5037 days ago

5 posts - 8 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, English
Studies: German, Russian, Swedish

Message 142 of 221
14 July 2010 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
I subscribe to his channel on youtube also. I am just starting to watch his FLR technique video and it is very interesting. In part because this is kind of the method I've been trying to use with learning languages... but just not so well thought out. I'm very grateful that he is sharing all of this on Youtube with us... for FREE. That's what I like about Youtube and also blogs. When people use it for such a wonderful purpose.

Maybe one day there will be a Youtube only for foreign language learning and linguistics to cut out all the junk and clutter. One can always dream. :)

Well, I'll end by encouraging Moses, and yourself professor, to keep up the great work. And thanks for sharing your knowledge and tips with the rest of us aspiring polyglots.

Spasiba!

*EDIT*
I also would like to know what Po-ru (above) is asking!

I actually saw the professors video on this method and have been using it for the past few days. It's quite exciting. I'm actually working on a blog right now and will be posting my study logs for anyone interested/bored. :)

Edited by FrauLola on 14 July 2010 at 5:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

loveroflanguage
Groupie
United States
Joined 5147 days ago

57 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 143 of 221
14 August 2010 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Wow...suddenly, this thread seemed to turn into "testosterone" preening! lol! I don't care whether he can pronounce something perfectly, have an accent or not have an accent, etc. etc. I am just impressed that Moses is a wonderful young man who shares our passion for learning and love of languages. Who could not love that? How many 20-somethings can we look at in our daily lives that are doing that? (I'm not talking about on here, that would be cheating! lol!) Most are at the bar, out with the guys, screwing around or not even thinking of something connected with learning at all--unless it was the latest video game. Can't we just be happy for him and encourage him to continue?

He has dedicated a lot of time and energy to doing and sharing something he loves and I don't believe once did he say he was an expert on anything? :o) I think that it is indeed admirable what he has accomplished and I hope that if he does turn his focus onto more direct learning of a language or three or five; wow, would be awesome! I just love that he is sharing at all. Speaking as a Black person, he is doing something no one in my hood would EVER do or be motivated enough to try. He gets my kudos for that ALONE. We don't have enough young black people motivated to achieve higher learning, period; so to see him just getting his thing on, is a BIG motivation to me and I hope to other young people I plan to show and share his videos with.

Moses, you are an inspiration and I hope that you one day will learn enough and decide to teach others languages, especially to the under privileged youth in your city, who don't think they can do anything. My hat's off to you and may you continue to strive and learn! Thanks for the link, Professor, I never would have seen this if you hadn't posted it!
12 persons have voted this message useful

Huliganov
Octoglot
Poland
huliganov.tvRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5136 days ago

91 posts - 304 votes 
Speaks: English*, Polish, French, German, Russian, Spanish, Esperanto, Czech
Studies: Romanian, Turkish, Mandarin, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 144 of 221
01 November 2010 at 1:42pm | IP Logged 
There's more than one way to be a polyglot. Let's allow the not-strictly-true-but-true-enough assumption that the average word in any linguist's portfolio takes the same time to learn, and let's give a value of one minute to that.

One polyglot learns 60,000 words taking 60,000 minutes of his life but these are divided over 60 languages. This Polylot speaks 60 languages with one thousand words in each language.

Another has learned 60,000 words taking 60,000 minutes of his life, but these words are concentrated into 4 languages. He speaks 4 languages with 15,000 words in each language.

Questions.

1. Which of these two polyglots has learned more language?

2. Which is the greater linguist and polyglot?

3. Who worked harder?

4. Who has the greater achievement?

5. Who has the more impressive achievement?

6. Who gets more utility from his work?

Anyone who can answer these questions, kindly go ahead.
Because I can't.

Edited by Huliganov on 01 November 2010 at 1:46pm

18 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 221 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version