Slovakia
Joined 4734 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Czech, Slovak*, German, English, Russian
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, French, Italian, Spanish

Message 137 of 139
11 July 2011 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
rlf1810 wrote:
No, I don't have any Slovak ancestry. I've been here for 3 months now, and I'm not attending any type of Slovak course.

The mistakes that people have made fun of are typically very small. Using the wrong preposition for example.

Anyway, the reasons and so forth matter not. I'm just curious how you all would/do deal with these types of situations.

But in some cases it may change the meaning of the sentence. But sure they laughed because the errors were neat or cute. Come on. You are doing well. Thumb up.
1 person has voted this message useful

xander.XVII
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4841 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 138 of 139
24 July 2011 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Well, I don't agree with those who say Anglophones are the most ungrateful.
I've been to England four times and I have always been receveid with kindness and
politeness.
Maybe my opinion is less important owing to the fact that I went to family who were
accustomed to host foreigners (and so they ought to be more kind and hospitable), anyway
also in shops or elsewhere I found people if not kind, at least not arrogant or unpolite,
otherwise they treated as everybody else.
This can be connected to the spreading all over the world of English, but otherwise how
should they react?
Kiss and flatter us?
3 persons have voted this message useful

my lost lenore
Diglot
Turkey
Joined 4584 days ago

6 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Turkish*, English
Studies: Russian, Arabic (classical)

Message 139 of 139
07 October 2011 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
rlf1810 wrote:
Hello all,

I'm wondering how many of you have problems with natives of your target language being ungrateful of your efforts.

Since I've been in Slovakia, I've had numerous people make fun of and otherwise ridicule my mistakes, no matter their seriousness. I really didn't expect such a harsh reception and it is somewhat discouraging.

How do you deal with these types of people?

-Robert

Trying to speak Turkish always appreciating in Turkey. And you will start with a positive look on peoples minds. But some people had fun with my English as expected :P

Edited by my lost lenore on 07 October 2011 at 4:30pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 139 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version