Bulgaria
Joined 5820 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 113 of 139
04 April 2010 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
In life, you get out what you put in.

If, like tracker465, you approach language as a means of demonstrating respect to its speakers, you'll generally be appreciated.

Maybe in an ideal world you would be appreciated. The unfortunate reality is that regardless of how respectful and humble you are there are some people who just want to be rude. But as I said, it's not a question of a certain nationality being rude. It's a fact of life in every country.

Cainntear wrote:
If you take too much pride in your language learning ability, if you expect it to earn you respect, it won't. If you're the sort of person who uses a term like "ungrateful natives", I would suspect you're in that category.

And if you have too little respect for your own abilities, then it will look as if you know much less than you actually do.

Edited by Sennin on 04 April 2010 at 5:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6233 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 114 of 139
04 April 2010 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Must be telepathy or something. What's with this "grateful" business?
1 person has voted this message useful

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5624 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 115 of 139
04 April 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
Kurkko wrote:
This far the most nasty native speakers have been the Swedes. I truly hope that I've only bumped into the wrong people. I feel like whenever I go, my accent will always follow me.

I am so sorry you had this experience! And embarrassed too! I don't know where you were or what sort of people you ran into but they must have been complete idiots and I'd like to have a talk with every single one of them.

Someone ought to take them and dump them right in a remote corner of East Finland where Swedish is not popular... and then force them to to learn Finnish and be laughed at by the Finns. That'd teach them to have an attitude with Finnish people and appreciate the efforts of those in fi who study Swedish.

Sorry this happened to you. Btw - the Finnish accent is beautiful, everyone loves it.
This is particularly awful since Finnish people are great to me when I visit, and speak Swedish even though it's not their mothertongue. The thought of these rude people makes my blood boil!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 116 of 139
30 April 2010 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion it boils down to expectations.
English and French speaking people expect you to speak their language - so they are less than patient if you do not. People who speak Spanish and Portoguese and Italian are less likly to expect that, and are therefore happy that you make an effort. I am more surprised by Finns and Slovaks being unappreciative.

Learning someone's language is a sign of respect - not learning it(after a long time in the country) is a sign of disrespect. I will therefore be extremely appreciative of foreigners who learn Norwegian because they want to, or who have made a big effort while they have been here, but I would be considerably less appreciative of those who have lived here for years but have not bothered to.

Generally I have had very positive reactions wherever I am, from people because they do appreciate the effort - and the respect for them - that I show by learning their language. Like many I have had negative experiences in France, when my French was still very poor, and been puzzled to see that I was treated like a member of the family by the exact same people, when I came back 6 months later speaking fluent French. We are all different - and some things the French do come across as very impolite to Norwegians, and some things Norwegians do come across as very impolite to the French.

During Easter, I used all (the few :-)Russian word I knew, and everyone encouraged me, and the day I actually managed to put together a full sentence, which was both understandable, original and funny, I literally got a standing ovation, and kisses.

I wish that kind of reception for all language learners. :-)
7 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5710 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 117 of 139
01 May 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
tritone wrote:
Arekkusu wrote:
When I was 15, my family and I went to Paris. My first language is French; I'm Québécois.
My interest for languages was just developing at the time. While shopping in Les Galeries
Lafayette, I spotted a lady with an Assimil plastic bag. I really wanted to know where I
could find such a store so I went up to her to ask.

You know what she answered?

"Pourquoi, vous voulez apprendre le français?" [Why, you want to learn French?]

It would have been hard to find a more insulting reply, but hey, life is life.

LOL.

I have been one of those rude people before, simply because I wasn't familiar with their accent and assumed it to be non-native. Actually a lot of English speaking foreigners here get asked, "where did you learn English"? and things like that.

I had trouble understanding a lady I used to work with, and one day out of curiousity I asked her "What's your native language?". To my suprise and embarrasment, she replied "English! I'm Guyanese!"
I speak American English with a somewhat distinctive drawl and when I lived in Eastern Canada 15 years ago I was sometimes asked "Where are you from? That's an unusual accent" or "Is English your first language?" I knew no one meant to be rude, but I would still often answer these questions by saying "Is my accent really that difficult to understand?" they would invariably say, "No" and sometimes they sounded very bitter. This was annoying because I don't expect gratitude or praise from others when speaking English or any other language I just want to converse with them.

