Diglot
United States
Joined 5334 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 81 of 139
13 March 2010 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
But if an English speaking person came to my country and approached the average person in English, his mother tongue, the average person would bend over backwards to try to accomodate and help him in English. The same is true for most people across Europe except if you approach a busy person, somebody who had a bad day or failed school English...

Nobody's forcing you. If you don't want to speak English, then don't. You are not in an English-speaking country. 70% of your country speaks English fluently and at this rate your language won't last another century. It's up to the natives to do something, but they've all given up their culture for American culture.
4 persons have voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 82 of 139
13 March 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
kyssäkaali wrote:
70% of your country speaks English fluently and at this rate your language won't last another century. It's up to the natives to do something, but they've all given up their culture for American culture.

Hehe ;-) did you deliberately miss my point? What you are saying is certainly true but it was NOT the main point of my rant...

Sad that an American notices this tragic situation, but locals don't.

Well, like I said in the Scandinavian lounge -- they'll wake up to reality in 2050 or so, when their grandkids address them in English and aren't able to talk proper Swedish. Suddenly won't be so 'cool' and cosmopolitan to use English for everything anymore.. But then it will be too late...
Different topic though, and different rant.

1 person has voted this message useful

Rabochnok
Diglot
Colombia
Joined 5391 days ago

37 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Turkish, Persian

Message 83 of 139
13 March 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:

And you wonder why there are NO active French speaking members of this forum???
(apart from Admin who is Swiss).

Arekkusu, Wilco, Hello, Spiderkat, and others. That's looking at recently posting French speakers, and only the natives.

kmart
Australia
Joined 5905 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 85 of 139
14 March 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
stout wrote:
kmart wrote:
stout wrote:
Many French people are not always tolerant and forgiving to foreigners who are not fluent in their language.

I visited Paris for a week ...
I probably sounded like a 3 year-old with a serious speech impediment, but people persisted with me, and worked out what I needed.

Well good for you.

My husband says I get this super-helpless look that probably moves people to sympathy, like a baby deer in the car headlights. He often sends me to do errands that involve making unreasonable requests - maybe it was the same thing in Paris...
;-)

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5619 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 86 of 139
14 March 2010 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Exactly -- it probably matters more how you come across than the exact size of your vocabulary or your grammar skills.

But of course, in any country there are people who are unfriendly to EVERYONE, people who hate foreigners or people who are so busy that they don't have time for nonsense from anyone. They'd be just as dismissive to a local.

But a smile, some humility and apologising for your poor skills wins most people sympathy if you are asking directions, shopping or ordering at a restaurant.
Try people who are less busy, for example ask an older person for direction. They are also less likely to know English.

Remember also cultural differences. In many countries people do NOT strike up conversations with strangers whether they are local, tourists or anything else. If you find this rude, it's YOUR problem.

If you want people to give everyone a phony smile, chat about the weather and say "have a nice day", then avoid most of Europe although you could get lucky in Britain.

In Southern Europe a good looking woman can have as many "practice conversations" she likes, based on a vocabulary of 10 words... Whereas the same opportunity might not be open for male learners.

2 persons have voted this message useful

vb
Octoglot
Afghanistan
Joined 6203 days ago

112 posts - 135 votes 
Speaks: English, Romanian, French, Polish, Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Swedish

Message 87 of 139
14 March 2010 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
My experiences:
France: determined: either to force English or deny any knowledge of the place
Lithuania: flat-out astonised, very appreciative
Romania: couldn't care less either way
Italy: pleased
Germany: amused and pleased

kyssäkaali
Diglot
United States
Joined 5334 days ago

203 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English*, Finnish

Message 88 of 139
14 March 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Remember also cultural differences. In many countries people do NOT strike up conversations with strangers whether they are local, tourists or anything else. If you find this rude, it's YOUR problem.

If you want people to give everyone a phony smile, chat about the weather and say "have a nice day", then avoid most of Europe although you could get lucky in Britain.

I really don't want to say anything because I don't want you to think I'm singling you out or picking on you, but this is so obviously a crack at Americans, being as the whole phony smile and "have a nice day" thing is the stereotype here.

That isn't what this thread is about in the slightest. No one here is upset because they can't make small talk with people on the bus. The issue here is much more significant and touches on people being rude to those struggling in their language.

I just... don't get it. You really seem to hate English-speakers (at least Americans), and yet here you are. The fact that you automatically go and assume I speak my second language with a thick "English accent" is enough to show me how judgemental you are of either Americans or English-speakers in general.

Get. Over. Yourself.

Edited by kyssäkaali on 14 March 2010 at 10:19pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version