Edited by mick33 on 01 May 2010 at 10:58pm

noriyuki_nomura
Bilingual Octoglot
Switzerland
Joined 5126 days ago

304 posts - 465 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, Japanese, FrenchC2, GermanC2, ItalianC1, SpanishB2, DutchB1
Studies: TurkishA1, Korean

Message 118 of 139
02 May 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
In my opinion it boils down to expectations.
English and French speaking people expect you to speak their language - so they are less than patient if you do not. People who speak Spanish and Portoguese and Italian are less likly to expect that, and are therefore happy that you make an effort. I am more surprised by Finns and Slovaks being unappreciative.

Learning someone's language is a sign of respect - not learning it(after a long time in the country) is a sign of disrespect. I will therefore be extremely appreciative of foreigners who learn Norwegian because they want to, or who have made a big effort while they have been here, but I would be considerably less appreciative of those who have lived here for years but have not bothered to.

Generally I have had very positive reactions wherever I am, from people because they do appreciate the effort - and the respect for them - that I show by learning their language. Like many I have had negative experiences in France, when my French was still very poor, and been puzzled to see that I was treated like a member of the family by the exact same people, when I came back 6 months later speaking fluent French. We are all different - and some things the French do come across as very impolite to Norwegians, and some things Norwegians do come across as very impolite to the French.

During Easter, I used all (the few :-)Russian word I knew, and everyone encouraged me, and the day I actually managed to put together a full sentence, which was both understandable, original and funny, I literally got a standing ovation, and kisses.

I wish that kind of reception for all language learners. :-)

I agree with Solfrid Cristin's account above. I had exactly the same negative experience in Paris when my French was poorer. Weirdly, I was 'criticised' for being pro-anglo saxon just because my French was weaker while English is more of a native language to me...thank god not every French whom I met are like that...my personal experience is, French outside Paris are way nicer and friendlier than Parisians.

I also discovered that, my Russian colleagues are so much more encouraging than the French for example, when a foreigner makes the effort to learn their language. I did my best to squeeze out some Russian sentences that I learnt from Assimil's chapters 1 - 3, and my Russian colleagues were almost like giving me a standing ovation...

Another nice folk whom I met are the Swiss Germans. Whenever I tried my best to speak some Swiss German, I find the Swiss will be very happy about and generally would encourage you...a very friendly and polite folk...

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5126 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 119 of 139
06 May 2010 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
In fact you can find ungrateful natives all over the world. I had quite a bad experience with the Spanish but as soon as my Spanish became fluent, Ive never seen other reaction than respect (it is perhaps because they think their language is difficult, which of course is not true :) it is beautiful, sexy, very useful, "lengua para el dialogo" and everything else but difficult). Then Ive had a similar experience with the French, but never with the English or the Americans. I agree with the explanation that they are used to everyone speaking their language more than anyone else.

Coming from a small country in the heart of Europe, I always greatly appreciate to hear a foreigner speak my language (Slovak or Czech) and I always encourage them to go on learning. I feel in that a certain kind of esteem towards us.

And learning "small" languages possesses particular charm...

Edited by Euphorion on 07 May 2010 at 12:34am

clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4964 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 120 of 139
27 September 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
nissimb wrote:
Yes, in my case, the Japanese. Although I would not call them "ungrateful", as nobody made fun of my mistakes when I was in studying in Japan and spoke Japanese with them. They were just unappreciative and disinterested. I always felt that their attitude was like "you are interested in Japan and have studied Japanese, so what?". I had really wonderful experiences with Koreans and Indonesians, even though my knowledge of Korean and Indonesian was (and still is) pathetic.

me too~~
Often Japanese people say things like "your Japanese is very good" though, but I find Korean and Indonesians (on pen pal websites), much more interested if you study their language.
I have tons of Korean friends on pen pal sites, but only few Japanese ones. (I recommend talking to women over 30, there are easier to talk mostly, by my opinion).

But many Japanese, don't find it strange for foreigner to learn their language, unfortunately :(

You can make some friends, but still, it's probably due to the manga wave,

but If you think about it, Koreans have their drama too~~ and korean is pretty popular in Asia too~~.

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version